Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-18, 08:39 PM  
Sara1000

I can't imagine a tactful way to tell someone anything about their posture. My mom used to tell me to sit up straight etc. Perhaps the best way to communicate that to another adult is simply to set a good example. When I see someone walking with a beautiful posture it reminds me to straighten up.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 11:06 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I often have people ask me if I have a military background. I don't, but I've learned over the years that they ask me that because my posture is erect, with my shoulders back.

I adopted that as a way to look TALLER and not so squatty at 5'3" (now shorter with age, but I'm not posting that statistic)

My husband and I check each other on posture all the time too. He has a bad slumping/neck forward habit at the computer. Today I was reading my kindle and eating a seedy bagel at the same time. I was leaning over the saucer to keep the crumbs on the plate and he alerted me with "you're turtling!" Always good to have a spotter.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 06:56 AM  
dnna

Unsolicited advise is rarely or ever a good thing. It seems more like criticism when you are receiving someone's kind reminders or suggestions.

When I see someone with bad posture I immediately self correct. I put one arm behind me and do a little pull to the side or just move my arm over to the other side. This is a good self correction.

I am trying to build up my back. My family has a very bad history of spine problems and when my brother was doing nautilus with a trainer he looked great! and his back problems are severe.

I have thought of getting a back brace or something when on the computer?

stand tall and proud ( I am 5 feet!)
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-18, 07:18 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Of course! When I said "most people," young people are included.
Indeed! If "most people" are "in need of posture correction," then a fitting title could appeal to "more people" than just those who are concerned about things like "mom posture" or "looking old."
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 01:32 PM  
warriorprincess

Lots of great exercises here. I love that she cites T-Nation as a reference. I have a weird affection for that site, as I am obviously not its intended audience. I try to do scapular push-ups regularly based on an article I read there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 01:39 PM  
warriorprincess

I predict the hunched over, head forward posture issues are going to be the bane of the mobile phone generation. I can hardly imagine what a lifetime of exaggerated slumping will do to a body. I suspect new industries will develop around it in a few decades.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-18, 03:57 PM  
rhbrand

I often wonder if our modern life contributes to mom posture.

My recliner, the way its built, it rolls my shoulders forward slightly. Same with my car seat. And the seats at the movie theater. And I bet other seats are built the same way.
Old 06-27-18, 10:19 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
I often wonder if our modern life contributes to mom posture.

My recliner, the way its built, it rolls my shoulders forward slightly. Same with my car seat. And the seats at the movie theater. And I bet other seats are built the same way.
That is why car rides and planes to me are excruciating. I’m short and they push my head forward and always have been uncomfortable.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 11:49 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I have some McKenzie Rolls on my office chair and on my recliner. They support the lumbar and keep the chest open:

https://www.optp.com/The-Original-McKenzie-Lumbar-Roll

They take while to get used to. You can get softer ones or half rolls. There is an inflatable one for travel.

My current car has lumbar support, but I used a roll in my old one.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-18, 01:22 PM  
buffmama

I use a cylindrical pillow along my spine in the car to get myself in a comfortable position. It was based on something I was pointed to here (but don't remember the reference).

Tags
posture