Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-11, 06:57 AM  
kariev34

what is so magical about slim series

Ok, so I understand the concept behind SS (overtraining principle) and have read such great results thread on this. But couldn't you do this with any light weight high rep workout or is there some perfect sequence Debbie has created to make them so effective? I would love to love this series but I get so bored with them but I have never tried using them with my own music. So can anyone who has done a slim training rotation weigh in on why you think these are so beneficial compared to other high rep workouts.
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:41 AM  
JP44

Some reasons I think SS is unique, vs. say Jari Love:

Debbie includes so much standing ab work, people see great slimming results in their waist (not just their abs)

She includes a lot of focused outer thigh work (squat to side leg lift, squat to side kick/round house kick) so saddlebag/glutes get trimmed. (spot toning)

There's more of a prolonged cardio effect because she doesn't take many/any breaks during a workout. (I don't break a sweat during a P57 classic workout, but I do sweat during a SS workout.)

It's all in one, cardio & resistance training, upper, lower body, abs in nearly every workout so you don't have to do anything else to make a complete rotation.

She does floorwork in almost all of her SS workouts, which is great for thighs & glutes.

The workouts are long--58-78 minutes so you are burning more calories than over a 30 min. workout.

She uses many of the same moves (squats, lunges, kicks, punches) for lower body but weights are light or body weight only so you can do them 5 days a week.

She has a day of focused stretching to help recovery & improve flexibility. i think stretching improves muscular endurance capacity & strength potential (it's like Tony says yoga yields more strength)

Her ab work is varied & not super long so you don't build up your ab muscles, you pull them in.

She does a lot of upper & lower body moves so you get greater metabolic effect (better afterburn). Even if you aren't lifting weights w/ your upper body, mimicking weight motions (lateral raises, bicep curls), your blood is pumping harder than if your arms were stationary.

HTH.

Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:46 AM  
Keepfitgirl

I wish I hadn't opened this thread. I'd never thought of getting SS until I read your post, Joan!

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:48 AM  
Keepfitgirl

PS Is there a difference between Slim Series and Slim in 6 - are they two different series?

Thanks

Emma
Keepfitgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 08:15 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepfitgirl View Post
PS Is there a difference between Slim Series and Slim in 6 - are they two different series?

Thanks

Emma
They are two different series. Slim in 6 is supposedly to get you started, and then you move on to Slim Series, which are more advanced workouts.

I tried Slim in 6 for a while but the workouts ended up having a dread factor. The floor work was hurting my wrists so I had to modify and use my stability ball to support me. Then my knees started acting up and all the lunges (at her pace!) hurt...
I did the workouts alternating with p57 and some Firms for nearly 6 weeks. They are good, but became boring by the end.
I'm not a rotation person. I get bored if I have to do the same workout for days and days ( with Sin6 you are supposed to do the same workout for 1-2 weeks!), and I rarely go back to workouts that have a dread factor.

If you have sensitive knees or wrists, these may not be for you. One reason I really like barre is because it doesn't hurt my wrists or knees, so I can stick with it for longer
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 08:25 AM  
cherimac

I agree with Joan's post. However, I can never do a full rotation as BB describes it without getting worn down and sick~and I know there are others who have had the same thing happen. Many people, however, can do the rotation no problem.

Slim in 6 has some nice workouts that I throw into my SS rotations for a "break" so to speak.

I do like to do Slim Series rotations but I throw in some cardio and don't do Firm it Up as I think the other workouts contain enough lower body work for me anyway.
Old 10-03-11, 09:09 AM  
violingal3

What a timely thread! After bulking up with kettlebells, I was thinking these would be great to pull out and revisit as I haven't done these in forever!!! I still use Burn and Keep It up regularly, but it would be great to just shock my body and do a the slim training rotation for a few weeks. Whatever Debbie does, it works like a charm. Love this set, I will never part with it.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:16 AM  
macska
VF Supporter

I did the full rotation a few years ago and ended up with a partial tear in my rotator cuff that took well over a year to heal --partially. I think doing high reps shoulders, even with very light weights is a risky business.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:40 AM  
Cassy

I haven't done a rotation of Jari or SS or Tonique but I've tried them all.

I did look on the BB site and they do have a very high claim of what SS burns. However my burns from her workouts range from 228-309/hr.

Regarding the comparison to Jari - I think that applies to early Jari workouts. Like Slim and Lean I liked this one but burned less that 200/hr calories. Because with the newer workouts like bootcamp or revved my burn is a lot more than Slim Series. About 400/hr.

However with Slim series I like that she adds in some floor work, punches and standing abs that Jari doesn't do. SS also has more upper body work Tonique so I think it's more total body. But Tonique makes me sweat more. Tonique can be too repetitive sometimes. I agree it's better to use your own music with SS. It seems to me that she might have filmed the workouts with no music. She never seems on beat to me.

I think in BB land SS/Si6 is thought of as a great place to start. It is a hard workout but even some of my friends I know who are just starting back to exercise start with SS. So then they would get results.

Her workouts are all pretty similar which would get really boring if you did a whole rotation I bet.

But if you are already doing Jari/Tonique type work I don't think you'll see a huge difference. I do like SS but rotate her workouts with Jari, Tonique, Cathe and KCM. I don't think she has anything magic and the others have higher burns.
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 09:41 AM  
PhyllisG

I did the full rotation a few years ago and was so bored. I traded it right after finishing. I could not imagine ever doing it again.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debbie siebers, jari love, similar to slim series, slim in 6, slim series, slim series success