Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-18, 12:06 PM  
TinaT

Emotionally Detaching From Workouts

I know we've (I've) talked about this topic more times than we should. So I really don't want to waste anyone's time hashing over the "whys". I would like to talk about the "how tos".

I'm tired of looking at workouts sitting on my shelves, yet I just don't reach for them. Then I tell myself: "Keep them around Tina b/c someday you'll use them." Someday has come and gone. Yet I get this horrid feeling at the thought of it being absent from my collection. It's just a freaking workout dvd!!!! I need to get over this!!

Who has been able to rid yourself of wasted workouts that aren't being used?

Any suggestions are absolutely appreciated.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 01:20 PM  
Sara1000

How are you going to get rid of them? I can't even give them away here on VF. The library doesn't want them either. And it won't get any easier with more and more people going to streaming.

So I keep them in shoe boxes on my closet shelf, and occasionally I dig one out and enjoy doing it, but before long it goes back.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 01:40 PM  
TinaT

I have tried trading/selling but before I give anyone a chance to make an offer, I find myself second guessing my decision to get rid of them and take my list down. It's a never ending cycle.

I've been purging my home of things/clutter that aren't of use to me anymore and so I figured this is an area I need to tackle as well.

And yes, I agree, it's going to get harder to find someone who wants them with streaming/download becoming the new norm.
Old 09-20-18, 02:00 PM  
sbh

A while ago, here on VF, someone mentioned that they donated their workout dvds to Wounded Warriors. You might check with them or other vet organizations to see if they would accept them.
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 02:08 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's hard to get rid of workouts. Everyone is moving to streaming....the exchange listings are slow. If you think you want to keep them and may do them, take them out of your plastic cases and put in a CD binder or album. Otherwise, just find somewhere to donate and be done. (Then, don't repurchase .)

It is sad....but the era of dvds is really ending.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 02:13 PM  
TinaT

Jackie ~Has Miranda talked at all about moving away from dvds? I know she streams already, but is there any chatter about phasing out of the dvd market?

Sherri ~ Wounded Warriors is a great suggestion. Thanks.
Old 09-20-18, 02:37 PM  
DCW

Oh no!!

No more DVDs!!

I just found Miranda/Essentrics a few years ago. I love my dvds.

Streaming isn't always an option depending on where you live.

I guess my next big purchase is a dvd player and doubling up on my CS/Essentrics dvds.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 02:40 PM  
Kizzy

Quite a while ago I purged and took 3 large garbage bags full to the Salvation Army.

I found owning so many gave me more stress than joy. It was hard to choose which one to workout to...which routine should be followed....and man...all the money spent on them and then there were the ones that were still in their shrink wrap!! Shame on me!!

I got honest with myself...I'm 61 and don't want to wipe myself out any more...I like the ones that are filmed outside or in a bright studio with an outdoor view. I kept some of my favorite instructors...kept all of Jessica's . After the purge I ended up with one large tub full and quite a few on 'one' shelf. I think there's enough variety there that I won't ever get bored. Since I don't enjoy streaming I am SOOOOO grateful Jessica is still producing DVD's. I'm looking forward to purchasing her others that are to come out this year.

I hope you can make a decision. As for me?? NO REGRETS....I STILL feel nothing but an awesome relief.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 03:17 PM  
sherry7899

I go back and forth on this....I get rid of dvds, I reacquire some and still don't do them! It is ridiculous the amount of mental energy, money and space this can take up! I should go with my gut and if I got rid of something, I got rid of it for a reason-too hard, too boring or just didn't like it.

I donate the dvds I don't want to my library for their book sales, which raises money for the library. They have ordered hundreds of books for me that I have requested over the years, so I gladly do this.

I am about to go through my collection again and see if there's anything else I know I will never use. I am sick of staring at dvds and feeling guilty for not using them.

Good luck!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-18, 04:11 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
It's hard to get rid of workouts. Everyone is moving to streaming....the exchange listings are slow. If you think you want to keep them and may do them, take them out of your plastic cases and put in a CD binder or album. Otherwise, just find somewhere to donate and be done. (Then, don't repurchase .)

It is sad....but the era of dvds is really ending.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCW View Post
Oh no!!

No more DVDs!!

I just found Miranda/Essentrics a few years ago. I love my dvds.

Streaming isn't always an option depending on where you live.

I guess my next big purchase is a dvd player and doubling up on my CS/Essentrics dvds.
I think that Essentrics will produce dvds for awhile...at least the Classical Stretch dvds. After being in Montreal last summer, I am aware that they are trying to stay competitive with their streaming and build their "exclusive content". I understand the "why" behind it.

I also can jump on the thought process of wanting to own a physical dvd and not stream...whether it's your connection (I struggle in MN) or just the idea of the stream of money that goes out the window.

I am enjoying my ETV and Ellen Barrett streaming services.

Unfortunately, like it or not, dvds are on the way out.

ETA--Tina I meant to quote you...but I quoted myself. Oh well .

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote