Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-13, 12:04 AM  
boukilisa

Anyone else do WW but wish they could ignore the scale? (Not diet related)

I work out with weights and have reached the best level of fitness I've had in years. My problem is that even though I'm stronger and in better shape, the scale says I'm heavier and not "losing weight." I'd really love to ignore the scale altogether. But the eating plan I use to control my food intake and manage stress eating calls for a weekly weight in. Are there other VFers here who use eating plans that require a weekly weigh in. How do you deal with this?
Old 12-23-13, 12:24 AM  
shoegoddess

I'm on WW right now. I have 5 pounds until I hit goal. So far my weigh ins haven't been a problem but I plan on doing a heavy lifting rotation ( Beast or STS... haven't decided yet) and I'm wondering how that's going to effect the maintance and weight ins.

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 07:32 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
I work out with weights and have reached the best level of fitness I've had in years. My problem is that even though I'm stronger and in better shape, the scale says I'm heavier and not "losing weight." I'd really love to ignore the scale altogether. But the eating plan I use to control my food intake and manage stress eating calls for a weekly weight in. Are there other VFers here who use eating plans that require a weekly weigh in. How do you deal with this?
Yeah the two (WW and heavier weighted workouts) don't go together all that well. Whenever I've been on that program, the promoted exercise seems to be mostly the "Get out and go for a walk!" variety; in other words the type that doesn't mess negatively with scale weight. With WW, no matter what their literature says it's all about the scale going down. So as long as you're following the program you'll have to ignore the scale for now.

Do I know of another commercial program that takes muscle-building activity into consideration? I don't unfortunately, but that doesn't mean they don't exist somewhere.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 08:33 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Yeah the two (WW and heavier weighted workouts) don't go together all that well. Whenever I've been on that program, the promoted exercise seems to be mostly the "Get out and go for a walk!" variety; in other words the type that doesn't mess negatively with scale weight. With WW, no matter what their literature says it's all about the scale going down. So as long as you're following the program you'll have to ignore the scale for now.
A couple ladies I know have had this same discussion / concern with WW. You get so concerned about watching the scale that you lose sight of the fact your clothes fit looser and you look so much better. Depending on who weighs you, it can be a less than fun experience.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 08:37 AM  
moviegrl1737

I don't know if any of you have read Tom Venuto but he talks about the difficulty between losing weight and building muscle at the same time. He claims to have the key for doing both, in his Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book, but I've never been able to get down to the nitty gritty like he prescribes
Insanity Grad
Half Marathon Finisher

"What you do today is important because you are trading a day of your life for it." - Unknown
moviegrl1737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 08:51 AM  
PhyllisG

I just got this book from the library. It is out in hardcover. I plan on reading it after the holidays. I am looking for some help/suggestions for the same issues.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 09:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

It is a conundrum. I have been over my weight goal when lifting heavy and in the best shape of my life. Now I'm under my weight goal and have not been lifting. Clothes that fit me when I weighed 155 will not zip up anymore, and I weigh 147. It is due to my reduction in muscle mass.

I sent you a PM.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 11:06 AM  
Cheyenne Shaw
VF Supporter

I'm doing WW too and currently have 1lb left to my goal but I had started Cathe's X-Train rotation and gained 2lbs. I know it was muscle because my measurements were smaller, I only had 6lbs to go at the time so I stopped doing X-train and within 3 weeks the 2lbs plus 5 more came off. I plan on starting X-train again after I meet goal.

John 16:33

I have said these things to you, that in Me (Jesus) you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."
Cheyenne Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 11:33 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Have you considered doing WW online? You could just SKIP weighing in, or put in a placeholder (say, 100 lb every week) and just track your waist measurement monthly instead. You can still go to meetings if you are doing WW online, I think.

(I've done WW online but have never gone to meetings, so I could be wrong about that.)
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13, 01:30 PM  
ruthular

I hear you and it is an issue. I actually stopped going to meetings for that reason. I was doing great with exercise, eating super-clean and made permanent changes that will ensure that I don't backslide. All major positives. However, the scale wasn't moving much and i hated feeling like a failure each week. Doing it online is an option, or you could just weigh once/month. Overall, i did not find the program to be overly supportive of healthy behaviors. It's all about the scale.
ruthular is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scale issues, weight watchers