Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-14-15, 01:26 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Question Quad building exercises that are easy on the knees?

I have just been diagnosed with a small tear in my right medial meniscus. I don't need surgery at this point. It really doesn't hurt, oddly enough. I do have some arthritis in both knees.

I can do glute bridges for my butt, dead-lifts for my hamstrings and all kinds of floor adductor, abductor and quad lifts. The ortho doctor said to limit the depth of squats and lunges.

Some books recommend wall-sits. Others say wall-sits are bad. I would really like to add more muscle to my legs and thighs without bothering my knees.

Yes, ladies, I WANT TO BULK UP.

It's for my bones and to help my knees.

Any suggestions?

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 02:11 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

First thing that comes to mind is Margaret Richard's signature front leg lifts, pulses and leg rotations which fry my quads, and I don't even put a weight on my leg.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 02:11 PM  
marya

In Skeletal Fitness Mirabai Holland does knee-friendly standing quad/glute exercises using a wall for support. (Mirabai wears ankle weights.)

My all-time fave thigh exercise is in Chantal Donnelly's Strong Knees--I think you've mentioned that you have this DVD. It's the first exercise, sitting on the mat, leg raises with foot turned out. I sometimes do a no turnout variation, too, in a chair, with a weight resting on top of my thigh, to work the muscle from a slightly different angle. Either way, no knee stress whatsoever!
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 02:28 PM  
SueT

Pat58, which Margaret Richard workouts have the best thigh work, would you say?

Thanks,
Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 02:35 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
First thing that comes to mind is Margaret Richard's signature front leg lifts, pulses and leg rotations which fry my quads, and I don't even put a weight on my leg.
I have been doing these (Getting Better) for a few years and have worked up to 6lb thigh weights. Yup, she fries the legs for sure.

I'd like to find another exercise where I can do heavy weight/low reps without bothering my knees.

I just read in an article the quarter-depth squats work the quads more.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 04:40 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

That's right, you use GB regularly - I don't blame you for seeking out an alternative exercise. I'm sorry to hear of your tear - best wishes with it.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 04:44 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sorry you a have a tear Alta. MR's front leg raise is what my ortho doc told me to do. Make sure to contract the quad and not just lift the leg. I worked up to 15 pound ankle weights before my knee replacement on that exercise alone. I'd never use that much weight for side lying.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 04:54 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Before I had leg weights, I used to sit on a high counter and bend and straighten my legs with a paint can hanging from my ankle. I'm pretty sure if you went to physical therapy, you'd lift your leg on some kind of contraption similar to this exercise. The main thing is the minute you feel a twinge in your knee, back off on the weight.

If you can go up stairs holding weights, and without feeling pain, that might also work.
Old 07-14-15, 05:29 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Jane - My ex-neighbor put her iron on her foot. They might do your paint can exercise with an ankle weight after the meniscus is healed but not sure about doing that with a tear. Knee extensions are usually contraindicated.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-15, 06:03 PM  
videofit

I need to build up my thighs and this is a good reminder to me to double up my ankle weights when I do Maggie's quad work. I need to challenge myself.

Tags
meniscus tear, muscle building, quads