Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-16-11, 07:10 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizach View Post
If you don't like to count and rather follow-along, RKS is not for you. There are discs where you count, there are other discs where you are timed to do something.
I am doing RKS but I rarely ever count reps or rounds completed and still enjoy it.
horusosiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:06 AM  
caligurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
$140.00 (10% off now) is a lot of money.
the set is 119.97 and then you get 10% off that with either their posted discount or the VF discount.... (so you pay 107.97) it doesn't appear the the 119.97 is a discounted price but the real price, as that is what is used in their infomercial.

just wanted to clarify the price so no one was confused if only reading this thread.
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:09 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by horusosiris View Post
I am doing RKS but I rarely ever count reps or rounds completed and still enjoy it.
You just match the speed of one of the exercisers or the lead?
I don't count rounds either, but I count reps.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 08:19 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
You just match the speed of one of the exercisers or the lead?
I don't count rounds either, but I count reps.
I just challenge myself. I have a pretty good and rather accurate internal indicator about how hard or fast I am working. Most of the time I am just with the lead or ahead of him. The only time that I am super careful about counting reps, time etc. is when I am training for a competition.
Old 07-16-11, 08:50 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I have not caved yet, but am considering it. Debbie - I was wondering if you purchased it. Since Mizach and you were part of that check-in many years ago, I am listening carefully to both of yours opinion before I decide.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 09:05 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
I just challenge myself. I have a pretty good and rather accurate internal indicator about how hard or fast I am working. Most of the time I am just with the lead or ahead of him. The only time that I am super careful about counting reps, time etc. is when I am training for a competition.
As I was taking a shower, I thought about how to get away with counting since I don't really want to do that on my own. One solution is your way.
The other one is to use doubles! So for example in RKS #8, in order for me not to drive myself bonkers with counting 15 rows L, then 15 rows R, I'll just use doubles. The only caveat is if I use doubles for rows, I might tweak my wonky lower back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmDancer View Post
I have not caved yet, but am considering it. Debbie - I was wondering if you purchased it. Since Mizach and you were part of that check-in many years ago, I am listening carefully to both of yours opinion before I decide.
Thanks FirmDancer. Wait til Debbie uses all the DVDs. I finished my 2nd week yesterday.You are Crossfit certified, right? I think you'll like the challenge dvds in RKS.
Old 07-16-11, 09:26 AM  
horusosiris

Quote:
As I was taking a shower, I thought about how to get away with counting since I don't really want to do that on my own. One solution is your way.
The other one is to use doubles! So for example in RKS #8, in order for me not to drive myself bonkers with counting 15 rows L, then 15 rows R, I'll just use doubles. The only caveat is if I use doubles for rows, I might tweak my wonky lower back.
I do not count the reps for the RKS workouts in which you do as many of the exercises that you can in the time allotted. For the RKS workouts that they specify the number of reps to do, as in RKS #8- 20 jump squats, 50 swings 10 pushups, etc., then I do count the reps.
Old 07-16-11, 09:42 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
I do not count the reps for the RKS workouts in which you do as many of the exercises that you can in the time allotted. For the RKS workouts that they specify the number of reps to do, as in RKS #8- 20 jump squats, 50 swings 10 pushups, etc., then I do count the reps.
O ok, that's what I do too.
Old 07-16-11, 10:54 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl View Post
the set is 119.97 and then you get 10% off that with either their posted discount or the VF discount.... (so you pay 107.97) it doesn't appear the the 119.97 is a discounted price but the real price, as that is what is used in their infomercial.

just wanted to clarify the price so no one was confused if only reading this thread.
Thank you, Cali.

It's still pretty expensive for a very basic set. But then again, if you use the workouts all the time, then it will be worth every penny you paid for it.

Anita, I did not pay for this set. It was a gift. I'll definitely let you know my overall impression of this set. For now, I understand Messe's comments about this set.

Pam, AOS DVDs are outstanding. Since they were the first kettlebell DVDs that I purchased, I use these workouts as a gage.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 11:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

For some reason, and despite the mega thread, the RKS set doesn't interest me. I went with Skogg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
As far as instruction goes, the Skogg instructional DVD is by far the better of the two. The Skogg instructional DVD is fantastic.
I'm curious, why did you decide to do the RKS set before the Skogg set? I'll be very interested in your comparisons if you ever do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaburke66 View Post
I'm also wishing Skogg had not included snatches in his first series, but that's partly because I'm pretty leery of them right now.
The snatches in the Skogg System give the set a serious dread factor for me. I wish he had put something less technically challenging in his introductory set.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg system