Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-08-13, 05:02 PM  
SarahJane

Who does workout videos AND goes to the gym?

So I joined the Y about 1.5 months ago and at first I had a honeymoon period and really enjoyed it. I've been trying to do both the Y AND my workout videos but lately I've been finding excuses not to go. It's a 30 minute drive roundtrip, and honestly I don't do anything there I couldn't do at home. I've been doing the free weights for upper body (which I have at home... just don't have as heavy of weights but could easily buy some) and I don't do any lower body because I am sticking with barre for that. For cardio, sure there's an elliptical and AMT machine but I have a perfectly functioning treadmill at home, plus I live in San Diego where the weather is always perfect for walking. I tried their zumba class and spinning class and liked it okay but didn't love it, plus I'd have to do it on someone else's schedule. This is probably why I've been a vidiot for the past, oh, 9 years. So, why do I need to keep this gym membership? Anyone combine the 2 and do well with it?
Old 02-08-13, 05:11 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

I did that successfully only at one time in my life, and the gym I belonged to was literally 5 minutes from my house. If it's THAT convenient, it works. Otherwise, I think the temptation would be to stay home and work out there (depending on what kind of an equipment collection you have.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:27 PM  
sciencelady

I do!

I've got a great fitness center at work that I use as my gym (1 minute commute time to the gym ). They offer classes I enjoy over the lunch hour (spin, kickboxing, bosu, step, pilates, yoga, bootcamp, weight toning, etc.), trainers for personal training available, and have good lifting equipment that exceeds anything I would have in my house. I use the space in the exercise room to do heavy rope work (which ain't happening at home), sled pushes and pulls, and their DVD player to do my videos when I can't fit a regularly scheduled class into my day or if I don't want to do my own designed workout. The exercise room also has specialty aerobic flooring so impact is modified . In the weight room, I use the squat rack (also used for pullups), benches and cable machines as well as a nice selection of kettlebells. Frankly, couldn't ask for a better set up for me. Other than some yoga/stretching vids, I don't do much at home any more.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:36 PM  
Fitstick

I have the same opportunity with a beautiful gym and classes offered at my work - but hardly ever use it. I find having to shower and get ready again after lunch to be a pain. I like to roll out of bed, do my workout and be done for the day. Hence a gym does not really appeal to me.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:42 PM  
zippity

Me! Not the gym, but a yoga studio, mostly because I love the heat! I still try to do video workouts one day per week, but the dvds are kind of piling up lately.
Old 02-08-13, 05:50 PM  
TracyQ

I do. I have two gym memberships actually. I go to lunch hour Yoga classes at the gym near my office and I go to 5:30 am Spin classes at the gym near my house. I lift weights and work my core at home.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 05:53 PM  
TracyQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I do!

I've got a great fitness center at work that I use as my gym (1 minute commute time to the gym ). They offer classes I enjoy over the lunch hour (spin, kickboxing, bosu, step, pilates, yoga, bootcamp, weight toning, etc.), trainers for personal training available, and have good lifting equipment that exceeds anything I would have in my house. I use the space in the exercise room to do heavy rope work (which ain't happening at home), sled pushes and pulls, and their DVD player to do my videos when I can't fit a regularly scheduled class into my day or if I don't want to do my own designed workout. The exercise room also has specialty aerobic flooring so impact is modified . In the weight room, I use the squat rack (also used for pullups), benches and cable machines as well as a nice selection of kettlebells. Frankly, couldn't ask for a better set up for me. Other than some yoga/stretching vids, I don't do much at home any more.
Wow! Your work fitness center sounds fantastic. You are so lucky.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 06:13 PM  
punkrockmom
VF Supporter

I've done it for a few years. I went back & forth between dvds & the gym doing one or the other exclusively for awhile. Lately I've gotten into a groove where I do both. I was doing bodypump classes 2x a week. I tried to add a third day but had no motivation to make it to the friday class so I starting doing Jackie Warners circuit training dvd fridays. Right now I'm doing JMBR & still doing the bodypump classes. I'm thinking of getting a cardio set to do after I finish JMBR.

I have a membership at a chain where I can go to a few different locations. I don't think I'd go if it wasn't so close.
punkrockmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 06:41 PM  
trevs_mom

Sarah,

I aim to get up at 5:30am to workout at home with my DVD's. On the occasional (*cough*) day that doesn't happen. There is a small gym at my work with occasional classes (Pump, Super Circuit, Bootcamp, etc). On Thurs and Fri (and the occasional Wed) I have time in my schedule to hit up the gym for a long lunch.

I like the freedom of having this option .. but I don't see myself picking up a gym membership just for this option. I would never go in the evenings (between kiddos soccer and gymnastics and homework, plus dinner .. there is just no time.) Weekends I try to do fun stuff with the kids (the indoor trampoline place).

Quote:
DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
trevs_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 07:08 PM  
marymacbaby

I have both. I tend to do my weights at home with DVDs and cardio at gym. Spin class, swimming and treadmill running. When I have taken weight classes I feel they just don' t compare to my DVDs. I also prefer my yoga tapes at home, usually I only like to do 30 minutes.
marymacbaby is offline   Reply With Quote