Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-27-11, 10:51 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Color Nook as tablet and question about rooting, not OT

After having my Color Nook since mother's day, I really want to recommend this to those looking for a cheap tablet. It doesn't meet the 100 dollars of the clearance HPs, but it does what most people need for a small tablet. I can put my workout downloads on the micro sd card and play my workouts on it. It also can stream youtube. However, I suggest shutting it down and restarting before you do this. And as a big bonus- you can read books! LOL.

It looks like Amazon will also be coming out with a Kindle tablet, but it sounds as though it is going to be more locked down than the nook or even the ipad. It will have it's own operating system that started with a version of android, but will be customized for amazon. So it is forked - meaning that in the long run, it will have it's own operating system and won't run other android stuff. Additionally, you won't be able to use your android apps that you bought elsewhere on this.

Currently the nook color can only run apps bought at its store too. However, the nook can be rooted down to the regular version of android. They made the Color nook so that you can boot it from the sd card- bottom line- you don't have to actually change the software on the nook itself.

And that leads me to my problem. I downloaded Cathe's STS Total Body, and it won't play on the nook because it's high def. (I'm not a fan of high def as I'm not a tv fan). So to play these I need to root the nook and put a app on it that plays the high def video. I'd also like to be able to read my kindle books as well as overdrive library books - without side loading.

Have you rooted? I'm not computer newbie, but the simple instructions do not sound all that simple. I'd like to be able to just do the root from the sd card and not actually mess with the actuall os. On the other hand, I would actually prefer to buy a card with the rooting software on it- I know you can buy cards from the Amazon marketplace put out by individual enterpenuers, not a real company. Any ideas on how to get one from a reliable source?
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 11:07 AM  
Season

Hi Lynn,
I find mobileread.com a great source of info of all things ereader. Try their forums section - it's an outstanding resource where the techies hang out.
Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 11:28 AM  
GotToBeFit

When I had the nook color I did root it. I was super scared when I did it too, but it wasn't bad. You can restore it back to factory condition if you don't want to keep it rooted. I had to do this to return it because I opted to purchase the elocity tablet.
Old 09-27-11, 12:23 PM  
roz

Rooted. Side loading.

I have no idea what these words mean.

But then again, for me, the canister vacuum is the height of technological achievement.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-11, 01:03 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Season View Post
Hi Lynn,
I find mobileread.com a great source of info of all things ereader. Try their forums section - it's an outstanding resource where the techies hang out.
Thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunatly, the nook rooting comments haven't been updated in quite a while. And no one there talks about buying the sd cards instead of doing it yourself. It is a great resource!
Old 09-27-11, 01:04 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotToBeFit View Post
When I had the nook color I did root it. I was super scared when I did it too, but it wasn't bad. You can restore it back to factory condition if you don't want to keep it rooted. I had to do this to return it because I opted to purchase the elocity tablet.
Which instructions did you use to root? thanks. Too late for a different tablet, I've had it for quite a while.
Old 09-27-11, 01:10 PM  
Getfit

I want to root mine and you can go to BN website on the forums and they walk you through rooting your Nook, I am still scared. Shoot, I will like to root my phone so I can start tethering and using my phone for internet service instead of paying the cable company but I have yet to do that either. I am so afraid I may brick my phone.
Old 09-27-11, 01:10 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
Rooted. Side loading.

I have no idea what these words mean.

But then again, for me, the canister vacuum is the height of technological achievement.
Side loading is when you hook up your tablet or ereader to the computer and transfer files from the computer to your ereader/tablet instead of doing it over wifi or 3g (phone service). On the original kindle and nooks, the micro usb slots are on the side. And now- i means something else altogether.

Rooting is when you bypass the overlay put on the device and go right down to the operating system. For example if you buy an android phone, the manufacturer puts it's own face (look and navigation) on it. They also include what is called bloatware- software you don't want that you can't take off of it. You can also root so you could use a phone with a different carrier. Apple actually tried to make rooting illegal- but it was ruled legal. It almost always voids your warranty though.

The good thing about the color nook rooting, is it's easily changed back (supposedly) so you can take it back to original form and maintain your warrantly.
Old 09-27-11, 01:14 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getfit View Post
I want to root mine and you can go to BN website on the forums and they walk you through rooting your Nook, I am still scared. Shoot, I will like to root my phone so I can start tethering and using my phone for internet service instead of paying the cable company but I have yet to do that either. I am so afraid I may brick my phone.
Getfit, I wouldn't root your phone. The phone companies have algorhythms to figure out who is using the phone to tether and are charging them tethering fees. I haven't heard of anyone fighting the fee, so no idea of the chances of winning that battle. It still might be cheaper to use your phone as the wifi hot spot than the cable company.
Old 09-27-11, 03:18 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnO View Post
Getfit, I wouldn't root your phone. The phone companies have algorhythms to figure out who is using the phone to tether and are charging them tethering fees. I haven't heard of anyone fighting the fee, so no idea of the chances of winning that battle. It still might be cheaper to use your phone as the wifi hot spot than the cable company.
Thanks, I might look into it .

Tags
nook