Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-10, 07:10 AM  
pumptmuscle

Do you think the home workouts we do help or hurt to enable our loved ones to do them

This may sound like an odd question at first but bear with me on it.

I think a lot of people, men more than women, are averse to doing follow-along workouts because of how they perceive them. If you ask many (most?) people what a typical home workout dvd is like, they'll think of something like the old Jane Fonda tapes. They picture women in leotards jumping around and flailing their arms all over. They probably envision the workouts being cheesy and embarrassing to do. We of course know that's not true but I still believe the misconception is out there.

P90x was probably the most popular workout system purchased and used by men. Men watching tv heard things like "extreme" and saw sets with a dark background, muscly guys and a male instructor who came off in a no-nonsense way. For the first time, men were presented with a viable option to do workouts at home. The biggest thing it did, again mostly for men but to a degree for women, is dispel myths held about in-home workouts.

Most of our significant others and family probably were just as in the dark about home workouts as the average person before they started seeing us do them, focusing more from say 5 or 10 years ago and previous. If they've seen us work out at home, they have a general sense of what home workouts are like. Granted, their perception depends on the workouts each person chooses but in general, they will have more knowledge than most about what's available to work out at home. I think this potentially could allow them to feel more comfortable trying them for themselves and not feel stupid or silly.

With all that in mind, do you think the workouts you/we do tend to help or prevent our loved ones from doing them themselves? Do you think seeing you do the follow-alongs makes it easier for them to try them...even if they might normally feel embarrassed doing them? Do you think it hasn't made a difference at all?

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 08:02 AM  
trishthedish

My husband is one of those men. He will NOT do an exercise DVD. Ever. And I really don't think he'll change his mind on this either. I've been doing DVDs since before we even met, so he's more than familiar with them. And he's seen how effective they are too (watching me work off 60 pounds of baby weight with our first child and 40 pounds with our second) so its not that he thinks that they won't do much for him. But I think its the "Jane Fonda" stigma you mentioned that has him completely against doing them. He thinks they are lame. P90X isn't even something he is interested in. He's a strong guy too and loves to lift weights - but no video will ever sway him I'm afraid. Which is really too bad b/c he keeps saying that he "only works out in gyms" and we live 30 minutes from the nearest gym. So, as a result, he does some weight stuff at home, but not enough to really satisfy him. If i could get him to change his mind, I totally would!!!
Old 08-10-10, 08:16 AM  
PeakFitness

My SO just got P90X but I have yet to see if he will actually start doing it. My ex husband never would do a DVD, he said b/c he lifts too heavy and it's just easier to use gym equipment than buy anything that heavy for home. (But honestly in my opinion, his gym workouts were always disorganized and didn't have concentrated effort like P90X.) On the other hand, like Tricia, he saw that I lost baby weight after 2 kids, all with DVDs, so he really new they work.

My other "loved ones" are my kids, and they LOVE to do my workouts with me! They are 6 and 4 years old, and you should have seen them doing Insanity: Pure Cardio the other day, it was so cute! My 4 year old especially did such a good job!

Bob, did you just have a birthday? Happy Birthday! Unless I imagined it.
Old 08-10-10, 08:20 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakFitness View Post

Bob, did you just have a birthday? Happy Birthday! Unless I imagined it.
I did, and thanks! My 41st birthday was on Sunday.

Hmm, I never imagined the day when I would end up saying "I wish I was 40!"

** 50 time marathoner
Old 08-10-10, 08:34 AM  
daisysunshine

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *confetti*

My mom just started getting into workout dvds. And it is wild, because like trishthedish, mom and my brother saw how just doing Leslie Sansone worked for me (60+ pounds lost). And while I yo-yoed, it was mostly health based, not because my diet/workouts were off (well they WERE off, but you get what I mean ).

My brother wants Insanity/P90x because of the "gym-style" factor. He often goes "Do you need a dvd for EVERYTHING?!" he asks (to which I say, um, yes. !). I don't think it's necessarily the Jane Fonda [while it might be for people who remember Jane Fonda]. I just think it's just that people feel that to work out hard regardless of what you bring into your home, needs to be done in the gym. DVDs only work in a pinch, not as the norm.

I just want people to workout, gym, home, or wherever.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 12:48 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *confetti*
Thanks Daisy!

** 50 time marathoner
Old 08-10-10, 01:35 PM  
videofit

I don't think it matters. What matters is if someone prefers exercising with other people or outdoors. Some just don't want to exercise, period!
Old 08-10-10, 01:37 PM  
F1mom

Happy Birthday, Bob!

DH has no problem working out at home. He used to do quite a bit of my Get Ripped stuff, but it seemed to aggravate his shoulder (he took Levaquin years ago).

If I bring P90X home and start really doing it, I'm sure he'll want to join in at some point, but for now his stock answer is "I lift 250 lb. mounted truck tires most days - that's enough workout for me!".
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 02:06 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

My husband feels like I am educated because of all the dvds I do, so he will ask me "how do I stretch this?" or "what exercise can I do for that?" But he has not ever done videos himself. I don't think he disrespects them; he's heard how I huff and puff doing them and he knows I am lots fitter than he is, so he has a healthy respect for them. And obviously, he respects what I have learned from them about form and stuff. But if he is going to lift weights, he does it on his own while watching TV, and if he's going to do cardio, it's either walking with me and the dog in the evenings (our neighborhood is hilly so that is no small workout really!) or getting on my treadmill.

Overall he is far closer to actually doing a dvd than he would be if he were less familiar with them. But I still don't think he ever will, and that's fine.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-10, 02:12 PM  
devadiva

I like Trish Have a DH that would not dream of doing a dvd, and has seen me have FANTASTIC results I am 58 and do Insanity p90x Clx turbo fire ect ect. SO it aint your MAMAS workout and I do double workout everyday! He is impressed and brags me up. But its just not for him he rides his bike and does some hiking but only wants to do it outside????
As for friends and co workers if they have any idea what the workout is {say they have seen an avertisement for it] They are either impressed or the younger ones think there is NO way that I do it even though I have lost 50 lbs and have exetermely defined muscles.
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote