Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-13, 01:14 PM  
Aurora C.

Question Advice on Combining Slim Training w/Lifting Heavy?

Hi Everyone! I've had good results with the Slim Series in the past but I also got burnt out on it. I've more recently been lifting heavy at the gym (360 lbs on the leg press!), which I resisted for a long time because I tend to bulk easily. I found I liked what Slim Series did for my upper body, but it slimmed my lower body & narrowed my hips a little too much. Conversely, I'm loving what heavy weights at the gym is doing for my lower body but my upper body is looking rather like She-Hulk again! I'm only 5' 2", & well endowed in the bust department, too much bulk on my upper body gives me a boxy look, that is just not a look I like on me!

I was doing JNL Fusion paired with heavy lifting, to save on time, but after several months, I'm still not really getting the results I want. I was wondering if anyone here has tried a Slim Series rotation modified/supplemented with some heavy resistance training, how that might go, & if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve the lean yet curvy look I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

All the Best,
Aurora
Aurora C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 09:18 AM  
Aurora C.

153 views & not one reply!?! Wow, I must be the only one with a body that's so divided into how it responds to exercise! ...I feel a bit like a circus sideshow freak now!
Old 11-20-13, 09:40 AM  
cherimac

I wish I could help. I think using Shape it Up would be easier to break up for you since she does upper/lower/abs in sets. The other workouts seem to be more lower and upper mixed together. Do you have Slim Series Express Cardio Sculpt? Lots of people don't like it because it felt rushed BUT it is only upper body.
Old 11-20-13, 09:41 AM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Hi Aurora! I don't have any advice, but wanted to let you know that I am watching this thread for replies. I've always loved the leg press, but have typically avoided it because my thighs are impossible to slim...I've always been pretty muscular in the thighs and was afraid of bulking. I'm also a fan of slim training. So, you may have given me a new routine for myself... But still watching for replies to this thread!
Old 11-20-13, 09:44 AM  
Ann1964

I was just typed a huge reply only to be told I needed to refresh the page and log back on!

I am 5'2 , 34D boobs, and leaner on bottom.
I don't lift heavy, but I know bodyweight and kettlebells consistently lean me out in UB. When I was trying to do a push up /plank challenge my upper body was looking so much leaner. Hmmmm, may have to do again. Not sure why I stopped.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 09:48 AM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann1964 View Post
We are twins!

Quote:
I don't lift heavy, but I know bodyweight and kettlebells consistently lean me out in UB. When I was trying to do a push up /plank challenge my upper body was looking so much leaner. Hmmmm, may have to do again. Not sure why I stopped.
Interesting. I've never done kettlebells but do like how bodyweight stuff makes my UB look.
Old 11-20-13, 09:52 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

The Slim Series rotation was purposely created to create a "slight overtraining" effect, so this could have been the reason why your lower body slimmed down too much for your liking.

Cheri is right. The workouts are easy to break in half. I would skip the lower body work on the floor. Choose two Slim Series workouts per week, and do one heavy leg workout per week. Don't do any upper body work at the gym.

Or, if you want more upper body work to slim your upper body down, do the Slim Series workouts maybe on, Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday, and leg work on Friday. .
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 02:14 PM  
Aurora C.

Thanks for not letting me feel like a circus sideshow freak for too long, I knew y'all wouldn't let me down ...it's funny because I do have that extra bit of fat on my inner thighs that chafes painfully when I run in hot weather...& I'm happy to entertain the thought of losing it through floor-work, but the slim training seemed to thin my outer thighs, hips & buttocks too much & not too much difference on my inner thighs. I also found when I was doing Leah Sarago's upper body & a lot of power yoga that my upper body, although strong & solid, still looked more linebacker than ballerina! I know I have built some solid muscle that is covered by a layer of stubborn fat, but I'm not overweight & yet because of the way I'm built I look stocky in clothes...& I much prefer to have the figure of Betty Rubble than Barney Rubble.

I think I'm going to attempt a rotation that includes slim training & heavy lower body work & see how that goes...maybe add on a short arm segment like Cardio Barre upper body bonus, TA, Ballet Beautiful, or Squeeze or something - am I missing any of the upper arm debulkers?

...& then maybe add back in some JNL Fusion. Rotations kind of baffle my mind, it's hard to know what's balanced...my tendency is toward overkill. I welcome input on how to build the perfect rotation.
Old 11-20-13, 03:00 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
Hi Aurora! I don't have any advice, but wanted to let you know that I am watching this thread for replies. I've always loved the leg press, but have typically avoided it because my thighs are impossible to slim...I've always been pretty muscular in the thighs and was afraid of bulking. I'm also a fan of slim training. So, you may have given me a new routine for myself... But still watching for replies to this thread!
I am with you on this one. I love the leg press but if I do it too much, I won't be able to put my jeans on. What has kept my thighs slim, is spinning, kickboxing. Even when I do squats or lunges it is without the weight, if there is any weight it is LOW. But when I was a gym rat, I could do the leg press all day LONG. A great piece of equipment but it ramped up my thighs that I had to let it go.
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-13, 03:04 PM  
icebergslim

Quote:
I was just typed a huge reply only to be told I needed to refresh the page and log back on!

I keep telling my gf's that any body weight workout with pushups, planks will lean your upper body like nothing else. Now add any weighted exercises that will put the definition on you. I still have gf's that believe lifting ANY weight will bulk them up. How can you have conversations with ppl that don't understand how fitness works!!!!
icebergslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy lifting, heavy weight training, heavy weights, slim series, slim training rotation