Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-18, 06:33 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I like the wall slides. I find I am not always able to press my forearms into the wall and then contract shoulder blades.
Thanks for the link.
Old 06-22-18, 07:12 AM  
Swissmom

Thank you so much for sharing! I have several friends that can benefit from this as they have to sit at a desk all day and it takes a toll on their posture.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 07:28 AM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Although the article calls it "Mom Posture", it sounds like "Women Getting Older Posture" to me. In fact I'd been thinking of starting a thread asking for suggestions on how to tell one's friends that their posture is making them look old. I'm having a hard time thinking of a tactful way to do this.
Yeah, I thought that title was a bit off, too. I'm not a mom--unless you count being a cat mom (and I'm sure everyone on this forum does count that!) but I was in need of posture correction. Most people, moms or not, do!

Donna
Old 06-22-18, 09:21 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I'm something of a posture nut. I try to be aware of it all the time. I bug my DH about it. We'll say to one another if there is slumping going on, "Posture Check!"

Oprah did a show many years ago where she taped the audience waiting to get into her show. Most everyone (of all ages) were slumping, leaning or listing. The guest was a posture expert and worked with a few of the audience and then compared it to the earlier footage. The women looked much younger and healthier standing up straight!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 10:10 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Yeah, I thought that title was a bit off, too. I'm not a mom--unless you count being a cat mom (and I'm sure everyone on this forum does count that!) but I was in need of posture correction. Most people, moms or not, do!
Even young people? I'm not even very fond of the negative mentions of oldness and am reminded of why I started the thread "Let's talk about 'old talk'" recently. I haven't finished a response that I intend to post there, but I agree thoroughly with this entire post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My grievance is that 'old' is always presumed to be a negative thing. Why is this? Other cultures/times past have revered older people for their wisdom and experience. Youth was synonymous with, among other things, impetuousness and folly. Of course, youth has also had positive associations, but the reverence for youth today is crazy. Pursuing youth is chasing the wind. We're all aging, every second of the day. It's inevitable. I'm opting out of the 'trying to look younger' thing.
In the original post in the "old talk" thread, some quotations also mention the related "fat talk." Rereading them reminds me of the reference to looking "five pounds lighter" on the page mentioned in this thread. That reference doesn't prejudice me for or against the exercise recommendations , but I definitely noticed it.

(When I think about the subject of looks even more generally, I'm reminded of reading that some taller girls and women unintentionally developed bad posture by intentionally slouching in an attempt to look shorter, smaller, and more "normal." )
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit

Last edited by hch; 06-22-18 at 10:23 AM. Reason: rearranged wording
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-18, 10:16 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Thank you!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-18, 09:14 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I'm something of a posture nut. I try to be aware of it all the time. I bug my DH about it. We'll say to one another if there is slumping going on, "Posture Check!"
When I was little, I was skinny and looked like a baby bird without feathers in my bathing suit, my shoulder blades sticking out. Dad would command, "Wings in!"
Old 06-24-18, 10:42 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
When I was little, I was skinny and looked like a baby bird without feathers in my bathing suit, my shoulder blades sticking out. Dad would command, "Wings in!"

"Wings in!"
I love that!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-18, 01:35 PM  
Sollamyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hch View Post
Even young people? (snip)
Of course! When I said "most people," young people are included.

That reminds me: I remember going for a routine doctor appointment once, several years ago, and my doctor complimented me on my posture. He said most of his younger patients slouch so badly (and this was before smart phones) and he asked me what my secret was. I was doing Pilates at the time, so that's what I told him. I'm not doing Pilates anymore, but I try to keep up my p.t. exercises from when I had the sore shoulder problem. That has helped me tremendously!

Donna
Old 06-24-18, 03:43 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boop View Post
Although the article calls it "Mom Posture", it sounds like "Women Getting Older Posture" to me. In fact I'd been thinking of starting a thread asking for suggestions on how to tell one's friends that their posture is making them look old. I'm having a hard time thinking of a tactful way to do this.
Well, not too tactful. But today at church this one friend came in. I took a deep breath, gave her a hug and mentioned, in a friendly manner, about her posture. She smiled, immediately straightened up for about ten seconds, and then slumped over again. I don't think i'm going to mention this again.

Tags
posture