Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-15-18, 12:38 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Is it necessary...

To remove shipping labels from boxes before recycling them? Does it really make a difference for privacy/identity theft type reasons?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 12:44 PM  
blzgrl

When we moved to Arizona it was recommended that we do it because AZ has the highest rate of identity theft in the country.
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 02:47 PM  
Wanda
VF Supporter

I always do - but then again I live in Arizona
Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 02:56 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

My husband feels strongly about removing the shipping labels from boxes, but I don't understand why it's such a big deal... I mean, we own our home so it's a matter of public record that our name is associated with this address! It's not like it's private information.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:14 PM  
SpiritYogi

I don't but now I'm wondering if maybe I should. Never thought about the privacy / identity theft aspect since someone can open my weekly bag of garbage and get way more information than a box label would provide.
SpiritYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:57 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I always do for privacy. Our recycling service tends to lose things along the way, or maybe the wind blows it away but I always pick up something off the street in front of my house with our neighbors name on it. I also religiously shred anything else that has my name on it (mail) before I throw it into the recycling. Sounds paranoid, but I've always done it and it's second nature by now.
Old 06-15-18, 05:33 PM  
Bluebelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I always do for privacy. Our recycling service tends to lose things along the way, or maybe the wind blows it away but I always pick up something off the street in front of my house with our neighbors name on it. I also religiously shred anything else that has my name on it (mail) before I throw it into the recycling. Sounds paranoid, but I've always done it and it's second nature by now.
I also shred anything with my name on it. I sometimes feel silly doing it but better safe than sorry.
Bluebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 06:06 PM  
Sara1000

I just mark through our name & address with a fat black marker - on boxes and all my junk mail - anything serious like account info I burn in the back yard periodically. We live outside the city limits.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-18, 02:34 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

someone here mentioned how a thief ordered things from a paper catalog that had the addresee's name, address and cust # pre-printed on the order form!

after i read that, i now make sure i remove and shred anything with my address on it, especially if there's a customer # inside of the catalog.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-18, 06:28 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I always remove labels; can't hurt.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote