Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-17, 03:24 PM  
alisoncooks

Runners - what does your exercise week look like?

My oldest daughter has decided she wants to take up running. I hate running...in fact, I hate most forms of cardio. But when your 11 year old wants you as a running partner, you don't say no, and you rearrange your workout schedule to accommodate.

We are so new with the "running" (which is mostly walking, at this point) that it is taxing for me. I still want to include strength workouts, though, I'm just not sure if it's too much. Or when I should do what (i.e. Leg day the same day as a run? Alternate days -- but do my legs need a rest day?)

So...if you run regularly, what else do you do? Please tell me about your exercise week?
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 05:47 PM  
Vantreesta

I have been inconsistent for so long that I can't give good advice on a schedule but I just wanted to mention how much I love the Couch to 5k app by Zen Labs. It tells you when to walk and when to run. My brother and I both use it all the time (well, we're using their 10k trainer app but the first 8 weeks are the same as the C25k). It's free so no loss if you don't like it. I love that you will be running with your daughter! I wish my brother lived in this state or that my hubby would run with me! Cheers to you both!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 06:29 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

No advice Alison but can your daughter really be 11 already?!?
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 07:09 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Alison,

That is so cool that you'll be running with your daughter. My son started running at about that same age and continued with Cross Country all the way through high school. I've been a runner since my college days (40+ years), so we bonded running together during those years that he ran. We had a great time running races together, 5 and 10Ks. He's 30 now and had decided he has had enough running! But I'm still at it at the ripe old age of 60!

I used to run a lot more than I do now, but discovered that all my running was compromising my muscle gain. Now I run two days a week, about 4 to 5 miles at a time. I personal train two days a week and one of those days is leg day, so I make sure I do NOT run on leg day. My trainer said I would effectively eliminate any gains in my lower body strength training by running the same day. Leg training for me includes, Leg press, sumo squats, hip thrusters, leg curls, leg extensions, Bulgarian split lunges, walking squats, walking lunges, just to name a few. All of these are done with very heavy weights.

I have also found that less running and more strength training has made me faster and able to run longer distances easier. You wouldn't think that would be the case, but it has proved true for me.

My typical week involves a lot of stuff, but I'll list it here for the sake of letting you know what works best for me....

Monday: boot camp AM, upper body strength training PM
Tuesday: boot camp AM and PM
Wednesday: Boot camp AM, upper body strength AM and a 5 mile run PM
Thursday: Boot camp AM, lower body strength training PM
Friday: Boot camp AM
Saturday: Boot camp AM, upper body strength PM
Sunday: 5 mile run.
Old 05-26-17, 06:47 AM  
Runninggirl

Alison - how fun! I have two kids and zero runners so I am a little jealous! I completely agree with Vannie about C25k - http://www.c25kfree.com/. I run a few days a week with a group where we consistently have new walkers/runners and the app is a great way to get started with a smart plan so no one is injured trying to do too much too fast. I think deciding how to incorporate workouts with running is very personal to the individual and among my running friends everyone has something different that works for them. As a new runner, I would probably separate running days and strength days, take down the level of strength work so you don't feel exhausted, and definitely give your legs a rest day or two. Please feel free to PM me if you want to chat further.
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 06:59 AM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
No advice Alison but can your daughter really be 11 already?!?
My thought too!!!

So when I was running consistently, I would alternate run days with heavy strength days. I didn't train for high mileage, the most I did was a 10K twice. Otherwise, it was 5K all the way for me.

I always took at least one day off a week. I lifted Mon/Wed/Fri, doing a split routine of heavy weights, then ran Tues/Thurs/Sat. I usually did legs on Wednesday, so I knew Thursday wouldn't be a good run, but i did it anyhow. I just accepted it wouldn't be good!

Have fun!
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 10:39 AM  
alisoncooks

Thanks for the replies!
My daughter will be 11 in two weeks -- I can't believe it myself. (Except for all the emotions and hormones, LOL...then I can believe it!)

I like the idea of following a C25k program. I used one several years ago and it went well, but I can't figure out how to make it work with two of us. (We don't run with a phone -- when I did it years ago, I had the podcasts on my iPod.)

I think, for the time being, I will focus on upper body and core strength workouts on the days I don't walk/run with her. Then I don't have to worry about overworking my lower body.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 12:12 PM  
meg39

Alison,

I think it's so nice your daughter wants to run with you! It can be a great bonding time for the 2 of you.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 02:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
just wanted to mention how much I love the Couch to 5k app by Zen Labs. It tells you when to walk and when to run. My brother and I both use it all the time (well, we're using their 10k trainer app but the first 8 weeks are the same as the C25k). It's free so no loss if you don't like it.
thanks for this tip - just downloaded it to my galaxy phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I can't figure out how to make it work with two of us.
I would think you could use it similarly to your podcast - just put the phone in some sort of pouch or carrier. I own a simple fanny pack that I hold my phone, mp3 player, etc. I'm planning to use the C25K app to prompt me, while playing my own music on my mp3 player, similar to a GymBoss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
All of these are done with very heavy weights.

I have also found that less running and more strength training has made me faster and able to run longer distances easier. You wouldn't think that would be the case, but it has proved true for me.

My typical week involves a lot of stuff, but I'll list it here for the sake of letting you know what works best for me....

Monday: boot camp AM, upper body strength training PM
Tuesday: boot camp AM and PM
Wednesday: Boot camp AM, upper body strength AM and a 5 mile run PM
Thursday: Boot camp AM, lower body strength training PM
Friday: Boot camp AM
Saturday: Boot camp AM, upper body strength PM
Sunday: 5 mile run.
thanks for sharing these awesome tips JM.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 03:35 PM  
Vantreesta

Hope you like it, Jeannine! I actually have my running playlist on my phone and play it through the trainer app. Unless I'm on a Zombies Run! mission and then my music runs through it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
runners