Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-25-19, 09:41 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Barefoot & On the Mat, 8/25 - 8/31; "August is like the Sunday of summer."

"August is like the Sunday of summer."
~unknown

I thought I would start us off this week since I didn't post yesterday (DH and I took a day trip); I figured that everyone could find something to like in this quote! It seems perfect for me because after having most Mondays off for several months, I'm finally back to a normal schedule, working a full 5-day week this week! Of course, Labor Day next weekend temporarily gives me my 3-day weekend back.

Welcome to our checkin!!!
We are a diverse group of "barefoot" exercisers - that includes yoga, Pilates, barre, Classical Stretch/Essentrices, kettlebells, or any other fitness activities that YOU choose to do barefoot. We vary between being more quiet and very chatty, and we always love to have new people chime in. There are no rules for joining us - you can post your workouts or not. We'd love to hear from you!

I haven't exercised for today yet, so I'll be back later this afternoon for my weekly workouts post.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 12:15 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

Beth: Thanks for starting us off!

We are on the home stretch of August and thank goodness for that.

I'm not going to post last week, although I actually started off pretty well. I worked out at least 30 minutes on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Friday started out well with a 2-mile outdoor walk, but after that I just ran out of steam and didn't do a workout Friday or Saturday.

I was out casually walking earlier this morning -- and came home sweaty. Hate that! Can't wait for cooler fall weather.

Waving to all -- be back later with today's workout!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 01:55 PM  
Garrie A.

Beth: Thank you for starting our week!

Sandra: I feel you on the August heat!

Paine: Once I complete CLX I'm wanting to work through my Jari Love workouts. Yes, it's making me strong. I've seen the most strength increases during the past month (Push), since there are no combo exercises and you lift as heavy as you can (with good form and a slow pace), hitting muscle failure in 6 to 8 reps. I still have a little trouble holding onto the heavy dumbbells (especially for leg work). But my legs and glutes definitely feel it too. For the final phase, the weights are lighter since a lot of the exercises engage your core, plus you go back to hitting failure in 10 to 12 reps.

Here was last week for me:

Sunday:
CLX Push Circuit 3

Monday:
TAUGHT Functionally Fit and Cardio classes
Helped out with Fit for Life

Tuesday:
No workout (planned rest day)

Wednesday:
CLX Push Circuit 1

Thursday:
30 minute walk after work

Friday:
CLX Push Circuit 2

Saturday (FRANKENWORKOUT ALERT!)
Shape Bikini Body Camp, Redefining: Interval Cardio Sculpt (used as a sub for CLX Burn Intervals)
Shape Bikini Body Camp, Transforming: Potpourri (just the kickboxing section, to make the workout about the same length as Burn Intervals)
CLX Extreme Abs
Stretched on my own

This afternoon I did CLX Push Circuit 3 (aka The One With Chalene's Crazy Lifting Boots), for the last time. On Wednesday I begin the final phase of CLX, Lean. I'm looking forward to the new challenges, but will miss the Push Circuits (as they've been my favorites).

This week will finally slow down at the bookstore, as most students have already gotten their books. But, some instructors have accidentally ordered the wrong ones and we have had to ship some back. Also, I expect some will be dropping classes like flies. Of the three Fall rushes I've worked, this one has been the craziest.

I'll be back to chat later. Waves to all!
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Retro Rotation!!

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 02:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Voight Full Body Stretch (Slow Stretch practice)

Voight's Slow Stretch is such a lovely relaxing stretch. It's just what I needed today because I'm really sore from Jari.

Beth, thank you for starting us!

Garrie, a weighted belt or weighted vest might help you during leg work so you don't have to hold weights with your hands.
At one time I had a lot of Jari DVDs but I only kept her original dvd, Ripped & Chiseled and Slim & Lean.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 03:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Back to check in!

Monday
TAUGHT yoga to Geneseo Field Hockey team
30MTF Build & Burn - Core Cardio
Essentrics Strength in Motion - Core & Legs

Tuesday
in office: Mature Over 50 (YT) - 5m Arms (cyana's recommendation--will have to go back and do this one again!)
30MTF Build & Burn - Upper Body Supersets
Essentrics Strength in Motion - Full Body

Wednesday
TAUGHT yoga to Geneseo Field Hockey team
30MTF Build & Burn - Trim & Tone Intervals, Cardio Only premix
Power Yoga for Happiness 2 - Sunset Edition

Thursday
in office: Lee Holden QiGong mini (online); DoYouYoga (YT) - Juicy Yoga Twists
TAUGHT yoga at studio
30MTF Build & Burn - Trim & Tone Intervals, Weights Only premix

Friday
Yoga/Pilates for Anybody (new) - Warm-up
30MTF Build & Burn - Lower Body Tabata
Essentrics Stretch in Motion - Hips & Hamstrings

Saturday
Essentrics Stretch in Motion - Shoulders, Upper Back, & Hamstrings
LOTS of walking on day trip to Fort Niagara (10k+)

Sunday
Lee Holden QiGong mini (online)
30MTF Body Design - Cardio Bootcamp
Pilates/Yoga for Anybody - Warm-up; Strength & Endurance Focus

I think this coming week I am going to do another round of Build & Burn, sticking with a pretty similar schedule except starting with the KB/KB workout (which I didn't get to last week) instead of cardio. For stretch, I thought I would work in Essentrics Full Body and perhaps some of Katy Bowman's stuff.

The battery on my HRM gave out today; must try to pick one up on my lunch hour tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-25-19, 03:48 PM  
cyana

Saturday:
YT LWR - 10 Minute HIIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vn3_e9Ka7ls
YT Quick 11 Minute Chakra Tune-up with Himalayan singing bowls - temple sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qhh2VF1Oz4
YT Crystal Bowl 15 minute chakra meditation - temple sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qhh...rt_radio=1&t=7
YT Sound Healing with Crystal Bowls - Michelle Berc/heart alchemy yoga - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw1a-pZ7Ua4
Holden - 5 Day Qi Gong Jumpstart Challenge - Day 3

Sunday:
YT LWR - 7 Minute Fat Burning Arms/Abs/Thighs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRWsGRoOy5Y (this is the one I've done frequently)
YT LWR - Arm Work-Out for Women - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4L__45XVtE
YT - Jessica Smith - 20 Minute Cardio Sculpting/Total Body Fat Burning - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKcBqsGI1Z0
YT - Yoga Su - Gentle Yoga, Seated Twists for Spinal Health - 12 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLzhRmhGTJM
YT Meditation Root Chakra with Tibetan singing bowls 11 minutes - temple sounds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V0IMYlYVZQ
YT Crystal Singing Bowls - Full Chakra Set Meditation - Ruby True - 22 minutes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSlK8ZMcjWo
YT 15 Minute All Chakra Tuning, Meditation and Balancing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdyg8jt0OQU

I've been playing around with listening to various types of meditations - particularly those using singing bowls. I'm in sound bath withdrawal and hope the yoga studio will be hosting one before too much longer. I've been sitting with a big decision and have found listening to the meditations to be helpful. And even though I know work will be beyond crazy when I get back tomorrow, I don't feel any stress about it.

Beth - I'll definitely be doing the 5 minute arms video again at some point and trying some of her other short videos - those will be great for Stealth Fitness breaks. Which HRM do you have? I remember you mentioning getting one several years ago. I'd like to replace my old Polar Beat which came over on the Mayflower and I literally wore it until it fell apart. I don't need/want all the fancy bells and whistles. I finally picked up a replacement battery for my old pedometer this past week - now I need to find the little tool that you use to unscrew the back and change the battery and get it re-calibrated.

Sandra - We had a slight break in the heat today - finally - but I'm sure August isn't ready to give it up just yet!

Garrie - I've been thinking about doing some Jari work-outs, too. Hopefully things will calm down at the bookstore this week - and thankfully you weren't new for all the craziness!

Paine - KV is great with stretching, isn't she?

Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 04:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

cyana, I think I have a Polar F16? I did get a new one a few years back and like it a lot better than my cheap old one. You definitely had Frankenworkouts these past 2 days! Is your big decision work-related (if you can say)? I do find that meditation helps me to settle my thoughts a bit.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 08-25-19, 04:20 PM  
cyana

Beth - The decision is work-related, but that's about all I can say right now. My head is in a much better place after doing my Meditation Immersion Tour.

DH and I binge-watched a couple of seasons of Doc Martin that were on Acorn TV (now that we've discovered we can get access to Acorn through our library system - we were previously able to only see the season that were on Netflix). I'd love to visit the area where it is filmed - Port Isaac in Cornwall. I've been to London, but would love to go back sometime and see more of the country. London was great with SO much to do.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-19, 09:29 PM  
JustSandra

Hello again!

Today's Workout: The Upper Body routine from Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3 set.

Cyana: Looking forward to hearing about your big decision when you are able to share! No heat break here yet (today was 102), but with the shortening days I know it will come soon.

Garrie: That's annoying about having to ship books back! Handling quantities of books can be really hard on the hands.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-19, 03:04 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Wow, the first day of classes here has started with a bang!

I have a problem only vidiots could appreciate. I mentioned that I needed a new battery for my HRM - well, I was hoping to get one at lunch today but didn't have time, and I can't stop after work either. So now I'm thinking about postponing my cardio workout today for fear that it won't "count"!

Ridiculous, I know...

Follow me @YogiBethC