Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-12-13, 08:09 AM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
Is it a series, or just the one episode?
It's just one episode, but part of a series of health-related programs by this journalist/doctor.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 09:14 AM  
slysam

I caught part of it on npr, but I already saw it twice on the internet. Some of the commentary I saw (and comments from UK friends) seemed to imply that the take home message was that one can get all the benefit they need from short hiit workouts. For some reason, I didn't get that impression. As I recall, the presenter tested as a "non-responder" to exercise meaning that his vo2max would not improve through aerobic exercise. They said that about 20% of the population falls into this category (I think it was 20%, this was the part that I caught the other night). So for this significant minority group of "non-responders" aerobic exercise would not improve their lung capacity and possibly not their aerobic fitness. He also had a family history of issues, I think glucose related? So they were testing whether he could improve his insulin sensitivity glucose levels with short all-out exercise. For him, that improved his blood work. So most of the benefit he could personally expect from cardio he could achieve in those short, intense sessions and free his time up for other things especially if his general activity was pretty high. I don't think the show really addressed whether someone like him would have other benefits from exercise like improved muscle strength, stamina, flexibility, etc and it really only discussed the benefit of aerobic exercise and NEAT.

I found it really fascinating (and his other show on Fasting was interesting too, I need to catch the one on digestion as I haven't seen that one yet). I think the take-home message was in part that one set of guidelines really doesn't equally benefit everyone and different people respond to exercise in different ways. I hope he does more of these programs.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 11:13 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
I think the take-home message was in part that one set of guidelines really doesn't equally benefit everyone and different people respond to exercise in different ways. I hope he does more of these programs.
ITA! I think he was also trying to demonstrate--as said at the beginning of the program--that many of the greatest benefits of exercise aren't outwardly visible, things like insulin sensitivity, how your body handles/stores fat, etc. And part of the message was directed toward the "two thirds" of people who don't do regular traditional exercise (and maybe feel guilty about it?)--that new research is showing that you can get many of those important benefits in ways besides working out hard several days a week.
Old 04-12-13, 03:04 PM  
Elzabee5

Thanks for the link! I had not seen it yet.
Elzabee5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-13, 03:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by slysam View Post
Some of the commentary I saw (and comments from UK friends) seemed to imply that the take home message was that one can get all the benefit they need from short hiit workouts. For some reason, I didn't get that impression. .......

....... So most of the benefit he could personally expect from cardio he could achieve in those short, intense sessions and free his time up for other things especially if his general activity was pretty high.
yes. i had to watch it several times, all the way til the end, in order to get that.

DH wanted to put that to the test after watching Mr. Mosley go all out on the stationary bike.

i kept trying to search whether Mr. Mosley did any "tests" of his physiological response to weight training. does anyone know?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 12:25 AM  
videofit

I found it interesting that the waitress was fitter than the two men who worked out. The message was: keep moving!
Old 04-13-13, 07:55 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Thanks for the link. I don't remember this.

I can rarely find anything I'm searching for either. I type in something very specific and up come 50 threads that seemingly have nothing to do with what I want
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 07:59 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post

I can rarely find anything I'm searching for either. I type in something very specific and up come 50 threads that seemingly have nothing to do with what I want
The threads that come up will contain at least one post that contains even a word of your search phrase, so can be very time consuming. Have you tried an advanced search or better yet, searching through the tags?

I watched Dr. Mosely's other video Eat, Fast and Live Longer. Forbidden subject matter here but fascinating stuff!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-13, 10:14 AM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:

That is exactly what happens to me! Usually tag searches produce better results, but I still sometimes have a hard time finding information.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-13, 09:46 AM  
PeakFitness

Quote:

I've given up on regular searches and only use the tag search. Which is why I became a VF supporter, mainly to be able to add tags to other people's posts.

Tags
documentary, michael mosley, pbs, the truth about exercise