Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-20, 08:56 PM  
pharma_gal

Weighted vests

I’m looking for a weighted vest. Any recommendations? If I can pick up from a store I prefer that instead of ordering online. Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:04 AM  
Terry

Mine from Walmart was big/bulky as a "One Size Fits All" - - - 6-foot 4-inch 300 pound men included. It was hot and the bulk was uncomfortable. The length made it hit the top of my quads during a squat. I gave it away to friends twice and it was returned twice. I finally pulled some of the soft weights to use inside a sandbag and gave the vest and the rest of the weights to the Goodwill.

I saw a few people in my Boot Camp class with close-fitted vests that were short. They ran in these and didn't complain. I don't think anybody would have enjoyed running in the Walmart vest I tossed (Joe Weider I think, but not sure). These smaller vests were all picked up from Academy Sports + Outdoors.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:20 AM  
aliskina

I have this one (8lb) and its great for walk and walking type workouts like Jessica's or Leslie's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
aliskina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 12:03 PM  
lavna

I got this type of vest some years ago from Costco here in Canada: https://www.costco.ca/iron-body-fitn....10319279.html. Mine is ajustable up to 40 lbs. You can probably find something similar in the US.
I use it for legs rather than cardio. It allows me to lift much heavier than with a barbell only.
HTH.
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 01:01 PM  
Vantreesta

I have a 10# Cathe vest that I like quite a lot. I use it for treadmill hills (walking, not running) and honestly can't say I get any hotter with it than without it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 01:27 PM  
buffmama

Watching the thread. A 20 lb vest would come in handy for doing NROL at home.
Old 01-09-20, 03:02 PM  
Workingit

I purchased one at Marshall's for a very reasonable price.
Workingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-20, 10:44 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliskina View Post
I have this one (8lb) and its great for walk and walking type workouts like Jessica's or Leslie's. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This looks interesting but I want to try one on in a store. I am short and have a short torso so it is hard to find things that fit. In another thread Sherry alerted us that Aldi had soft weighted plates which are essentially small sand bags. I got a set-which is a 10 lb, 8 lb and 5 lb weight. I put the two smaller ones in two different small backpacks that I have and I think it will work for walking.
I am trying to increase my bone density or at least stabilize my current bone strength so I am giving weighted walking a try.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 12:53 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I walked 4 miles with the 5 lb soft weight in the day pack and it worked great. I will gradually work my way up to the 8 lb weight by adding an ankle weight in each one. I have adjustable ankle weights.
I am still interested in a vest though if I can get one that fits.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 06:55 PM  
manleym

I picked up one at Target the other day. I haven't tried it on but it has adjustable straps so I'm hoping it will fit. I'm short and am not "off the rack." It was on sale for just under $30.
manleym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weighted vest