Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-17, 02:04 PM  
wendug

Does anyone else experience this?

Yesterday I did KCM's raw upper body workout (which I thought was excellent, BTW). But during the chest presses and flies, I experience pain in my hands while holding the weights. Not really a pain, but more like the muscle between my thumbs and index fingers gets cramped. I experience this with other weight workouts where I do an extended set of bench presses or flies, like with Jari Love. I thought maybe I was gripping the weights too hard, so I made sure to relax the grip with my thumb, but yet I still have trouble with that muscle cramping. It is so weird- I have no idea what I'm doing to cause this! The cramping only lasts through the set, it doesn't last for an extended period. Does anyone else experience this? It is so annoying!
Old 05-25-17, 02:19 PM  
BunnyHop

I've noticed that if the circumference of the bar on the weight I'm holding is too small, it makes my hands more uncomfortable. I bought new dumbbells (making sure to check the handles first) just to find something I could grip comfortably. The problem I experienced isn't about the surface/texture of the bar, just the diameter.

Not sure if that's the sort of thing you have in mind?
Old 05-26-17, 05:06 AM  
JessicaW

I experience this. It almost feels like an arthritic reaction and it only occurs if I am using weights that are pure metal with no coating like rubber or whatever. What sort of weights are you using?
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 06:59 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I've noticed that if the circumference of the bar on the weight I'm holding is too small, it makes my hands more uncomfortable. I bought new dumbbells (making sure to check the handles first) just to find something I could grip comfortably. The problem I experienced isn't about the surface/texture of the bar, just the diameter.

Not sure if that's the sort of thing you have in mind?
I hadn't thought of dumbbell circumference. I'll have to try different dumbbells to see if that helps!
Old 05-26-17, 07:03 AM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaW View Post
I experience this. It almost feels like an arthritic reaction and it only occurs if I am using weights that are pure metal with no coating like rubber or whatever. What sort of weights are you using?
I do use coated dumbbells, so that isn't the issue with me. I'm sorry you experienced a reaction with metal dumbbells. I do have a sensitivity to metals, so bought coated dumbbells from the get-go. The metal sensitivity issue sucks...I don't even have my ears pierced (although I've tried many MANY times! Even the "hypoallergenic" earrings didn't work. And if I wear a cheap necklace...I break out in a rash!)

Tags
hand muscle cramping