Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-18, 12:56 PM  
pharma_gal

Some questions on Foam Rolling

I have been trying to foam roll on my own. I want to know if its ok to foam roll the lower back? Some videos that I've watched do them and some caution against using it on the lower back.

Also, what parts of the upper body do you roll out? Im only doing the lats right now but I'm wondering if anyone foam rolls the chest and smaller muscle groups like biceps and triceps. Can you list the parts that you foam roll?

Lastly, any good book on foam rolling? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-18, 11:09 PM  
bex

I never foam roll the lower back. I think it could be dangerous for the kidneys. If I foam roll my back, I stop at the bottom of the ribs.

That being said, I do similar rolling/accupressure with a tennis ball on some parts of my lower back. Generally the muscles parallel to the spine, and the cener point of each side where the glute muscles branch from, at the top of your pelvis.

If in doubt, get a trained physiotherapist or massage therapist to show you which areas are ok.
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 01:53 PM  
rheash92

Bumping because I would also like to know especially of any books or follow along workouts. Thanks!
rheash92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 05:36 PM  
BunnyHop

The only foam rolling I do is the sort with a MELT Method soft foam roller. They do have dvds.
Old 02-02-18, 10:23 PM  
nuttymom

I foam roll my: lats, glutes, it band, hamstrings, calves, quads...I think that's it? I've never tried bis or tris, seems like it would be awkward at best and not helpful. I use a lacrosse ball or 2 for my neck and shoulders, and feet.
nuttymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-18, 12:00 AM  
Vantreesta

For my lower back I use a squishy ball (like Barre3 or Coregeous) but not my foam roller. I also use it for my bad hip when it is really hurting. I use YTU balls for my upper and mid-back. I use my harder roller for my hams, quads and calves and my soft roller for my shins.

I really like using P90X2 Recovery+Mobility if I want to use a DVD to follow. Also Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix has a short foam rolling segment (and beautiful scenery).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote