Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-20-19, 06:53 AM  
killoffsonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
On my to read list!

It drives me crazy what the dieticians and nutritionists recommend. There is so much research regarding sugar and grains and they continue to allow things like angelfood cake, Ensure, sugar free products, and bread.

There is so much out there...readily available....information galore. Research and be your own health care advocate. The cynical part of me knows the healthcare systems don't have your best interests in mind.
Jackie I definitely agree with you on this. If I were told to see a dietician I'd probably turn and walk the other way. We have to be our own advocate.
Old 07-20-19, 07:26 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by killoffsonny View Post
Jackie I definitely agree with you on this. If I were told to see a dietician I'd probably turn and walk the other way. We have to be our own advocate.
The dietitian I went to for a year actually recently gave up her official title because she didn’t want to be associated with others who were all trained in and still recommend “traditional” nutrition. I also switched to a functional medicine physician that she recommended. One of his specialties is Type 2 diabetes and preventing it. It’s refreshing to have a doctor that I don’t have to question because I agree with everything he believes in. When my hubby was diagnosed with T2, I went to an appointment with him ready to question his diabetes educator and was pleasantly surprised when she didn’t recommend the old diabetes diet. Whew!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-19, 09:03 AM  
prettyinpink

I agree. At the doctor’s office, I was looking at some recipes in the magazines put out by the American Diabetes Association. They look just like any Standard American recipes you could find in any women’s magazine. Not many people are going to lose serious weight or lower their blood sugars long-term eating like that.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-19, 09:51 AM  
Betty Boop

$2.99 sounds good to me, especially with 90% 5-star reviews.

I checked our library -- all books including ebooks are in use :-(

A question: I have a cousin who has had Type 2 diabetes for years and takes medication. She says she doesn't drink coffee but is 'hooked' on diet soda as her breakfast drink. And I suspect she also drinks it during the day. Has anyone with a/tendency to Type 2 had any experience with cutting out cola or other fizzy drinks?
Old 07-20-19, 10:32 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Okay I'm going to be really stupid but I honestly don't know. What are the indicators for a "pre-diabetes" diagnosis? Is it the fasting glucose level alone or are there are things or test results that factor into it? Thanks
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-19, 11:09 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Glucose is only your blood sugar level at that moment. a1c tells you your blood sugar average for the past 3 months. That’s what’s used to determine pre-diabetes and diabetes.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-19, 11:43 AM  
killoffsonny

Joni O its good to know that there are practitioners out there who are not following the SAD.
Old 07-20-19, 01:18 PM  
KayB
VF Supporter

Thank you, gladgirl. I just downloaded the book!
KayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-19, 10:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Glucose is only your blood sugar level at that moment. a1c tells you your blood sugar average for the past 3 months. That’s what’s used to determine pre-diabetes and diabetes.
Thanks so much, Joni. I first heard of a1c through a drug ad and knew it was related to sugar level somehow but didn't know how. I've never had my a1c checked and neither has my DH. Neither of us has any family history of diabetes and none of the other "warning" signs so maybe that's why? Or is it something that is only done at a certain age? Guess each of us should ask our doctor.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-19, 07:17 AM  
Rhonda

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Thanks so much, Joni. I first heard of a1c through a drug ad and knew it was related to sugar level somehow but didn't know how. I've never had my a1c checked and neither has my DH. Neither of us has any family history of diabetes and none of the other "warning" signs so maybe that's why? Or is it something that is only done at a certain age? Guess each of us should ask our doctor.
This was my first a1c test. Diabetes doesn't run in my family but I am over 50, closing in on 53 next month and it was just something my doctor decided to do. Glad she did but I do have to clean up my diet a bit. We eat pretty healthy but guess there is room for improvement.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diabetes, pre-diabetes