Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-07, 03:36 PM  
~^~RedFlame~^~
VF Supporter

OKAY, I just need to UNsubscribe from this thread, you enablers are pulling on me! I don't know why, this sounds a lot like K Voight and other high rep low weight stuff. So why am I getting sucked into this?????

Proud GRADUATE of P90X!! TWICE Class 2007&2008!!
Burn Burn BUUUUURRRRRNNNN!

One's main goal in life is to give birth to oneself.
If you are not busy being born, you are busy dying!
~^~RedFlame~^~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 03:44 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~^~RedFlame~^~
OKAY, I just need to UNsubscribe from this thread, you enablers are pulling on me! I don't know why, this sounds a lot like K Voight and other high rep low weight stuff. So why am I getting sucked into this?????
Actually, Sherilyn - it's very different from Karen Voight's stuff. It's definitely not traditional weight lifting - toning type stuff. I really think you have to get it. Really.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 03:54 PM  
ssgilby

Red - My friend, sorry, but Karen is right. It's not necessarily low weight/high rep. I mean you do use low weight (you have to!) but there aren't an ungodly number of reps. I don't know how or why but for some reason the moves she does (which aren't that odd or anything) cause a huge burn with low weight and a moderate amount of reps. It's uncanny. I can't explain it. I've tried the upper body stuff from BM, and it was a joke. Light weight, a few reps and nothing to be felt at all. This is different. I really think that you, as a professional trainer, have a duty to get this video, do it, and give us the scientific explanation for why it causes such a burn. Get out the CC, Red, and check it out. Aaaahhh, the price you pay for being a professional . . .
Old 04-22-07, 04:01 PM  
mtnmom

It's "peach" workouts. I don't know where that expression came from. Red, don't you have any Callanetics, Lotte Berks, or Bar Methods? The lower body work is from isometric pulsing movements. Body weight only. You don't sweat, but you sure as heck burn! The upper body work is with low weights, but in the shoulder work (that's killer!) you hold your arms up in the "goal post" position and pulse this way and that. The tension on the shoulders is never let up. The movements are small, so the muscles don't get that stretching action that relieves the burn like in traditional weight work that has larger range of motion.

Or another example is the Fold-over planks I mentioned. Think of doing donkey kicks when you're on all fours. But you start in the highest position, then do pulses to really push that high position even higher. Tracy alternates angles to work the muscles from all sides. But you're holding your leg up the entire time!

I hope that gives you an idea. I don't know how else to explain it. It's not like Karen Voight or typical high rep/low weight work.
Old 04-22-07, 04:01 PM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby
Red - My friend, sorry, but Karen is right. It's not necessarily low weight/high rep. I mean you do use low weight (you have to!) but there aren't an ungodly number of reps. I don't know how or why but for some reason the moves she does (which aren't that odd or anything) cause a huge burn with low weight and a moderate amount of reps. It's uncanny. I can't explain it. I've tried the upper body stuff from BM, and it was a joke. Light weight, a few reps and nothing to be felt at all. This is different. I really think that you, as a professional trainer, have a duty to get this video, do it, and give us the scientific explanation for why it causes such a burn. Get out the CC, Red, and check it out. Aaaahhh, the price you pay for being a professional . . .
I think there should be a rule that if you post to a bandwagon thread more than three times you are obligated to buy the workout in question lest your VF privileges be revoked
Old 04-22-07, 04:16 PM  
Gardengirl

I've done BM w/o and I too found the upper body work to be nothing. I didn't like the ab work much either. I kind of liked the lower body work, but it made me feel like I was kind of the odd man out at a ballet class. The physiques, the pointed toes, the whole demeanor . . . I just felt kind of odd doing those. So, with that in mind, how do these compare?
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 04:21 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
I've done BM w/o and I too found the upper body work to be nothing. I didn't like the ab work much either. I kind of liked the lower body work, but it made me feel like I was kind of the odd man out at a ballet class. The physiques, the pointed toes, the whole demeanor . . . I just felt kind of odd doing those. So, with that in mind, how do these compare?
There's no ballet class feel to Squeeze. It's one on one with Tracy, either in a warehouse setting or on a rooftop. She seems more "athletic" than the Bar Method ladies. Not a ballet barre in sight!
Old 04-22-07, 04:26 PM  
gtmrfc

Ok. I just bought it. But -- I'm really done now. It just so happens that I'm doing this kind of thing right now. I really wasn't going to buy anything new, and I truly am not during the entire month of May (and the rest of April), but I have not heard such glowing reviews. (The new CIAs were close.)
gtmrfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 04:30 PM  
Gardengirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnmom
There's no ballet class feel to Squeeze. It's one on one with Tracy, either in a warehouse setting or on a rooftop. She seems more "athletic" than the Bar Method ladies. Not a ballet barre in sight!
That may push me over the edge! That, of course, and Bearcatfan saying if you post 3 times you MUST order!
Gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 05:44 PM  
Patti S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan
I think there should be a rule that if you post to a bandwagon thread more than three times you are obligated to buy the workout in question lest your VF privileges be revoked
LOL!

Tags
squeeze, tracy effinger