Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-18, 06:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Well, here I am again searching for something else to read. Finished the ones I have and the library is closed. Sigh.

I'm thinking I may be rereading some Harry Potter tonight. I need something familiar.
Old 09-04-18, 06:44 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Well, here I am again searching for something else to read. Finished the ones I have and the library is closed. Sigh.

I'm thinking I may be rereading some Harry Potter tonight. I need something familiar.
I highly favor physical books over digital, however (at times like you are describing) I'm glad for the ability to check out and load ebooks instantly!

I Harry Potter. Right now I'm rereading Fellowship of the Ring.
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-18, 11:54 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
I highly favor physical books over digital, however (at times like you are describing) I'm glad for the ability to check out and load ebooks instantly!

I Harry Potter. Right now I'm rereading Fellowship of the Ring.
I'm not sure I want to tumble down the e-book rabbit hole.

At least with physical books there are some limits I understand. Also, I just like books. As much as I enjoy reading online in general, I enjoy having an actual book to hold. Glowing screens just don't have quite the same appeal, especially as I'm preparing for sleep. (And during a power outage I don't have to worry about battery life or any sort of electronic glitch.)

Well, HP didn't grab me tonight, guess I'm preoccupied. Maybe I should just try something else entirely. Haven't re-read any Tolkien in a long time. Will sample what I have. Thanks for the inspiration.

Me again: Weather preoccupations have me up late, and distracted my focus. Made the time for a bodyscan type meditation by Jon Kabat Zinn, then wandered by my bookcase and found Edward Yu's The Art of Slowing Down which I hadn't seen in years. Also picked up Daily Readings from Quaker Writings Vol. 2. The entry for today was an awe-inspiring group of whales protecting a little boat in heavy seas. (9/5) Guess I just wanted to read some stuff that made me think.

Also browsed around the SoundsTrue website, talking myself out of getting a bunch more audio meditation cds. I like the ones I have but I want to try to focus on just using those for the next little while. It's well done, so should be worth it.
Old 09-16-18, 07:14 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Hello -

I have just a few questions for fellow readers:

What is your favorite book genre?

Do you prefer to read a series in order?

If a book is not grabbing you, how long do you give it before you give up on it?

Book you are most looking forward to reading? Perhaps a new release?

How many books do you read in a month?

Do you have a large book collection? Do you buy or rent? Keep books once you have read or donate?

My answers:

I am heavy into cozy mysteries right now. I like mysteries in general but nothing too grisly or graphic. I used to like chick lit but I think I am over it, where 10-12 years ago that was more my thing. I may venture into other types at some point but cozies I am really enjoying and there are so many out there.

I prefer to read a series in order, I have started in the middle but have opted to start at the beginning going forward.

I don't know the answer to this one yet, I have a few that I bought years ago that I have never read but want to read before I donate but don't want to waste my time either if it's one that I am not into. I would say for me probably a few chapters at minimum, maybe 50-100 pages?

Another one I don't have an answer to, there are too many on my list to read and I have trouble picking one. I guess This Pen for Hire by Laura Levine, I started with the PMS Murder and really liked it but am going to start at the beginning. I am on the hold list at the library and just waiting for it.

In August and September so far I think I have read 6 books. I could probably read one book per week, most of it on the weekend but some during the week.

I rent most of them but will buy used if my library doesn't have it. I bought a handful or so 10-12 years ago that I read about half of them and kept. I am going to try and read the rest and probably donate once I am finished with them. I think if I started collecting them it would get out of control.

I am curious to see your answers...thanks!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 08:53 AM  
BunnyHop

Generally, fiction, but I am fond of character based science fiction and fantasy. This past year I've read a good many memoirs (Recommending 'Educated' by Tara Westover). Also a fan of some cozy mystery series.

Yes, though some authors write their books in such a way that this isn't always necessary. I do prefer to watch the series develop.

If a book is not grabbing you, how long do you give it before you give up on it? If it's not grabbing me AND it's irritating, I don't give it much time. If it's just that life is interfering, I'll set it aside for a while and read something different.

Some of my favorite authors have books coming out in the next few months.
Louise Penny (in November), Alan Bradley (not til January, waah!) Charles Finch (February?) I want to see Rose Levy Beranbaum's new cookbook (Sept. 25), Rose's Baking Basics, but since I cook for one I'm thinking I may wait til it eventually shows up at the library.

Depends on the size of the book. Currently reading a book club edition of some Anne McCaffrey novels that's a 3 in 1. Taking forever, but technically speaking I've read about two novel's worth so far, and that's not bad.
Some of the memoirs I read late this summer were quick one day reads.

Do you have a large book collection? Do you buy or rent? Keep books once you have read or donate?

Too many books! I've been weeding through the collection and donating to the library kind of gradually. I make good use of the library, but am well aware that when new books come out they take forever to arrive at the library. (For example, they still don't have a copy of Naomi Novik's newest, Spinning Silver, and it's been out a good while. Sigh. I'm holding off on getting my own, I haven't really loved her later stuff quite the way I did the very first book she wrote. Still want to read it, eventually.)

I love to re-read books, but over time my tastes change and then I'm stuck with a mountain of paperbacks. At least those are popular authors likely to sell in the book sale no matter how worn they are.
Old 09-16-18, 09:08 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Fun! Thanks for posting the questions:

What is your favorite book genre? Historical fiction. It can be mystery, novels, fantasy, or romance.

Do you prefer to read a series in order? Absolutely. I won't start a series until I have the first one.

If a book is not grabbing you, how long do you give it before you give up on it? About 3 pages. If a book doesn't grab me from the start, I don't waste my time on it. Life's too short and there's too many books.

Book you are most looking forward to reading? Perhaps a new release? Harbor Secrets by Melody Carson. I just got it from PBS and I want to finish what I'm already reading first.

How many books do you read in a month? I've been focusing on creative journaling, so I don't read nearly as much these days. Maybe 4-5 books in a month.

Do you have a large book collection? Do you buy or rent? Keep books once you have read or donate? I'm trying to cut down on the number of books I have and transition to getting books from the library. I buy a few, get a lot from paperbackswap, read Kindle books. I tend to either post books on PBS for the credits and donate those that aren't on anyone's wish list.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 09:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
Hello -

I have just a few questions for fellow readers:

If a book is not grabbing you, how long do you give it before you give up on it?

Tara, cute idea! Here are my answers:
  1. I don't have a single favorite genre. I read mostly fiction and within that I will read bestsellers, thrillers, suspense, cozy mysteries, historical (less of this than I used to), and some romantic comedy (but I'm getting a bit old for "chick lit"). I like memoirs and some biographies--I think I mentioned that right now I am reading an autobiography of Tom Jones that a friend gave me (fun!). (Aside to BunnyHop--I read Hillbilly Elegy over the summer, and my friend recommended Educated to me as being somewhat similar.) And since becoming a yoga teacher a few years ago, I've read more and more yoga-related books, and my collection has grown in that area.
  2. I try to avoid series--but then some years back I stumled across the Hannah Swenson cozy mysteries. I stared in the middle, but like you, I went back to beginning. Other than this, I have a few yoga mystery series that I am reading plus David Baldacci's Will Robie seres; I think that's it!
  3. I used to NEVER give up on a book. Now I will occasionally--it's main when not only don't I like the book, but I'm actually finding it frustrating and annoying! Over the summer I stuck with Baldacci's One Summer until the end--it was super-cheesy and predictable but readable.
  4. The only new releases I generally look for are the new Stephen King books. (It's hard to keep up with him though--I read THE OUTSIDER this summer, and now I see he has another new one coming out!) Otherwise I just work my way through my books I have collected to read.
  5. Hard to estimate my monthly totally b/c it various. Over the summer when I'm off work (June/July), I probably read a book a week--I think I read 3 when we were on vacation for 10 days. It can really vary when working, as then I read mostly before bed and don't last long! I would say maybe 1-2 books/month normally (faster if it's fiction, slower if it's non).
  6. My book collecction is small, at least for fiction--I keep a few favorites. I do have an ever-growing collection of yoga/related books, as I consider them reference (and also haven't read all of them! ). I get my books either from the library or from used book sales; it's rare for me to purchase a new book (unless it's something I know I will keep, like a yoga book). I donate pretty much all of my fiction books. DH is another case altogether--he keeps everything!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 10:25 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

What a great idea, I’m enjoying reading everyone’s answers!

Mysteries, especially British mysteries. I enjoy the occasional cosy mystery too. I also love historical fiction.

Always!

I give it about 50 pages, maybe 100 if it’s a book club selection.

Warlight by Michael Ondaatje

Really varies, more when I’m traveling & in the winter. I’d say anywhere from 1 to 6

Do you have a large book collection?
No, I’m trying to minimalize.

Do you buy or rent?
I use the library a lot, especially for ebooks. I buy mostly kindle books unless it’s a non fiction, reference, or fitness related book.

Keep books once you have read or donate?
Usually pass them to a friend or donate them.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 01:40 PM  
JezthePuff2

Probably contemporary general fiction - like Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain, and Kristin Hannah. I also enjoy chick lit - Jennifer Weiner, Emily Giffin and Lianne Moriarty. I love mysteries, suspense and psychological thrillers, and some historical fiction. I also enjoy the occasional memoir or biography, and I read lots of self-help/self-development books. There are only a few genres I don't tend to pick: Sci-Fi, fantasy, westerns, and pure romance.

Absolutely.

Really depends. If I'm reading it for one of my two book clubs, I usually will do my best to trudge through it. If it's just something I picked up and I don't like it within 10-15 pages, I would stop (probably). I have a FOMO (fear of missing out)...I keep thinking that the book may get better, and sometimes that does happen.

So many! The following authors have books coming out soon, and I can't wait: Jodi Picoult, Diane Chamberlain, Lianne Moriarty, Kate Morton. I know if one of these authors wrote a book, I'll be reading it (without even reading the description).

About 6 or 7 each month.

I do have a large book collection, but I'm trying to give them away as I read them. I get most of my books from the library though (I download them through Overdrive - both Kindle and audiobooks).

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-18, 02:18 PM  
sherry7899

Jez, we have very similar answers! I may answer the questions myself later.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, kindle, reading