Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-24-12, 02:39 PM  
suegy3

For those that have more than one or have tried different types of suspension trainers, which do you prefer? The TRX, Rip 60 or Jungle Gym or something else?
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-12, 11:57 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by suegy3 View Post
I would like a suspension trainer but I don't have anywhere to hook it. I thought about getting the ceiling mount that TRX sells but I'm not sure if I'd really do the workouts. There are lots of new suspension systems these days. I heard that it's a really good workout..
I have a TRX suspended from the ceiling in my gym. My husband made something a bit more beefy then their ceiling mount (but he always goes a bit over-board). Anyway, I have all of TRX's workouts and they are not the most fun. Not that there is a dread factor, but they are so boring and not well done in some instances, such as its outdoors and you the wind is too loud, or it hard to hear. On some there is way too much instruction so they are more tutorial then a workout. I use TRX to my own music, and its a very good workout, but you have to want to do it. I wish there were great workouts to coincide with the TRX. Rocking music, etc., and a good setting and production.
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 04:08 PM  
edensmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I also like the Rip:60 workouts. I bought them from a Ya-Ya. I can do the rotating moves since I have a Jungle Gym. But I can easily do something else and there are usually only two of those type of exercises per workout.
I spotted Rip 60 at Target a few days ago, then again this a.m. at Walmart...I was never interested before but all of a sudden I really want this thing. Anyone else use these dvds? I am thinking I would mount from the ceiling as my DH is a general contractor and real handy guy . Does anyone suspend from the ceiling?
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 04:58 PM  
momof10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
I have a TRX suspended from the ceiling in my gym. My husband made something a bit more beefy then their ceiling mount (but he always goes a bit over-board). Anyway, I have all of TRX's workouts and they are not the most fun. Not that there is a dread factor, but they are so boring and not well done in some instances, such as its outdoors and you the wind is too loud, or it hard to hear. On some there is way too much instruction so they are more tutorial then a workout. I use TRX to my own music, and its a very good workout, but you have to want to do it. I wish there were great workouts to coincide with the TRX. Rocking music, etc., and a good setting and production.
I agree that the DVDs cow the TRX are boring. They seem to be more of a tutorial type than I like. You do have to make yourself do them. They have great ideas, but the workouts themselves are not fun, especially for the price. Now, the Rip60 DVDs are geared to be fun. I love those workouts. There is a class with an instructor and he does intervals with the Rip60 and he will do some kettle bells and jumping jacks, etc. They are really awesome workouts. They are well worth their money.

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 06:04 PM  
DirtDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post
I agree that the DVDs cow the TRX are boring. They seem to be more of a tutorial type than I like. You do have to make yourself do them. They have great ideas, but the workouts themselves are not fun, especially for the price. Now, the Rip60 DVDs are geared to be fun. I love those workouts. There is a class with an instructor and he does intervals with the Rip60 and he will do some kettle bells and jumping jacks, etc. They are really awesome workouts. They are well worth their money.

Cheryl
Hey thanks, I'll check out those workouts!
DirtDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 10:49 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDiva View Post
Man, it just goes to show how different people are when it comes to what they want from a workout. I *love* the TRX Strength workout. I don't need specific music, I just want a workout that feels effective for building strength. This one does that for me. I'm not bored when I'm working hard.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-12, 11:23 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly33 View Post
Man, it just goes to show how different people are when it comes to what they want from a workout. I *love* the TRX Strength workout. I don't need specific music, I just want a workout that feels effective for building strength. This one does that for me. I'm not bored when I'm working hard.
x 2 - I didn't want to be the first to say it!

I appreciate the extra coaching, because using the TRX is a quite specific form of exercise and small changes, like the position of your feet, can make a big difference.

Also, remember that, as part of the "Essentials" set, TRX Strength is designed for TRX novices, who are likely to need the additional instruction. When I bought my TRX, I got three free downloads, Endurance Circuit, Metabolic Blast, and Brian Stann Workout. I have only previewed these, but am looking forward to doing them. I noticed on the preview that there is far less instruction, because they have been designed for more advanced TRX users.

I enjoy the outdoor settings, and while I've noticed the wind detracting from the sound quality, it has never bothered me.
Old 02-26-12, 07:16 AM  
bee1forfitness

I bought my TRX a couple of years ago, and I really, really like it. Since then many more suspension/suspension type trainers have come out. so I think it's a matter of what you want in a suspension trainer. When I bought mine there weren't so many choices out there for suspension trainer as there are now. The TRX was expensive, but I don't regret the money that I spent to get it, it is worth it to me.

I use mine indoors (anchored off of my pull-up station, which so far has worked excellent for me) and outdoors (anchoring off of tree branches, fences, or balconies) My trainer did come with a "door" anchor, but I've never used it. I find that it really challenges my muscle so differently than my Kbells, body-weight, dumbbell/barbells stuff and that's one reason I really like it. It's very powerful for the core and balance to. It's flexible...you can do cardio, strength training, balancing and stretching. One of the super pluses is the TRX is completely portable and light weight with no metal parts, so you can take it any where and not miss a workout !!!.

I only have 3 DVDS and 1 downloads, 2 of the DVDS are TRX/Kettlebell workouts taught by Pavel the 3rd DVD is the basic strength express workout, and the download is another strength workout. All made by the TRX people, I agreed with Kimberly33 and RedPanda, I like them all, in fact the TRX/Kettlebell workouts are film inside so there are no distracting outside noises. The others are filmed outside and yes there is sometimes wind noises, but for me it was no big deal. That being said I use my TRX mostly without the workout DVDS, but the DVDS are nice to have and are excellent context and production quality.
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 08:38 AM  
sciencelady

I've got many of the original TRX videos. I love the Flexibility DVD as their explanations and pacing slow me down to where I really get some benefit from the DVD. I also think their bootcamp style DVDs (Ropes and Straps and Cardio Circuit) move at a good clip so there's not a lot of down time with explanations - I sometimes sub kettlebell exercises for the jump rope segments. I like the Strength and the Team training one, but don't have the set-up to watch the DVD and get the best angles on the TRX at the same time - I do those from the booklet. Pavel likes to hear himself talk - so on those I just get going on the exercises while he talks. It's not an exciting DVD for me (only have the first one), but it was effective in really bringing up my TGU weights when used regularly.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 10:41 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof10 View Post

Cheryl
I've got the TRX and several of their DVDs and while I'm not one to care about music or production value I just can't get into these DVDs. I've done a live TRX class and the DVDs don't challenge me the way a live class did. I just don't reach for them and thus, my TRX just sits unused (though I love the exercises).

Now you've got me thinking Rip60 is the answer. I'll see if I can find these at Walmart or Target. Just wanted you to know you've been an enabler.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gymnastic rings, rip:60, suspension trainer, trx