Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-18, 06:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Babbel.com

Has anyone here taken foreign language lessons from Babbel.com and if so, what has your experience been like? What did you think of the material and the way classes were presented? Did you get what you thought you'll get out of it? I know it depends on the effort you put into it, but I would love to get some input. Thanks!
Old 06-26-18, 02:54 AM  
Negin

We were planning our vacation in Italy. Before going I signed up for their Italian for the 3 month period or whatever it was. For me, it was well worth it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, if we were planning on traveling there again. Since I had absolutely no background in Italian, Babbel was far more suitable for me versus Duo Lingo. Duo Lingo is great for someone who already has some basic knowledge and/or is in no immediate hurry to learn a language. We were in a hurry and I also think that Duo Lingo is not the most suitable for travel purposes. They seriously need to have a section that's designed only for travel. Babbel had practical sections such as ordering food at a restaurant, etc. HTH.
Old 06-26-18, 07:41 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
We were planning our vacation in Italy. Before going I signed up for their Italian for the 3 month period or whatever it was. For me, it was well worth it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat, if we were planning on traveling there again. Since I had absolutely no background in Italian, Babbel was far more suitable for me versus Duo Lingo. Duo Lingo is great for someone who already has some basic knowledge and/or is in no immediate hurry to learn a language. We were in a hurry and I also think that Duo Lingo is not the most suitable for travel purposes. They seriously need to have a section that's designed only for travel. Babbel had practical sections such as ordering food at a restaurant, etc. HTH.
Thank you for your input! I've never heard of Duo Lingo and will check them out. I appreciate it.
Old 06-27-18, 04:08 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Thank you for your input! I've never heard of Duo Lingo and will check them out. I appreciate it.
You're welcome! Duo Lingo is wonderful and it's free. As I mentioned earlier, it's great if you already know the very basics of a language and/or if you have plenty of time and don't feel rushed for any reason. When I say rushed, I mean, you're about to travel somewhere and only want to learn some basic travel phrases and vocab. I'd like to hopefully get back into my daily French practice on Duo Lingo. I love learning languages and wish that I had time to learn more.
Old 07-01-18, 09:34 AM  
suzannaerin

I just signed up for six months of unlimited access to Babbles French courses. I’m a beginner and so far, I love it.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 11:44 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I've been working on learning Japanese for years now. I waited for DuoLingo to have a Japanese version and when they did, it wasn't that great. I think it does much better with other languages.

I haven't tried Babbel.com. (It's about the only one I haven't tried, LOL!) I'm sure I must have researched it at one point and didn't choose it. Maybe I ought to check it out again.

ETA: Babbel doesn't have Japanese. (rolleyes)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 12:28 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I just signed up for six months of unlimited access to Babbles French courses. I’m a beginner and so far, I love it.
That's great that you love it! I think I'm going to sign up for 3 months and see how that goes. I also want to learn French.
Old 07-01-18, 10:24 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I thought I enrolled in Babbel a few days ago through a special deal I saw on FB but apparently the credit card info didn't go through. I did the intro French lesson but it was for very beginners and then it asked me to enroll. I swore my credit card was charged but when I checked this morning there was no charge for Babbel. I will be in France in late August for about 10 days and I want to brush up on my French. I think now I will try Duolingo since its free. If it doesn't suit my needs I will do a 3 month Babbel subscription.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-18, 10:36 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I thought I enrolled in Babbel a few days ago through a special deal I saw on FB but apparently the credit card info didn't go through. I did the intro French lesson but it was for very beginners and then it asked me to enroll. I swore my credit card was charged but when I checked this morning there was no charge for Babbel. I will be in France in late August for about 10 days and I want to brush up on my French. I think now I will try Duolingo since its free. If it doesn't suit my needs I will do a 3 month Babbel subscription.
Sounds like you know some French already? I do not, so I would be starting from scratch with it. I would be interersted to hear about your experience with Duo Lingo and also possibly Babbel as it relates to French.

Thanks for your input!
Old 07-01-18, 10:49 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I took one French class in college ages ago and I have travelled to France four times but I am not remotely fluent. I can order off a menu reasonably well and understand rudimentary greetings, signs, instructions and such but that is the extent of it.
I have dietary restrictions and I want to be able to adequately communicate them without resorting to English. I know a lot of people do speak English but I think it is better to at least try to speak the language when you are travelling even if you butcher it. It shows a certain amount of respect. The thing I liked about the very short lesson on Babbel was that it used the voice recognition. My pronunciation is awful so I think that will help. Not sure if Duolingo has that but I will check it out and see.
My daughter said she used Duolingo for her French class in high school as her teacher gave assignments from there. Again it sounds like it might not be useful for learning for the specific purpose of travelling.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote