Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-06-11, 07:52 PM  
MrCrispy

Question about suspension trainers

There are many of these products (TRX, Rip60, Jugle Gym) etc, and I've noticed that while they all claim you just need a door, in their videos you see a large open space and its mounted on the ceiling for maximum range of motion. I just don't see how you can do those exercises with a door, there isn't enough horizontal or vertical clearance.

I live in a apt with not much free space around doors, so the only option would be to make a ceiling mount, right? I don't have drill/ladder etc so not sure how well this would work out.
MrCrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:16 PM  
mghorton

Good question. I've wondered that myself.

My sister actually got me a TRX for Christmas, and I am ashamed to admit I haven't set it up yet. I would love to hear the answer to this question, as ideally, I'd like to use it in a hotel room while traveling.

For some reason I find it much more intimidating than weights or machines. Part of that is fear of setting it up incorrectly and having it collapse.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.
mghorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:40 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrispy View Post
There are many of these products (TRX, Rip60, Jugle Gym) etc, and I've noticed that while they all claim you just need a door, in their videos you see a large open space and its mounted on the ceiling for maximum range of motion. I just don't see how you can do those exercises with a door, there isn't enough horizontal or vertical clearance.

I live in a apt with not much free space around doors, so the only option would be to make a ceiling mount, right? I don't have drill/ladder etc so not sure how well this would work out.
I use my TRX to travel with me. The door is sufficient when travel, but at home I use the beams in the basement.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-11, 08:44 PM  
horusosiris

At home, I use my TRX with a ceiling mount. Before I mounted it on the ceiling, I used a door without any problems.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 05:55 AM  
Kyra

I've used it on a door, but I prefer to use it from an overhead mount. You do get a lot more freedom of movement that way. I would wonder about mounting it overhead in an apartment; you'd have to find the beams and also be relatively unafraid of damaging any ceiling materials during the mounting process. Is there a park or a playground nearby where you might take it?

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 06:54 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

A good mount is the key to successful use of these trainers. I used my front door (which is the heaviest door in my house) and ended up having to replace the hinges and the tongue mechanism that goes into the wall. I used the thing every day and the it was too much for the door to support. Be really careful about using a door unless you have really heavy doors with big hinges and door mechanisms in good condition.
Old 07-07-11, 07:18 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyra View Post
I've used it on a door, but I prefer to use it from an overhead mount. You do get a lot more freedom of movement that way.
I agree that the ceiling mount is so much better! I actually enjoyed my TRX more with the ceiling mount.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jungle gym, rip:60, suspension trainer, trx, trx suspension trainer