Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-10-17, 11:43 AM  
TinaT

All of these posts are wonderful. With some great ideas of how to give myself time in the midst of difficulty. Even if it's only 15 min here and there.

One truth that has come to light reading thru the thread is that I set my goals too big. I need to have micro goals that are reachable so that my motivation stays with me. My goals need to be realistic. Which I believe in the last 2 years, have not been. Maybe not to even have an end goal for now. Wait until I reach small goals along the way before considering what the ultimate goal should be. Other than being healthy of course.

I don't want to participate in challenges, etc. as that has never motivated me.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 11:49 AM  
Lannette

1. You can't out run what you can eat. Nutrition is king.
2. Consistency is paramount. No one gets it done in one workout every now and again.
3. Commitment- I'm always amazed when a new DVD or system shows up and a week later people are asking those using it about their "results." Really? Yes there may be some quick changes - I dropped a pants size in a little over a week - but the real long reaching results take longer, not forever but longer.

I've been doing Callanetics, almost exclusively since late September. I'm working out less than I had been before, rarely more than an hour, most often 30-45 minutes. I do have a lot of active steps that are automatically a part of my life.

In the time I've devoted to exploring Callanetics I've seen really positive changes. The biggest is realignment of a previously painful postural deviation. My ribs are no longer thrusting, hamstrings and quads more balanced, both hamstrings equally long.

On top of that I've been watching my body move towards the body shape that Callanetics promotes. My thighs are tightening and are rock hard. Butt lifting, stomach tightening, increases LB definition, interestingly enough skin smoothing, though that could be helped by my fascia blaster and/or sauna.

I'm lucky that the workout never bores me. There are so many form elements to concentrate upon! The streaming site also provides more WOs than I've had time to try.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 12:02 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Thank you for your graciousness--I realized after I wrote that it might sound insensitive since you lost your dear one not long ago! So thank you for taking it in the spirit in which it was intended! I do admire your tenacity in pursuing a beautiful, enjoyable life after such hardship. I can only imagine how easy it would be to be mired down in grief. I find I can SO easily go to the place of self-pity. SOS prayers and activity can really be life savers!
Oh of course. I knew what you meant, and I definitely took it the way you intended. Like I said, it made me smile... because it is my goal to live my life the best way I can. And thank you again for your sweet words.

Yes, the grief is sometimes overwhelming, even still, and it has been 2 years. (I'm facing the 2 year anniversary of his death on 2/16). And once again I am in total agreement with you... prayer and activity can be life savers!
Old 02-10-17, 12:04 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
1. You can't out run what you can eat. Nutrition is king.
2. Consistency is paramount. No one gets it done in one workout every now and again.
3. Commitment- I'm always amazed when a new DVD or system shows up and a week later people are asking those using it about their "results." Really? Yes there may be some quick changes - I dropped a pants size in a little over a week - but the real long reaching results take longer, not forever but longer.

I've been doing Callanetics, almost exclusively since late September. I'm working out less than I had been before, rarely more than an hour, most often 30-45 minutes. I do have a lot of active steps that are automatically a part of my life.

In the time I've devoted to exploring Callanetics I've seen really positive changes. The biggest is realignment of a previously painful postural deviation. My ribs are no longer thrusting, hamstrings and quads more balanced, both hamstrings equally long.

On top of that I've been watching my body move towards the body shape that Callanetics promotes. My thighs are tightening and are rock hard. Butt lifting, stomach tightening, increases LB definition, interestingly enough skin smoothing, though that could be helped by my fascia blaster and/or sauna.

I'm lucky that the workout never bores me. There are so many form elements to concentrate upon! The streaming site also provides more WOs than I've had time to try.
That's exactly my story but with Pilates. I workout less, am active during my day, don't get bored. I've had far better results from working out less but doing what works for my body.

As far as changes, I started with one change to my diet per week and a goal just to do 20-30 minutes a day, and walking my dog. It's never a strenuous walk~just moving. That's what started me on my journey back to a healthy weight for me.
Old 02-10-17, 03:18 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

I got the best results the first time with pilates and classic Firm workouts, I literally jumped out of bed eager to work out every morning and loved every minute of it. I worked out daily. I was in my early 20s and didn't seem to have to worry about food intake. Aesthetically I was tiny and muscular everywhere, but it was mostly my morale that made me so nostalgic for this time. But then some big life events derailed me.

The second time I got great results was a couple of years ago around 30, I got really into barre (I worked out just about daily), and was able to clean up my eating for the first time in my life. One of the many things I love about barre, is that it really doesn't increase your appetite. (No, it doesn't burn many calories either, but the calories saved/avoided is more efficient for me than calories burned). I wasn't literally jumping out of bed this time , but I was pretty thrilled that for the first time in my life I had my eating down (I was overweight as a child and teen). Aesthetically I wasn't quite as cut as the first time around, but I was still pretty slim and my legs looked amazing, maybe even better than the first time. Once again, I was totally in the zone and thrilled but then some big life events detailed me.

Now that life has calmed down (at least compared to last year) I've been trying to get back to my clean eating with barre. I quickly got the exercise part back - I LOVE exercise - and eating is mostly good but still really trying hard, I gained a little over 10 pounds in the last couple of years and I'm really trying to turn it around. Looking back I know I just have to live it and enjoy it (once I'm in the zone I'm golden), and the results will follow, but the process of getting back into the zone is still tedious and frustrating.
Old 02-10-17, 04:15 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
That's exactly my story but with Pilates. I workout less, am active during my day, don't get bored. I've had far better results from working out less but doing what works for my body.

As far as changes, I started with one change to my diet per week and a goal just to do 20-30 minutes a day, and walking my dog. It's never a strenuous walk~just moving. That's what started me on my journey back to a healthy weight for me.
That's great cherimac! Congratulations!

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 05:21 PM  
lithium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Lithium, that's so awesome! Love to hear your joy! It sounds like much of what's sparking it for you is the social aspect working out at a gym provides. Exercising at home has so many benefits, but for some, that community aspect of a gym or classes can't be beat.
Yes! As I told my friends many times after I left my last job, I don't miss the "working" part, but I do miss the camaraderie at a work place. A community of like-minded people (VF is also such a place) can really lift your spirit like nothing else. Also the variety - no two classes are the same. You show up everyday with new expectations - like unwrapping a surprise gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Marie View Post
My schedule:

Monday: Bootcamp AM, Bootcamp PM, and Strength Training Upper Body PM
Tuesday: Bootcamp AM and Bootcamp PM
Wednesday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training arms Planet Fitness, and 4 mile run
Thursday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training Legs PM
Friday: Bootcamp AM
Saturday: Bootcamp AM, Strength Training AM
Sunday: 4 Mile Run and Cathe DVD

I have to issue a disclaimer here and say that I really have no other life. It would be funny if it weren't true. But it's what I love, and it has gotten me through the last 2 years. And at 60 years old I'm definitely in the best shape of my life!
Even though I hardly post, I visit VF every day so I know your life stories, Jeanne Marie. Hugs to you...... But are you insane - two bootcamps every day!!!??? My Body Works class is like a bootcamp. Even after a year I still can't finish everything the instructor does - some movements I have to modify in the end. We always joke at the end of the class that we "survived" another one. So even though I love the class, I can't imagine taking more than 2 in the same week. Well you, young lady, are doing two in a day? Hats off to you! One of my Zumba instructors is 70 years old but she can out-jump, out-shake, out-shimmy the best of us. I will be 50 next month. You ladies are my inspiration. The best are yet to come!
lithium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 05:24 PM  
Titus2woman

The best shape I was in was around '93? I was using the Firm Classics and then Tortoise/Hare, and then I started biking to work (about 30 mi. round trip). I ate fairly cleanly, but not perfectly. In '96 I was pregnant with our first child and have never been as fit again. For many years I remained strong doing vids (venturing out from The Firm by now), but still increased in size. Now I am starting all over again from the worst shape of my life~in size and strength.

I still have young children and prefer vids at home, but (again~so sorry!) after reading _Younger Next Year_ I can see that my future when my children are grown will be the gym for further connection to people.

Jeanne Marie, thank you for always being a picture of grace.

More people fail from a lack of encouragement than anything else!
Titus2woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-17, 07:13 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
That's great cherimac! Congratulations!
Thanks!
Old 02-10-17, 10:16 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I'm probably in the best shape I've been since having kids. I just finished my Level 4 Essentrics certification. I've been doing Essentrics/CS exclusively for years and just took it to the next level preparing for exams and teaching.

I teach 5 classes/week and on my non teaching days I do more of it. I also walk and ski.

I think it's a matter of just finding what you like to do and stick with it. And as far as nutrition...you can't expect results without addressing how you're fueling your body.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, results, successful weight loss