Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-06-08, 07:20 PM  
RedPanda

Squat myths

It's a myth that, when squatting, your knees shouldn't go past your toes.

It's also a myth that you should stop the squat when your thighs are parallel to the floor. Stopping halfway down actually creates a shearing force on your knee, which can lead to problems over time.

There are some articles posted in this thread which are very informative:

http://www.oxygenmag.net/showthread.php?t=36429
RedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 08:13 PM  
tigerbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy4ft9
This topic is interesting because I thought I had read somwhere, via a link from this forum, that it was actually better to go deep with squats, ala the squats with kettlebell training. I'll have to search around for that link and post it.

I'm now full force into kettlebell training and am hoping that the deep squats will help my lower body.

Edited to say I found the topic and the link -- it's from September of last year:

Link to topic: http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ht=deep+squats
Thanks for the link to that article. Interesting!!! You know, it's funny, but I have bad knees as my kneecap doesn't track properly and I get that annoying grinding sound. I have always avoided squats because they hurt but now that I've started kettlebell training, I find the full, deep squats don't hurt at all. Makes sense now!
Old 05-06-08, 09:11 PM  
Libby

Kettleballs

Are kettleballs the little balls with handles? How do you learn kettleball training? Are there kettleball workout tapes that I can buy to teach me how to use them?

Thanks!
Libby
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-08, 09:43 PM  
Gardengirl

I'm another one who has had squats help their knees. But I used to really hate them. That trick for me was to actually raise my toes up in my shoes wehen doing squats (which makes sure that you are sitting back in your heels and not extending over the toes). After I built up enough strength doing squats it was way easier and (almost) enjoyable! Lol!

I also always thought that the very deep squats were bad for your knees until I started kettlebells. There again, its all about keeping good form. My knees haven't bother me doing the "ass to the grass" kb squats. They're harder than regular squats, but have gotten easier with practice.
Old 05-07-08, 09:32 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby
Are kettleballs the little balls with handles? How do you learn kettleball training? Are there kettleball workout tapes that I can buy to teach me how to use them?

Thanks!
Libby
Yes, they look like cannon balls with handles.

There is an everything kettlebEll thread that has lots of info. If you do a search for kettlebEll (be sure to spell it right), you'll find many threads on the subject.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 10:12 AM  
Carol_is_fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby

Thanks!
Libby
Libby, here is the link to the Everything Kettlebells thread. It has a LOT of information. Please just ask if you have questions. Also, there is a kettlebell check-in with lots of very experienced folks, and they are a wealth of information.

Carol

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=103700
Old 05-07-08, 10:29 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
That trick for me was to actually raise my toes up in my shoes wehen doing squats (which makes sure that you are sitting back in your heels and not extending over the toes).
That's a very good tip that has made a difference for me, too.

Another great non-squat quad strengthener is bridge. This was another important exercise in physical therapy for me, especially since it taught me to keep my legs from wobbling while going through the range of motion and to focus attention on engaging all of my quadriceps.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:07 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
I'm another one who has had squats help their knees. But I used to really hate them. That trick for me was to actually raise my toes up in my shoes wehen doing squats (which makes sure that you are sitting back in your heels and not extending over the toes). After I built up enough strength doing squats it was way easier and (almost) enjoyable! Lol!

I also always thought that the very deep squats were bad for your knees until I started kettlebells. There again, its all about keeping good form. My knees haven't bother me doing the "ass to the grass" kb squats. They're harder than regular squats, but have gotten easier with practice.
Judy, kettlebell training has done wonders for my knees, too. I also like how control the pace is, which makes it even easier to do squats properly. Most other workouts' pace is too fast for me. Plus, I hate low ends.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 09:11 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S.
Judy, kettlebell training has done wonders for my knees, too. I also like how control the pace is, which makes it even easier to do squats properly. Most other workouts' pace is too fast for me. Plus, I hate low ends.
Hi Debbie! My knees AND lower back are much better after I started kb-ing! I always steered away from squats and lunges because of a touchy knee (too much high impact/step work in th 80's ). And I was particularly unsure about the "ass to grass" squats in kb. I've found ways to modify them until I get better at them. For some reason, strengthening my knees by actually doing squats and lunges to prevent knee pain never crossed my mind . . . duh!
Old 05-07-08, 09:27 PM  
Kimberly33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79
That's a very good tip that has made a difference for me, too.

Another great non-squat quad strengthener is bridge. This was another important exercise in physical therapy for me, especially since it taught me to keep my legs from wobbling while going through the range of motion and to focus attention on engaging all of my quadriceps.
I used to be able to raise my toes, by my knees still would get sore.

In the last few months, I've been doing the Fitness Fix DVDs (Int & Adv, mostly Int) about twice a week, and my knees have NEVER felt this good. Even when I thought they were doing really well the last few years (I'm 38, in my mid-20s I was sure I was on my way to knee replacement. Serious chondromalacia.)

I think it's the hip adductor work, and the glute and hamstring stuff. In particular, the hamstring curls that are essentially starting in bridge with your feet on the ball, then straightening and bending your legs without dropping your hips (or, in my case, waiting as long as possible before dropping my hips. ). I think a lot of my knee pain was the result of an imbalance between my quads (too strong) and hamstrings/glutes (too weak).

I think that 1/4 squats might cause shearing on the knee--if your quads are doing all of the work. Squats feel completely different to me now (I also notice a difference when I'm careful to brace my core, too, btw), and while it used to feel like there could have been some shearing, but it doesn't feel that way now.

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul
You've got to run like an antelope, out of control. (Phish)

Can't control the kittens!
Too many whiskers. Too many whiskers
(Sleep Talkin' Man)
Kimberly33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knees, quads, squats