Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-19-16, 11:56 AM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafelattee View Post
my dh was body builder before we got married in 90 so we've always had a bench/weight gym equipment

We've updated most everything over the past 10 years. He did take the old dumbells and sandblast them and recoat.

We actually have a traditional bench press, squat rack, leg attachment set and then the smithmachine with bench set.

Now ask me how often I use an of it I prefer using dumbells. I have a full range up into the guy size heavy. I've only used up to the 45 lb set
You doing better than me your 45#! I only have up to 25# and only use them for lat rows. Could probably push myself and do some chest presses with them but haven't tried so far. 20# is all I normally do for chest presses. Next time I do a chest workout I'll have to challenge myself to go heavier.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 12:05 PM  
Hazel Porter

I have two -- a cheapo Danskin one that was a gift many moons ago and a nice solid Gold's Gym one with a rack for an Olympic bar that I got around the time STS came out.

But unless I'm lifting on my own, I usually just pull out my step and use that as a bench -- neither bench is easy to move (wheels! What a great idea!) and they're both tucked off in the corners of my workout space, away from where the dumbbells and other equipment I typically need are.
Old 01-19-16, 12:14 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel Porter View Post
I have two -- a cheapo Danskin one that was a gift many moons ago and a nice solid Gold's Gym one with a rack for an Olympic bar that I got around the time STS came out.

But unless I'm lifting on my own, I usually just pull out my step and use that as a bench -- neither bench is easy to move (wheels! What a great idea!) and they're both tucked off in the corners of my workout space, away from where the dumbbells and other equipment I typically need are.
Yeah, that's me, too. Except I only have the one bench.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 12:19 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
I got a cheap one too when I bought STS a few years ago. It has a place for the barbell and a leg extensions. Pretty basic. The back can go flat and 2 levels of incline. Like Pie, it's serving its purpose.
My SO have a weight bench (like Dbclark described) that I could certainly use, but where it is placed I can't watch the tv, so I mostly reach for my full step and multiple risers. I'd probably use it, if I was doing paper workouts.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:08 PM  
Cafelattee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
You doing better than me your 45#! I only have up to 25# and only use them for lat rows. Could probably push myself and do some chest presses with them but haven't tried so far. 20# is all I normally do for chest presses. Next time I do a chest workout I'll have to challenge myself to go heavier.
It hard to jump up 5lb. I was in a plateau for a long time before I got some micro weights. I was able to add a 1 lb at a time which worked for me. Its slower going but because of my age I have to put my joint health before my ego
Cafelattee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:10 PM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

I had one that was part of a squat rack combo but just replaced it with a PowerBlock adjustable bench. Love it! Feels much more solid than my old bench.

What prompted me to buy this one was that it's used in Beach Body's Hammer & Chisel. BUT I am not stepping up on it like they do in the dvds!

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse_SportBench.php

I bought it from Wayfair on ebay with free shipping.

Kathy
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:14 PM  
lizh

My weightbench is my transfirmer.
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 01:26 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

yes - the danskin bench and barbell set - I posted about my find in this thread: Danskin Weighted Bar Barbell and Adjustable Dumbbells + Bench in the Equipment/Gear forum.

It doesn't have wheels, though - that would've been nice. I keep it very close to where I work out and it takes up a small footprint when it's folded up. it folds in the upright position.

when I do have it out, I love it.

instead, I've been using my step co. step as a weight bench since I don't lift heavy enough to warrant a rack. my danskin bench doesn't have a rack either, but I like that you can easily change it to an incline, and it's nicely padded.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 02:02 PM  
rhbrand

Got a cheap one a few years ago, but later this winter/early spring, hubby and I are going to get a nice home gym set up so I'm going to get an upgrade!
Old 01-19-16, 02:57 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I got a Weider model about 18 years ago when I was doing Joyce Vedral's book workouts. It's on the porch waiting for someone to use it again.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight bench