Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-17, 09:15 PM  
bfit

completely OT: experience with stackable washer/dryer?

We just remodeled our exercise/laundry room which has been a long, expensive, frustrating journey that involved exercising in the back yard or on the front porch for 3 months. At any rate, part of the plan was to get a stackable washer/dryer which we just had installed. We did our first laundry in it this weekend, and we were far from pleased with the washer (a front loader that supposedly saves water). It is so sensitive to imbalance that we couldn't get a load of towels to spin dry at all and had to wring them by hand in the dark in the back yard (in 95 degree heat). It takes an hour (!) to do a load of laundry. And, the soap is put in a little tray similar to a dishwasher soap compartment, but the soap didn't all dissolve and lumps were left in the compartment afterward. Did we get a lemon? Or is this just how these smaller, more "efficient" units work? We plan to go back to the appliance store tomorrow to complain, but if this is just how these machines work I doubt that they'll do anything for us,.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:21 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hmmmmm, I had a stackable washer and dryer when I lived in San Francisco but it was before the high efficiency ones and it wasn't a front loader but the traditional style. We did use what I think was the washer portion of a set like yours when we were in an apartment in Italy this summer (they didn't have a dryer). It took forever to run - very long wash cycle - but the clothes (we didn't do towels) were well on their way to being dry when the cycle was finally done. We did notice that it yellowed a few of our white things -- this was in a previous VF thread about laundry soap (I think that was the subject).

I hope you figure it out and will be happy with it.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 10:44 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I was going to answer because I've been using a stackable washer/dryer set in our condo for the last 18 years. I then realized it's probably about 30 years old and in no way compares to yours.

My old fashioned ones work fine, the only drawback is that they are relatively small. I recently visited relatives and their washer seemed positively enormous to me, I think it's just normal but I'm used to my little one.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-17, 11:45 PM  
NancyW

I have a Samsung stackable, and I love it. The washer is front loading. I use Tide Hi efficiency liquid detergent.
On vacation, I used a stackable that was top loading, and that worked fine too. Don't know the brand of that one.
Maybe it wasn't installed properly?
Nancy
NancyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 03:38 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I too have a Samsung HE stackable (full size) front-loading washer and dryer which I purchased last year to replace a GE high-efficiency stackable set I've previously owned. It works fine. The washer has different settings, so depending on which setting I choose, it may take 45 min and up to 2 hours for a load of laundry to be done. I have to say that I'm not terribly impressed with how my whites turn out but that just may be how HE washers work because my previous GE washer didn't do any better. I always use HE detergents, but somehow I can't get my head wrapped around how the washer can use very little water and still wash anything well. Somehow, it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm fairly satisfied with our dryer and have never had the same problems with imbalanced load you've described.
Old 09-05-17, 04:39 AM  
Lannette

We're planning on purchasing a Speed Queen Stackable. They're more expensive but are a bit bigger and have a 10 year warranty. There's some remodeling that needs to take place before it goes in place.

Double check your unit to be sure it's perfectly Level.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 05:56 AM  
rvagal

I have only been using Front Loaders for the last ten years and I'm a big fan. I even did cloth diapers in then (would add an extra rinse and hot water).

The spinning thing sounds like yours isn't properly balanced. That shouldn't be happening. I've also never had a problem with the soap, although in my SpeedQueen sometimes there's a tiny bit on top of this little bar that doesn't get dissolved.

In our vacation home we have a Samsung set that we have stacked and haven't had any problems even using well water. I did have to switch from my regular eco-friendly detergent (Country Save) to Tide there to overcome the slight fishy smell that develops in the washer due to how long we go between washes and the well water.

At home we had an 8 year old Samsung which worked fine, but then the mother board died and they only keep replacement parts for 7 years. This made me angry as my giant washer shouldn't become destined for the trash heap so quickly, so I got a SpeedQueen. It's made in America, no plastic parts, and should last twice as long as the other brands. When the dryer dies I'm getting another SpeedQueen.

My biggest tip is to leave the door to the washer open between washes to air out. Only close it when it's completely dry so you don't get mold or a yucky smell.
Old 09-05-17, 07:01 AM  
PhyllisG

I have just downsized and am living in a tiny house and have to get a stackable. A friend has a Whirlpool and likes it. The GE is on sale but am not convinced. I prefer a top loader. Anyway any suggestions are appreciated.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 02:37 PM  
PhyllisG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I was going to answer because I've been using a stackable washer/dryer set in our condo for the last 18 years. I then realized it's probably about 30 years old and in no way compares to yours.

My old fashioned ones work fine, the only drawback is that they are relatively small. I recently visited relatives and their washer seemed positively enormous to me, I think it's just normal but I'm used to my little one.
Jennifer. What brand of you have? I was thinking to get a whirlpool the GE is on sale at a nearby Lowes but I haven't had good experiences with GE appliances.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 04:11 PM  
BigBadBetty

I have a 12-year-old Bosch stacking washer and dryer set. I haven't had any of these issues. I use an HE detergent. I wish I had a full-sized washer rather than an apartment-sized one.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote