Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-18, 09:12 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Thanks Loriann! Yes, I was ambitious when I started this program along with race training, lol. Cardio Flow is the only workout in the program that I can see forming a dread factor for me. I might like the Peak Week version better, I think it's all the inchworms & spider pushups that added up to a lot of shoulder/elbow/wrist pressure for me. But I bet you really build up endurance to do them by the end! YAY! GREAT JOB on finishing 80DO!!! I hear you about doing rotations, it's really hard when there are so many options! I miss Cathe Live terribly but I know there will be a nice little bunch of "new to me" ones to try at the end (like you). Enjoy your accomplishment!

Day 18: AAA - Time: 55 Minutes

Exercises are the same as day 4. Each exercise is done for 10 reps and there are three rounds.

Equipment: Weights (light, medium, heavy), Resistance Loops (yellow, green, blue), Sliders, Mat (optional).

The workout is done in a 1 count concentric (contraction) – 1-2-3 count eccentric (negative) for all the moves.

I really liked doing the exercises in groups of four for (10) reps - repeat (3) times. It gave me enough time to go heavier and really concentrate on the eccentric part of the move. Plus even though it was 55 minutes long, the time went by quickly because the workout moved along at a nice pace. I was able to do all the slider ab moves but I still have to modify some of the pushups to my knees. Something for me to work on!

Oh, I don't think I mentioned that there isn't any music in the program. Autumn did some playlists on Spotify that you can use but I prefer to use Amazon Prime Music instead. I just take my iPad down with me and play one of the playlists they have on there. Music is kind of a background thing for me but I know it's very important to some people!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 10:53 AM  
savvychica4

Congrats Loriann on finishing the series!!! It is definitely a huge accomplishment. Like you, it's one of the only series rotations I've actually completed (outside of STS)!

And I definitely agree with everyone's assessment about Cardio Flow--it's definitely the workout that everyone loves to hate. LOL! I stuck with it though because all that bodyweight work in it is a really good compliment to the weight training.

I'm still going strong with my self-made 4-week rotation of 80 Day leading up to my vacation next month. I'm really loving revisiting the third week of Phase 1. When I first started contemplating whether I would go right into doing another full rotation of the program or make up my own month-long schedule, one of my friends asked me if I would start back at Phase 1 or jump into Phase 2 since Phase 1 is the "easier" of the three Phases. Well, I am so glad I decided to include Phase 1's workouts because if you are really challenging yourself with your weight and band selections these workouts are anything but easy! I have had a "good" soreness going on after every workout this week so workouts are still challenging my body.

I haven't decided what I am going to do post vacation. I may start a full second rotation of 80 Day (starting from Day 1) or I may take a break to revisit Cathe and some of my other favorite workouts. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel.
savvychica4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-18, 08:48 PM  
Loriann

Thank you Kathy and savvychica!

It was a tough workout today so part of me was thinking “make this stop” another part was saying “ oh, but this is the last one”!

Savvychica, I like your idea to revisit a week from each phase and peak week. I may do that in a month. The phase one workouts were sneaky. At the time I was doing them, I was thinking “ this isn’t so bad” and then the next day I couldn’t get out of my chair at work .

It will be interesting to come back and revisit them all again.

Lori
Old 04-30-18, 02:45 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

savvychica4, I'm so glad I'm not alone in my love to hate of Cardio Flow, lol! That's awesome that you're moving into Phase 2, Week 3 this week! You're absolutely right, using a heavy enough weight to challenge yourself is the key to progress with this program. I hope you enjoy your vacation! You can always decide when you get back and feel relaxed.

Loriann, Yay! You did it! I also really like savvychica's idea of doing a week from each phase and peak week. It would give you a change up week to week. It reminds me of an "undulating" rotation I saw for STS somewhere.

Day 19: Legs - Time: 51 Minutes
Equipment: Weights (heavy, medium, and light)
Same exercises as Day 5.

Each exercise is done for 10 reps and there are three rounds. There are nine total exercises that are grouped in 3’s. You do all three rounds for that grouping of 3 before moving on to the next. My heartrate stayed elevated the entire workout because Autumn just took “mini” breaks between exercises to give your grip a rest and take a sip of water/wipe down. I was able to use my heavier weights (for me) for the entire workout which felt good but my grip was toast by the end!

I didn’t have time to do the Cardio Flow workout this weekend. I had a family outing and stuff going on. Ugh, so that means I am now two workouts behind (both Cardio Flow’s, gah!)

Day 21: Total Body Core - Time: 57 Minutes
Equipment: Weights (heavy, medium, and light), loops, mat
Same exercises as Day 2.

Each exercise is done for 15 or 16 reps and there are two rounds.
The setup of Phase 1 – Week 4 is similar to week 3 but you only do two rounds of 15 or 16 reps of each grouping. I did most of the exercises with last weeks’ weights from the 10 x 3 format which means I upped my weights from the first week which was a 15 x 2, yay!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 05-03-18, 08:17 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I got a little turned around on the rotation this week! I woke up late on Tuesday so thought I'd do the shorter cardio workout and then do the longer Booty workout on Wednesday. But again I got up late on Wednesday, ugh, so I just ran/walked 2.5 miles on my treadmill instead. This morning I decided to get the heavy leg day out of the way so my legs can recover by Sunday for the race. Soooo....I'm a little out of order and will just give it my best shot to fit all of the 5 workouts in (minus the Cardio Flow again). I'm just not having any luck fitting that one in! Or it could be I'm really not making it a priority to fit it in, lol.

Day 23: Cardio Core - Time: 35 Minutes

Equipment: Sliders

This was basically the same workout as the other four weeks. The only difference was that Autumn had all the backgrounders face/off with each other or get in a big circle to have more fun. The side core exercises are still hard for me! I hope by the end of this program that my strength in my obliques improves and I can do the unmodified version.

Day 25: Legs - Time: 48 Minutes

Equipment: Weights (heavy, medium, and light)
Same exercises as Day 5.

Each exercise is done for 15 reps and there are two rounds.

I was able to match the weights I used for the 3x10 weeks on the first round and dropped down a little on a couple the exercises during the second round because Autumn wasn't taking long breaks today and the pace was faster. I also modified the Buddha squats on the second round because I could feel my iTband rubbing on my left knee and I'm just asking for trouble when that starts happening! Oh, I also forgot to add that she did a "bonus" round of one minute squat hold with a 12 lb. weight). My legs were quivering like jello, lol!

So my plan is to do "Booty" tomorrow and "AAA" on Saturday. I don't usually workout the day before a race but because it's a 10 miler I should be fine.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 05-03-18, 01:27 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

To Kathy, Loriann and anyone else who is doing this series...I have a question.

I'm just about done with a 3 month Cathe STS rotation. I really want to keep my strength gains so I'm wondering if 80DO would be a good program to move into? I know there is some band work (I have lots of good bands) and weight work. Can you still lift fairly heavy? I see light, medium, heavy weights..I suppose that's just an individual thing - what is heavy for you?

Just contemplating what kind of workouts I want to do next. Thanks!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-18, 02:27 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post

I'm just about done with a 3 month Cathe STS rotation. I really want to keep my strength gains so I'm wondering if 80DO would be a good program to move into? I know there is some band work (I have lots of good bands) and weight work. Can you still lift fairly heavy? I see light, medium, heavy weights..I suppose that's just an individual thing - what is heavy for you?

Hi Kate! Yes, it is all relative to what each individual can lift for each exercise. For example I'm using two 25 lb. dumbbells for squats and back lunges but I can't use that much weight for a move where she has you lunge forward at an angle and keep your back leg straight (which you really feel in your glutes, btw!) For that move I use my 18 lb. dumbbells or otherwise I feel it in my lower back which I did today so I dropped down a bit. So I would say you can lift as heavy for YOU as possible while keeping good form.

As for the bands, they are much more challenging than I ever thought they would be if you choose the right one!

Here's what I used for Legs today for two sets of 15 reps. Keep in mind you are probably A LOT stronger than I am so it's all relative to what you consider challenging for yourself. Hope this helps.

ETA: You will probably be starting at a higher weight than Autumn on Phase 1 for sure but she talks about everyone being at a different level and not to compare yourself to anyone else. I've previewed a couple of the Phase 2 and Phase 3 workouts and it looks like they increase weights in each week and or phase. So it looks like you are always increasing. I hope Lori or savvychica4 can give you more of an idea of how much of an increase they saw from Phase 1 to Phase 3 and Peak Week.

Series 1:
Reverse Lunges - two 25 lbs. dumbbells (round 1) dropped to 20 lbs. for second round
Squats - two 25 lb. dumbbells
Curtsy Lunges - two 20 lb. dumbbells

Series 2:
Sumo Squats - one 40 lb. dumbbell (that's the heaviest I have now!)
Front Diagonal Lunges - two 18 lb. dumbbells (round 1) dropped to 15 lb. for second round
Twisting Back Angle Lunge - one 20 lb. dumbbell

Series 3:
Single-Leg Good Morning (no weights)
Hip Hinge (deadlift – knees bent/stop at mid shin) - two 25 lb. dumbbells
Buddha Squats (similar to her Surrender move in 21 Day Fix) - one 20 lb. dumbbell
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 05-04-18, 08:17 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Day 22: Booty - Time: 53 Minutes
Same exercises as Day 2.

Each exercise is done for 15 or 16 reps and there are two rounds.

Equipment: Resistance Loops (yellow, green, blue), Mat (optional).

This workout was similar in format to last week. You did groups of three exercises on each leg for 15 reps each then switched sides for a total of two rounds. The floor work was brutal, lol! My glutes were screaming! Donald one of the background exercisers was making all kinds of funny noises which sent Autumn into a giggling fit, lol. I didn't mind, the distraction from the burn was good!

I'm actually glad this was the last Booty workout for Phase 1. I'm ready to move on, lol.

I'll do "AAA" tomorrow then I have my 10 mile race on Sunday. I'll start Phase 2 on Monday and I'll weigh and take measurements. I'm going to be missing three Cardio Flows from Phase 1. I'll have to decide whether I'm going to make them up or just move on.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Old 05-06-18, 08:05 AM  
savvychica4

Hi ladies-
I am still working through my "3rd week of each phase + peak week" rotation of 80 day. It's been a lot of fun doing a rotation this way because each day has truly been a different workout with different exercises (except for good ol Cardio Flow of course..haha).

I will be out of town for work for several days this week. I had a couple of business trips pop up during my original rotation of 80 day, but was able to work around them without missing any workouts by moving my rest day and one of the cardio days (which require little to no equip and are thus easy to do in a hotel room) so that they fell over the time I was out of town. This week's trip has a jam packed agenda so I'm not sure this strategy will work this time. So I am thinking I will need to take two rest days this week while I am out of town. To make up for this, I did two workouts yesterday. I finished out Phase 2 Week 3 yesterday with Cardio Flow and then started Phase 3 week 3 with AAA. I wasn't sure if doing AAA was the best choice because I had just completed Phase 2 AAA the day before, but I was feeling particularly good yesterday so I listened to my body and went for it. I am not a fan of over training so had my body felt differently yesterday I would have chosen a diff workout to do after Cardio Flow.

Hope everyone has a great week!
Old 05-06-18, 08:24 AM  
savvychica4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post

KateTT- Body Beast is a great follow-up to STS IMHO. Sagi can be chatty (hmmm, what's with BB and chatty instructors, haha) and his jokes a little corny, but the workouts are very good and he will grow on you after a bit. I especially love his tempo workouts as they remind me of Cathe's slow and heavy. I was never crazy about his cardio workout so I often replaced that workout with another cardio workout of choice.

80 day would also be good, but as others have mentioned you will probably be lifting heavier than Autumn at the beginning of phase 1. She starts off fairly light the first couple of weeks. This is probably one of the reasons some folks did not find 80 day very challenging and ended up quitting very early on. The program does progress though so you've got to hang in there and give it a chance (I just did week 3 phase 2 last week and by this phase Autumn is using a 35 to do curtsy lunges and is doing either goblet squats or sumo squats with a 55 so she definitely ups her weights as the program progresses). There are some moves in this program where I've loaded up my barbell because I wanted to go a bit heavier than I could with my dumbbells. So there is room to modify things to meet your needs. I also love how she incorporates the bands into exercises with weights. The extra resistance from the bands is a nice addition to the weight work.

And because I love Cathe, I can't help but throw in a couple of her other series--I think RwH and XTrain would be great follow-ups to STS as well!

Tags
80 day obsession, bbod 80 day obsession, bod, clam, eccentric weight training, joel freeman, liift4, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal