Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-20, 06:33 AM  
antbuko

So sorry, for your loss, primrosecat.

You might consider switching to internet service only. I had the Optimum triple play, internet, phone and cable and it was just too much money every month. I finally switched to just internet for about $60/month back in 2014. It did take a little getting used to but now I love it and would never go back to cable and phone service. It's just too expensive. I was paying monthly rental fees for three cable boxes and remote controls. Absurd! If you want me to pay for your service, provide the necessary equipment! I now stream whatever I want to watch and I have good cell service, so just something for you to consider.

It's a shame they won't negotiate with you. Verizon FIOS is also available in my area, so I have some leverage with Optimum. In fact, during quarantine, my WIFI signal stopped reaching the master bedroom. The tech support people gave me all manner of bad advice so finally I asked to be disconnected. I told them that I had previously been paying $60 per month and I am now paying $90 and they are no longer able to provide the same level of service, so they got my bill back down to $60 and bumped up my internet speed and they told me to call them back before the offer expires and ask for an extension.
Old 06-23-20, 08:47 AM  
BunnyHop

I just thought I'd mention that I've had good results with an indoor antenna lately.

My cable went out and they won't send techs inside the house to make the repair during the pandemic, so I finally bit the bullet and just bought a simple antenna. I sorta feel lucky that I found one that fits the connections I have on my tv, but hey, it worked.

Now I need to get brave and cancel the cable altogether. My dad died almost two years ago, and I'm still learning how to live this new life. Part of the trouble for me is that everything's an adventure, and I have begun to realize that I'm just not adventurous. Best wishes to you in your grief.
Old 06-23-20, 09:18 AM  
primrosecat

Anna, I am so sorry about your dad. Grief changes everything doesn't it. I'm getting some good ideas here. At least, I see there are some options. And I'm thinking I will call Spectrum back and have a very direct talk with them.If that doesn't work, well you've all given me some other ideas. I'm so glad for your help everyone.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-20, 09:51 AM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
So our only option for internet is to have a landline with DSL and then we get our tv separately through a satellite service. The two costs are outrageous and I wouldn't recommend this set up. Personally I'd like to ditch the satellite tv, but my husband won't let it go. I'll be interested to see what suggestions others have for you.
I could've posted this as I was in the same boat. However, we're supposed to get hooked up to cable for internet and phone this week from a local company since the big players (Spectrum) don't serve this area. They came yesterday and said it would be $250 to run the lines since we are so far off the road. And.....it starts. The phone company we have now is going out of business at the end of the month and we live in a rural area, so I am basically at their mercy. It'll cost me $100 per month for 10Mbps internet speed with VOIP phone so I can continue to use my Panasonic phones. I have Dish at $67 per month, so I would consider adding their cable TV service (perhaps in the future) for an extra $30 per month and ditching Dish, but I like my DVR. Currently I have .3Mbps internet DSL speed (yes, you read that right) and a landline phone for $65 per month. AT&T would only offer me my landline with 1.5 Mbps for $107 per month plus long distance charges and said it would go up at least $10/month after the first year. AT&T were snotty to talk to and they can kiss my azz. They are the only company that offers the same service I had before. Clearly they want to get rid of landlines. Luckily I have decent cell reception on the hill where I live, so if my VOIP goes out, I'll still have cells. Our cells are paid for by the company we work for.

I would suggest perhaps calling Spectrum again and telling them your situation. Sometimes it depends upon the person you talk to. If someone who you just know has an attitude right from the get-go, hang up and call again to get someone else. I also find that calling mid to late week is better as far as their attitude goes as well. It may not work, but it's worth a try.

I'm so sorry for your situation. I know how frustrating this process is, so I hope you find a solution soon. Perhaps contact your neighbors and see what they are doing?
Old 06-23-20, 12:28 PM  
mamaste

I’m sorry for your loss.

I agree with others who have suggested cord cutting. There are lots of free options like Tubi or Pluto. Get a low cost streaming service like Hulu or Netflix. Local stations usually have apps, too.

If you still want to use Spectrum, call again. Keep calling until someone offers you a deal.
Old 06-24-20, 01:51 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by primrosecat View Post
Anna, I am so sorry about your dad. Grief changes everything doesn't it. ...
It does, it really does. It's taken me almost two years to reach a stage where I've begun to feel almost normal-ish so long as I maintain good self care habits in every aspect of my existence. It feels sorta tedious sometimes, but then I remember that when dad was alive, the bits of self care I could manage were squeezed in amongst all the chaos, and that mindset is probably affecting my perceptions. I do have trouble relaxing and feeling safe.

Still haven't managed to change any of my household arrangements because I know the whole thing will be wildly stressful and I'm beyond tired of being weepy at the drop of a hat. Was just beginning to think I could make some changes and the pandemic came along and here I sit, frozen in my tracks, again.

Don't be like me. Calm your mind, make good lists and shift things around til you have something you can live with.

If you'd like some other advice on self-care stuff, please, do let me know. I've found a good counselor, read some good books, and seem to have adopted some habits that are actually helping me feel calmer.

Right now it probably feels as though the whole world is upside down, and just getting reoriented to some new right side up is a huge challenge, pandemic or not, so do what you can to nurture yourself.
Old 06-25-20, 03:10 PM  
primrosecat

Angie-I thought I had it bad. I kind of got lost there, trying to figure out what you are dealing with. I hope somehow you can resolve it and not have to take out a second mortgage. Mamaste, I have a landline I want to keep, and I need the internet. I may have to bite the dust and call Spectrum. Anna, I really feel for you. Keep doing what you are doing that's helping you. My hubby and I were together over 50 years, and I sometimes find the grief overwhelming, but it's only been 2 months. Although at my age, I doubt that it will ever really get much better. Back on topic, I think I'll look into what's out there. If Angie can do it, maybe I can, too.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, cable tv, cord cutting