Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-16, 09:41 AM  
hotncmom

Random workouts - results?

There may already be a thread on here about this but I searched and couldn't find it.

I have a HUGE problem with sticking to a rotation, as many of us do.

My problem is that due to recent menopause-related problems (including a long bout of insomnia), I now weigh 15 lbs. more than I'd like and most of my clothes don't fit. I'm more interested in seeing my clothes loosen up than scale weight, obviously, but in my case one size seems to be the equivalent of about 7 lbs.

I am able to do something every day, but I really need to match my workouts to my energy at this time in my life. Which makes it really hard to stick to a rotation. I started Evolution 20 last week and got through all the workouts, but even a 20 minute high intensity (with modifications) made me feel wiped out. I also immediately started thinking about how to sub out the pilates and yoga from the set with "better" workouts.

Isn't the most important thing consistency and some variety (for instance, not always doing cardio)? I've got that in spades. I try to walk outside most days (for at least 30 minutes), plus do a strength-based video workout. Some days I have the energy for an hour-long Ultimate Yogi, and some days I do 20-40 minutes of Jessica Smith or barre, pilates, or yoga.

The main thing is keeping my cortisol low so that I don't overeat. With not sleeping well, my body is always looking for energy sources and that's not always the healthiest choice. I DO know how to eat healthy, so I don't need any advice on that, but I know that if I stress my body too much, I will go for the poor choices, so I need to be mindful of my energy levels for the day and not push myself in a workout just because it's on the schedule.

So all that being said, I know that some of you have mentioned losing weight when you backed off, or even when you were on vacation just doing a lot of walking and no formal exercise.

I've gone through my workouts and pulled out everything that appeals to me right now, including some oldies but goodies. I really love the idea of revisiting some of the workouts that worked for me in the beginning.

So the plan is a walking goal of 4-5 miles/day plus 20-45 minutes a day of a workout (depending on intensity, and of course, the amount of time I have available that day).

Has anyone toned up (lost weight, fit into clothes better) just doing random workouts of whatever they felt like?

I'm thinking consistency is more important than what you do!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 09:50 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

One year I went through my video collection and did a different workout every day. I alternated between strength, cardio, and recovery. I don't think I lost anything fitness wise and it was a good way to weed through my collection.

After having my last baby, I remember only doing short workouts...like 20 minute s. I did Powerfits, 10 MS, Michelle Dozios's half hour workouts...I had quite the collection back then. I also walked a lot. I did drop my pregnancy weight.

Now...of course ....all I do is Essentrics/CS and walk.

I do think that consistency is key...just daily movement. If you don't like rotations (I don't either) then do the workouts you love.

Oh and I can totally relate to sleep issues and energy sources. I'm in an insomnia loop right now and was up last night, not making great food choices.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:41 AM  
Vantreesta

If you think back before Beachbody swept the fitness world there really weren't that many sets out there and we still stayed in shape. Do what you enjoy and will stick with, IMO. Good luck!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:43 AM  
Vantreesta

Sorry, double post.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:45 AM  
bubbles76

Vantreesta I never thought about it like that.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:55 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Have you seen a doctor about your insomnia? If you're not getting enough sleep, worrying about a rotation is kind of like tuning up a car with no wheels Sleep is so important for energy, weight loss, keeping down cravings - it's the ultimate detox.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 10:57 AM  
upperwside

I don't think we have to stick to a full rotation. Just do what you enjoy... but shake things up by changing what you do once in a while. Weights are important for building strength.. or weight bearing exercises. Sounds like your fitness is right on track. A lot of my friends are going through peri or menopause now. The key seems to be for them is to work really hard on food choices and watching portions. Not easy or fun.. but I can see it work. I tried tracking my food at my fitness pal a while ago and realised I was eating too many calories. Maybe try tracking food?

Good luck. very frustrating dealing with the changing of our bodies. I also know a friend who does guided mindful meditation before bed to sleep better. She say it's working wonders to help her sleep better. She also says it helps her when she wakes up... she's finding it easier to fall back asleep quicker.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:02 AM  
Sara1000

For me it's important to plan a rotation as that gets me motvated, but after a short time I change my mind and do something else.

Sometimes that's the best way to find out what you really like (or don't like)
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:07 AM  
MsThistlebottom

Here's a thread from a few months ago that you might find helpful. In the past, I've had the best results by following a loose rotation (say, walking + flexibility combined with split weight training). Oddly enough, I had my best results 12+ years ago when I had a handful of DVDs (Ellen and Leslie), didn't even know what a rotation was , and had just gone through menopause. I just made sure that I did something every day. And I agree with previous posters: consistency and getting enough sleep are critical.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:20 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
Have you seen a doctor about your insomnia? If you're not getting enough sleep, worrying about a rotation is kind of like tuning up a car with no wheels Sleep is so important for energy, weight loss, keeping down cravings - it's the ultimate detox.
Yes, that's all covered. Seeing a doctor and doing all the sleep hygiene things. Getting sleep is very, VERY important to me. I have had some friends who have basically said that once you get older you never sleep well again, and I just refuse to accept that.

I am doing much better now, but for about 8 weeks there it was pretty bad. There were some nights I didn't sleep at all, and others where I got maybe 3-4 hours of broken sleep.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
food journal, food logging, insomnia, my fitness pal, results, rotationally challenged, rotations, sleep, workout log