Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-01-20, 02:32 PM  
YogaGal

Kundalini Yoga for January 2020!

Welcome to 2020! While we can set goals and make self-improvement plans anytime of the year, there’s something special about the clean, blank slate of a New Year.

Please share any goals or thoughts you have about this new year (yoga-related or otherwise) with us here in the Kundalini check-in.

This is a check-in thread for anyone who is trying to add regular Kundalini yoga to their lives (either as a sole form of exercise or along with other types of exercise). It doesn't matter if you're doing it with dvds, on your own, in live classes, etc. Anyone that wants to try adding regular kundalini to help achieve their goals of fitness, health and well-being is welcome (as well as those who are just interested in the possibility).

Sat Nam!
Old 01-02-20, 09:29 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Good morning! Thank you for starting the first thread of the new decade, Carolyn.

I have some goals for January that are primarily "getting over the end of 2019" goals such as cleaner eating, etc. I really let things go November-December. I of course plan to do more Kundalini. My car loan will be paid off next month, our expensive new mattress was paid off last month. Barring any unforeseen issues, that freed up portion of my paycheck is going to increased 401k contributions and into my rainy day fund.

But today, I am activating the month of YogaGlo from my Secret Santa! I can't wait to see what Kia Miller has been up to in my absence, and if any other instructors have Kundalini offerings.

Happy New Year everyone and I hope all your dreams and wishes for 2020 come true.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-20, 05:45 PM  
YogaGal

Pat: I know that the end of 2019 was a sad time after the loss of your sister, so I hope that 2020 will be a year of healing and strength for you. Having debts cleared away is a weight off of you and a chance to spend that money on fun things like yoga!

My last yoga for 2019 was Brett Larkin’s Gentle Yoga for Flexibility. I started the new year and decade with Raviana’s Beauty Body Warmup and Part 1. On Thursday I did Sarah Beth’s Yin Yoga for Tight Hips, Thighs, & Groin. Last Friday I did Brett Larkin’s Morning Kundalini Practice. On Monday I did Sarah Beth’s 10-minute Power Yoga. Tuesday’s yoga was Raviana’s Beauty Body Part 2.

My yoga plan for 2020 is to explore more Kundalini teachers and not rely so much on my Raviana dvd collection. Also, after exploring some hatha and yin yoga practices while healing my sciatica issues in October and November, I decided that I also want to mix in a little hatha and yin with my Kundalini this year. The yin is so helpful for tight areas and for slowing down and meditating while doing yoga.

Waving to everyone!
Old 01-09-20, 04:28 PM  
aliskina

I would like to join this check-in. This year I want to concentrate on KY, since I see so many benefits to my physical and mental states and I am trying to dial down a bit after tricep injury. I also committing to daily meditation (Holosync), walks, diet changes (Intermittent Fasting, Carnivore) to reduce inflammation. So far, this year, I 've done the following every day since 1/2:
Raviana Ultimate Stretch
Gurmukh
Nirvair back morning
Raviana Hip Bliss
Raviana Beginner & Beyond
Raviana Fat Free
Raviana Short set for Inspiration
Raviana Happy Hormones
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 11:12 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Welcome Aliskina! Happy to have you aboard.

Thank you Carolyn. I'm feeling a little better about my sister by now. I look forward to reading about your experiences with different KY teachers.

I've been using my YogaGlo gift certificate pretty much exclusively for participating in the yoga sadhana. Last night I tried one of Kia Miller's practices, Recharge and Glow. It had a very difficult rocking in bow with BOF for three minutes which I had to keep resting for, but otherwise it was nice.
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-20, 10:27 AM  
aliskina

Finished last week with Raviana Solar Power, Gabrielle Pelicci KY and Live Hot Vinyasa Yoga
Old 01-13-20, 03:35 PM  
YogaGal

Welcome to our check-in, Aliskina! We are happy to have you here! You have a great set of Kundalini dvds.

Pat: Glad to hear you are feeling better and are enjoying your YogaGlow subscription.

Sadly my yoga has been lacking these past few days, but I’m confident that once my schedule starts back on Monday I’ll be back to a more regular yoga schedule as well.

In fact, this morning I tried out the first part of Maya Fiennes Yoga for Real Beauty. I previewed it last night. I enjoy her accent and the music, but I did have to modify the movement some. I did the first 15 minutes and you are moving your arms alternately up and down for about 5 minutes while turning your head, then holding your arms out in front for 2 to 3 minutes and then back to the first movement. My shoulders were on fire! I took a few breaks resting my hands on my shoulders as I turned my head left and right. I plan to explore the rest of this dvd this week.
Old 01-13-20, 05:45 PM  
Lannette

Hi Everyone! I’ve been terrible about checking. I don’t really have an excuse other than I already log my WOs daily on a blog thread.

Aliskina Welcome! I really like the Holosync CD I have, though I haven’t used it for quite a while. Did you do Pelicci’s ball yoga or her regular practice? I’ve done the Ball practice not too long ago but haven’t done the other for a while. I had a neck and shoulder injury about 7 months ago and KY really helped me to heal. I hope you find the same though it sounds like you tricep May have already healed.

Carolyn, I remember feeling the same way during Y4 Real Beauty. It scared me because of my neck and shoulder issues as did a few other arm intensive KY sequences but not one of them bothered my healing injury. It’s amazing how restorative it can be.

Pat, I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better. It takes time.
I’ve never tried yogaglow. If you’ve used yogadownload.com, how does it compare?

I got Maya Fiennes’ A Journey Through the Chakras DVDs for Christmas. I knew I was getting them. I had put a notice on VF Roost and DH said he wanted to buy them for me but could only find streaming. I found them in PAL format very inexpensively and he wrapped them after checking the disks.

I’m currently working through each Chakra taking as much time as I feel I want before moving on. I’ve been making a study of it by pulling out my books. Maya’s first Chakra DVD surprised me as it’s pretty intense. For instance you repeatedly alternate seated forward bend and flipping your legs over your head into plow. I slowed it down at first and when I did it today it felt quite secure, almost fun. I plan to spend at least a week per Chakra. The

Our family is now doing a daily Mantra Meditation together because my son is now doing his own daily KY practice! This marks real progress and we are thrilled. Sorry for yapping on and on. That seems to be my posting personality.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-20, 10:24 AM  
aliskina

Lannette, I only have Gabrielle's regular practice. Is it worth getting the one with a ball? Also, is there big difference between Intro Mantra Girl and Advanced DVD? Thanks
Old 01-14-20, 05:29 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliskina View Post
Lannette, I only have Gabrielle's regular practice. Is it worth getting the one with a ball? Also, is there big difference between Intro Mantra Girl and Advanced DVD? Thanks
I just looked at my review on my blog to refresh my memory. I don’t consider it a full KY practice. It feels more like a KY warm-up with added more traditional exercises. If you want to read the full review it’s under the label “Kundalini Yoga” but bottom line I’d say it’s nice to have for variety but hardly a must have.

Going from memory here and I haven’t done MG Advanced for years, I do remember it being a pretty big jump from one to another. I reviewed the original and honestly meant to review the advanced practice but just haven’t been drawn to it. Since I’m surviving and thriving on all the stuff Maya’s thrown at me I need to just pull it out and do it!

How do you like Gabrielle’s regular practice? I’m following a rotation right now but am thinking of pulling a regular KY practice in once a week in place of my Chakra practice.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote