Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-07-16, 04:46 PM  
Chomper

The Body Acceptance Movement

http://jessikneeland.com/the-body-acceptance-movement/

"In summary here, there is no moral highground when it comes to having or training your body. There’s only “what serves me best right now?” But no matter where you are in your journey, and what your goals are, I encourage you to come from a place of positive, self-compassionate intentions."
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 11:18 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Very interesting opinion! Thanks for the link.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-16, 04:25 PM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
I personally advocate autonomy above all else, so there’s no real reason for any kind of moralizing or divide here in my eyes. Each person is entitled to do whatever she likes with her own damn body, and there is zero reason for anyone to judge another person’s body, or her motivation for training it.
Brava!

Training for aesthetic results has never worked for me, but I've lucked into workouts that have had fun side effects. BBL "Bum Bum" is one of the single most FUN workouts I own, and bonus! It gave me a butt for the first time ever. That's kind of fun. And running brings me JOY, like absolutely nothing else in my life, so that's why I do it--but it also slimmed down my thighs like nothing else in my life. I also love weights and HIIT and plyos and barre and never saw anything aesthetic from any of them. (I was still soft and curvy and never looked "cut," even at 17% body fat.) But they're still worth doing.

I thought it was really interesting when she said her aesthetic goals come from a place of admiration and ego-boosting. I once read about a study that found the way men and women look at themselves in the mirror tends to be very different. Men tend to zero in on all the things they love about their bodies ("Check out my GUNS!" and ignore the spare tire. ), but women do the opposite. Since then, I've made a conscious effort to look at myself and say, "Cellulite, oh well, but my legs are really strong and I've been blessed with nice skin."

But over the years of trying different workouts, I've learned that my body is kind of going to do what it's going to do, no matter what *I* do... so I try instead to put the focus on things I have control over: my behaviors (deciding to do the workouts and eat well) and my responses (my legs are just fine, thank you, Mom.). Anything else is just a bonus.
Old 01-09-16, 04:34 PM  
Chomper

Glad to see you back, Prairiegem!

I missed you.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, results, training goals