Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-22-19, 10:18 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Tonal digital weights machine

I am in no way interested in this but I'm currently being subjected to watching tv ads because of my Hulu plan and Tonal has come on with ads a few times. It sort of looked to me at first like that fitness mirror thing that has been mentioned on VF a couple of times. But apparently it works your muscles.

Anyways, just thought I'd put it out there--Tonal exists. I think you have to pay a monthly membership fee in addition to the ginormous price tag.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tona...tartup-2019-11

Article title: "I tried the $3,000 digital weights machine that's like a Peloton for strength training and found how at-home fitness systems are the future — at least for those that can afford it"
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 05:02 PM  
fanofladyvols

https://www.tonal.com/product/tonal/

adawn
I finally saw this ad and had to go look at the price and talk about sticker shock!

Between the initial cost, the required monthly membership and the accessories , this baby packs a whale of a punch on the wallet!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-20, 08:17 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

This is very interesting; I had not heard of it.

Here's my take: Tonal is a big, clunky-looking exercise gadget that goes on a wall and costs a lot of money. As a long-time exerciser and personal trainer, I know one thing about people, which is that 99.9% of them buy exercise machines and after a short period of time, they stop using them. It was the same when I worked in a health club-new members came for a little while and then stopped. It's the rare person who sticks with exercise for the long-term, and new machines don't help with adherence.

As a practical matter, if this machine breaks down, you have to find someone who knows how to fix it, or ship it out, and if it's off warranty, it would cost a fortune.

Buying fitness machines is an investment, and if you buy a machine that depends on a company making workouts, it's guaranteed that over time, there won't be new workouts, or worst case scenario, the business will go under and there won't be any more digital workouts available. Exercise companies and gyms are among the most likely businesses to go bankrupt (pandemic or not).

The author of the article pointed out the problem with home exercisers not knowing if their form is correct. That's always an issue with home exercising, but it's a concern, since injuries can occur. The fact that the Tonal is fixed makes it limited in terms of range of motion (which is true with machines in general).

I think plenty of rich people who are stuck at home and want to exercise, might give these machines a try, but over time, they will stop using them.

Some dumbbells, bands and videos will do the job better and will last forever.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-20, 06:32 AM  
Demeris

Cricket!

My last car cost less than that!
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fitness gadget, tonal, weight bench, weight lifting