Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-15-22, 03:14 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
Started reading the doorstopper Shogun by James Clavell this weekend. Apart from the appalling violence and racism, it's quite a page-turner!
I read that book back in the day. I'll be curious to hear how it holds up now as you move further into it.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 06:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I just listened to The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz and enjoyed it. Kind of hard trying to get into another book at this point but I have The Secret History queued up. Still reading War & Peace -- got past the 50% mark in kindle finally.
Old 08-18-22, 07:13 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Still reading War & Peace -- got past the 50% mark in kindle finally.
You're over the hump! Are you enjoying it?

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 08:02 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished Stephen King's Billy Summers. I love King's writing but was disappointed in this. I felt like there were about 4 different plots going on, and I wasn't all that interested in any of them. It reminded me of 11/22/63, which I know some people really liked but which I also felt was over-wrought.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 09:45 PM  
SpiritYogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just finished Stephen King's Billy Summers. I love King's writing but was disappointed in this. I felt like there were about 4 different plots going on, and I wasn't all that interested in any of them. It reminded me of 11/22/63, which I know some people really liked but which I also felt was over-wrought.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I had it on my list but will take it off and choose another book I may enjoy more.

The books I've read recently are: False Witness by Karin Slaughter, The Girl Who Survived by Lisa Jackson, Rules for Vanishing by Kate Alice Mashall, Confess by Colleen Hoover, and Mercy Snow by Tiffany Baker.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-22, 10:11 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
You're over the hump! Are you enjoying it?
Yes, actually! Well, I'm enjoying the "peace" -- the "war" parts are a little slow and boring. Have you read it?
Old 08-18-22, 10:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Boy, I remember reading Billy Summers and enjoying it, but I cannot remember the plot at all at this point. I just looked up a summary to help me remember, and I only vaguely remember it. On the other hand, I remember 11/22/63 very well and I loved that one, so clearly you and I like different Stephen King's.
Old 08-19-22, 07:29 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dena View Post
Thanks for sharing your opinion. I had it on my list but will take it off and choose another book I may enjoy more.
See Bee's comment below - everyone is different! Of King's recent books, I really liked The Institute as well as the Mr Mercedes trilogy.

Quote:
Boy, I remember reading Billy Summers and enjoying it, but I cannot remember the plot at all at this point. I just looked up a summary to help me remember, and I only vaguely remember it. On the other hand, I remember 11/22/63 very well and I loved that one, so clearly you and I like different Stephen King's.
Yes, clearly YMMV! I didn't dislike 11/22/63, but I thought the passages about the main character researching and observing Oswald were long and boring, and I just didn't enjoy it as much overall as others seem to.

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I've been reading a non-fiction book I'm enjoying, Confessions of a Comma Queen (attention grammar nerds!). I decided to finish it before starting another novel.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 08:46 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
I just listened to The Plot by Jean Hanff Korelitz and enjoyed it. Kind of hard trying to get into another book at this point but I have The Secret History queued up. Still reading War & Peace -- got past the 50% mark in kindle finally.
The Secret History by Donna Tartt? Oh I loved that book so much, one of my favorites. It's slow moving and full of beautiful descriptions and characterizations. I love books like that.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-22, 09:31 AM  
Schnauzeritis

The Last House on the Street - Diane Chamberlain - good dual timeline story.

Horse - Geraldine Brooks - I thought this book was awesome. I did a lot of googling while reading this book. This one will stick with me.

Find Me - Alafair Burke - Quick cool mystery. I liked it. Most of the story takes place on Long Island so that was fun to read about a place where you live.

One of the Girls - Lucy Clarke - currently reading and so far so good.
Schnauzeritis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, summer reading