Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-06, 01:45 PM  
sugarhound

Burning calories and the weather

Does one burn more calories on a hot day vs a cold day or when the air conditioner is off vs. on?
Thanks.
sugarhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 02:48 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

If your heart rate goes higher, you burn more calories. So, if it's a hot day and you're working harder as a result, yes, you'll burn more calories. You also need to rehydrate more and more often, and watch for signs of overdoing it. No need to get to the nauseated stage...

Amy

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 02:49 PM  
sugarhound

Thank you

Bring on summer!
Old 03-16-06, 02:54 PM  
doskymom

I'm going to disagree - I think you burn more calories working out in cold weather because your body is going to have to work harder to stay warm than it would in warm weather.
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 04:01 PM  
sugarhound

ah, no. I hate the cold!
Old 03-16-06, 04:36 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

Have seen some research on this very question.

Yes, all other things being equal you burn a few more calories in really cold weather than in "normal" or "hot" weather. But the key word is "few" - it's not a huge difference.

I'm sure the difference is more dramatic in truly extreme temps.
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 05:11 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Well that's a bummer. Guess I'll never be able to take advantage of that here in the desert!

What about those "hot" yoga classes that everyone claims burn more calories? I must say, the temps they keep the rooms at during those are *almost* as hot as it is here during the summer, and I KNOW I don't want to do ANYTHING outside here then.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 05:25 PM  
doskymom

I think like Lucy said, the calorie burn solely from the temperature difference is not going to be that much - the majority of the calorie burn will come from the workout itself. And not that I'm saying the hot yoga classes don't burn a lot of calories, but I think the actual workout is more responsible for that that than the temperate - you can sweat a lot and lose water weight without having actually burned calories. Remember the sauna wrap things, they used to have where they would sweat you skinny and then once you were hydrated again, it all came back? I can sit out in the sun here in the summer when the temp is over 110 degrees and I'll start sweating, but if I'm just lying on the lawn chair, I'm not really burning too many calories...
doskymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-06, 10:56 PM  
Lucysql
VF Supporter

I definitely agree w/ dosky - if you saw immediate weight loss in a hot environment it would be due to water lost through sweating, not extra calories burned due to the heat.

Otherwise everyone here in the Southwest would be thin as rails which is definitely not the case
Lucysql is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-06, 12:48 PM  
amyzan
VF Supporter

This thread made me curious enough to do a few google searches. Apparently, there is evidence both ways, and no set conclusions. Some studies show that the body has to expend more energy maintaining warmth in cold weather, evidenced by shivering. Some say that the heart works harder to cool us off in hot temperatures. Apparently, both extremes make for more "work" for the body, hence more calorie expenditure.

Studies apparently also show that humans (and other animals) are generally more active in the warm months. They find that weight loss comes more easily during warm weather because of this increase in activity.

from Stream of Life, Rabindranath Tragore
amyzan is offline   Reply With Quote