Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-19-19, 08:01 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vannie: Duck Donuts are mainly a mid-Atlantic thing, but they're rapidly expanding. They started at the beach in Duck, NC, and then franchised to other places in the Outer Banks, then went up and down the coast. Now there's one near where I live in VA and even one near my parents in Pittsburgh.

Gail: Work has slowed down, at least temporarily. Last I heard the new person accepted the offer (lots of HR drama since she's already within the agency but is changing classifications), so hopefully she can start soon.

Pratima: I hope DH is okay as the treatments end. 30 days of Burn sounds great!

I'm moving DD in for her second year at Pitt today, so that's my workout. Move-in is crazy there since the campus is all city streets. She's on a lower floor in a much smaller dorm this year, but there's only 1 elevator for the big stuff. The 10K I'm doing next month runs right past her dorm, but she already told me she won't get up that early to watch.

Have a good week!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 09:10 AM  
Runninggirl

Pratima - did you get it worked out so you can stay at the meeting this week?

Alison - good luck - I do not miss those heavy lifting days ! There is a great 10k that ran right by my daughter's campus and I was sad that I only got to do it one year while she was there - she and her girlfriends did manage to get up and make it out to cheer me on for that one time. Glad that help is on the way - once the bureaucracy settles down !

Vannie - what a great way to celebrate Sandy's birthday. I hope you can figure out a way to pare down your lists and goals and feel successful as you are already doing many things on your lists! Let's celebrate the wins ! Glad your hip didn't hurt during Ren Fest! And yes, I am sort of viewing all the changes as an adventure - I like meeting new people. I saw my old track coach at the race and he is doing great in his new position and it will translate into a lot of good for the ATL running community

Me - Saturday BOMF volunteered at a Track Club race. It is a great race because it start with the USATF Masters National race, then the 5k race, then the police cadets in training, then a 1 miler for ages 5-14 and a 50 yard dash for the little ones. This is what I love about our running community - the guy that won the 5k then came over to the 1 mile race and shepherded the little ones for the mile. After the big races, my place was at the 50 yard dash - so adorable to watch them run, walk, cry, laugh, get distracted, run to their parents, run somewhere else off course and eventually make it to the end. Met up with 2 friends at noon who are training for Chicago who needed to get their run in - and yes, it was just a little hot and humid. I only had 10 and 10 we ran by where we started and everyone decided to stop - they both got in the rest of their miles later in the day.
Sunday - 6 mile run and I started what I thought was the down week in X3 but first up was Isometrics - my legs are still talking about that to me today.
Monday - 3 miles with BOMF - ran with a teammate who is doing the relay Saturday but hadn't run 3 yet so I ran the course with him - so much fun to watch him grow and take the next steps. Then did Dynamix - was so happy to see that was next!
Runninggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 10:11 AM  
Vantreesta

Gail, I'm looking at changing up my goals for Sept. Right now I have bedtime at 11, get up at 6:30 on weekdays (plus others). My goals challenge usually has like 20 goals. I pared down to 9 for Aug but still not doing great with them. I'm considering these:

Bedtime--no set time when Twins have night games, just go as soon as manager Rocco is finished talking on post-game show; on nights where they had a day game or day off, in bed at 11:00
Get up 8 hours after going to bed
No internet after 9:30 PM
No junk food after 10 PM and turn overhead lights off
Foam roll/ball massage after every run
Train dogs 5x a week
At least 20 min of housework every weekday

I have some plans I want to implement but I feel like my biggest problem is still sleep so maybe I should try to actually tackle it for a change. I know they say you should go to bed and get up at the same time every day but I have to be realistic. I'm not going to bed before the game is over so maybe I should just start with trying to get 8 hours of sleep, regardless of how much the time shifts. We'll see.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-19, 10:57 PM  
Vantreesta

Tonight I ran 5k, trying to run it as a race. I actually pushed myself for a change and felt good about it. Hoping I can cut another minute off my time on Saturday but we'll see. My average pace on Friday was 10:52 for 5k and tonight it was 10:01! Did my own stretch and ball massage on left hip while I watched baseball.

Alison, this is hard to believe but I've never even had Dunkin' Donuts, I don't think! I'm glad work has slowed down some for you. Praying everything works out with the new girl and she starts soon.

Gail, I'm happy to help Sandy celebrate! For her 50th we did a mud run. I really admire your positive outlook on change. My brother had to give me an attitude adjustment today bc I was complaining about summer and was all crabby and wouldn't run this morning. In this case I WANT a change! But after his comments I decided to recommit myself to not letting the sun and heat bully me or ruin my day!

Pratima, hope all is going well there.

I miss Daphne, Kelly and Elizabeth.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 08-20-19, 11:11 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, that's a lot of goals. I don't know if having that many that would help me or hurt me. Maybe add one per week? My MRTT chapter has a monthly challenge (which is also more of a daily check-in opportunity) and this month's is staying healthy while training, basically. My co-leader posts something each day (e.g. tips on recovery, good stretches for runners, etc.) and everyone checks in with their workout and/or commenting on the topic for that day. Your goals are along those lines.

That's a really good 5K time! I've been struggling to get under 10:30 for a while.

Gail, I've been giving DS lots of hugs! He seems so mature sometimes but really is just a little guy and I think you're better at seeing that than me. I really should do Dynamix. DH is painting the workout room and I can barely go in there, but I could get the DVD and bring it in my office or something. How long are you planning to stick with P90X3?

Alison, I saw DD got moved in. My best friend moved her oldest in for his first year and only stayed a couple of hours! My parents stayed a couple of days with me, we had to buy some stuff since I went to college so far away. Kids are so different these days! I really hope the new person starts soon!

The meeting--I have my dates all mixed up and August is longer than I think it is! It's actually the week of Labor Day. Today is DH's LAST radiation session (he finished chemo last week) which means he has 2 weeks until my meeting and I am planning to stay at the hotel. But then no Burn! And it's near Tempe Town Lake but I don't think quite close enough to do a morning run there.

I feel weird about work right now. I like the new supervisor as a person but her work stuff is driving me bonkers. I feel like she has a million ideas going in a million directions, yet I'm sitting here doing the same things. And then feeling like I'm doing them wrong because she hasn't decided how to change the course development process. She has changed other things--admissions and financial aid--but it's just weird.

I'm committed to Burn--signed up for a membership and am planning on going 6x a week until that meeting. I had a body composition analysis using a Styku machine. One of my MRTT members arranged for it for $15 at a local country club. It was very interesting and I may go have another in 3 months to see if anything changes.

Not gonna lie, pretty much every day is crazy. I'm up early, driving the kids everywhere, and then even on weekends really busy. I had Thursday off and got a massage and had lunch with a friend but then lots of driving too! Went ice skating Saturday (some pictures on Instagram) and then to a Burn ladies' night out with a Pound class and dinner. I felt bad though because I was gone 4 hours and when I came back, DH looked worn out and the kids did NOT want to go to bed. But I made them.

OK, so apparently I'm half frantic and half exhausted. This too shall pass!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-19, 11:13 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Gail, I just wanted to add, my DD started out with those 50 yard dashes! She was 3.5 years old her first time and never did cry or run to me or anything. She just took off! And then didn't run for a while in between but can easily do 5K now. Your description of the race reminded me of her.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Old 08-21-19, 02:15 PM  
Vantreesta

6 mile run this morning to finish out wk12 of the 10k trainer (finally). Told myself I could take it easy today, still did 3:1 intervals but didn't push for speed. Added a little over a minute to my cooldown walk to hit 6. For wk12 I really only used the app for the total time since I didn't follow the prescribed intervals on it. Took a quick shower before the Twins game started and then did YFR from memory plus extra for hips and upper body. I dozed off on my mat after I finished. Oops.

Pratima, thanks! I was surprised at my time given I was doing 3:1 intervals. Today was definitely slower but also almost twice as long. I always have a lot of goals bc I have an inability to prioritize. Your MRTT chapter sounds nice. I hope your new supervisor is just over-eager right now and will settle in and down so things feel less up in the air for you.

Old 08-23-19, 12:55 PM  
Vantreesta

I did Eoin's Yoga for Happiness-The Quickie this morning. It was so nice and calming! I really need more yoga in my life

Old 08-24-19, 02:00 PM  
Vantreesta

Awesome way to celebrate Sandy's birthday today! We could not have asked for more perfect weather!

My average pace was 9:24 and I felt fantastic the whole time. Running has never felt so easy! The disappointing part is that my 26:13 time was not actually a PR bc the course was short. I'm sure they said it was a certified 5k but my GPS said 2.79 mi and another lady's said 2.83 and a guy who placed in his AG said his also measured short. I used the race calculator thing and for 5k at that pace (which I could have maintained for that little farther bc I finished really strong) would have beat my PR by like 15 seconds! I did actually finish 4th of 19 in my age group, which blew me away. The top 3 all finished in 22:xx. Now I want to do a 5k soon while I'm feeling so high so I can for real beat my PR!

Old 08-24-19, 04:36 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta that's awesome! Bummer about the short course. I feel like weather makes a HUGD difference. Does your performance at the race affect the goals you had in mind at all?

My supervisor got a little worse in a way. She did a videocall with me Wednesday to tell me she's posting a position that on paper I seem qualified for but she didn't say she was promoting me to it or that I should apply. Granted i don't want to move and right now the position is based on Tucson, but when the person is hired, I'll report to them and their job is to basically improve what I'm already doing.

Thursday was rough. I won't even go into the details, but I was so glad I made it through the day. DH's treatment is over but his throat was really bothering him and he refused to go to the doctor Wednesday. Anyway, I don't have anything planned this weekend other than meeting my dad and grandma for dinner tonight (with the kids, no DH). Cross your finger it goes well!

I also did grocery delivery for the first time and my best friend from high school (she lives about 45 minutes north of me) is supposed to stop by tomorrow afternoon with wine and snacks.

I ran today! Meant to be on the road by 6 but didn't make it out until 6:15. It still wasn't too warm (early 80s) and there was lots of shade so I was fine. I did a lot of walking and managed a 5K. I'm still loving the bootcamps but feel like the core days don't do much for me. I think on those days I will run instead.