Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-16, 08:02 AM  
Sara1000

Pain from stretching?

I have been doing certain stretches recommended for sciatica after I injured myself hiking a few months ago. The sciatica is about gone but now I have pain at the top of both thighs when I walk. The sciatica was only on one side but now both sides hurt equally in this new place.

Could this be caused by the stretches? Mainly I have been doing hamstring stretches, pigeon, happy baby, butterfly - nothing strange or really new to me, just doing them more often (once a day).

The other thing I've changed is at work (in a library) I do a lot of shelving of books near the floor - where I was bending (which bothered my back) I've started squatting to reach down there. Could that be the cause?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 08:19 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Are you making sure to stretch the opposing muscle groups too - quads and hip flexors? When I hurt from walking, it's usually a hip flexor thing.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 08:24 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

It sounds like your hip flexors are sore or injured somehow. Have you been doing a bunch of hip flexor stretches or lunges? I injured my hip flexors a bit years ago trying to get a decent workout out of the Urban Rebounding workouts. My hip flexors hurt when I walked, there was sort of a moment when I had to push through a "sticking" point just to walk. Needless to say, I got rid of the offending workouts & went back to my own rebounding routines.

I can't say I did anything special to alleviate the pain other than "baby" my hip flexors. Hopefully, someone else can give you some advice on how to get better. I think you should continue to try & pinpoint what is giving you pain, so you can stop doing it or modify it somehow.

I hope you find something to help. When I had that kind of pain, it was surprisingly limiting compared to other injuries.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 08:39 AM  
cherimac

I have that happen when I overstretch. My flexibility says I can go deeper than I need to sometimes-if I'm sore or tight or injured, etc.
Old 03-26-16, 09:25 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Well, and depending on your definition of "top of thighs", it may be sore from the squatting you've been doing to put away the books.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 10:15 AM  
Sara1000

Specifically the place just below where the thigh joins the pelvis, mainly in the front. It hurts with ever step when I am walking on level ground, more with an incline.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 11:03 AM  
Taiga

Sounds like your hip flexors (most likely) or quads/sartorious. Might help to take a short break from any painful stretching then start back more gently. Foam rolling or tiger tailing the fronts of the thighs (not at the very top of the thigh where it hurts but in the denser portion) can loosen the muscles up so they stretch instead of strain. Foam rolling requires core strength/strong back so tiger tail or massage therapy might be a safer start. Gentle psoas massage/release techniques can help (there are a million youtube demos). Epsom salts soaks can also help if appropriate (not for folks with low blood pressure etc).

If you continue to have problems with tightness/tender points (especially in more than one region), consider stepping back to see if something global might be contributing. Low vitamin B & D and low magnesium levels can contribute to this (your doctor can actually test levels as warranted). High sugar intake, emotional stress, lack of sleep or anything else that regularly triggers stress hormone release can contribute to chronic muscle tension/reduced flexibility. HTH.
Old 03-26-16, 12:04 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Are you making sure to stretch the opposing muscle groups too - quads and hip flexors? When I hurt from walking, it's usually a hip flexor thing.

Carol
This!
I do a lot of stretching and always do both front and back body.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 12:12 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

Sara, I've had the same pain for a few years now. I've been to PT twice and it's still there. When I stretch the hip flexors the pain gets unbearable. Lately my leg gives out after I stretch it. I've given up stretching it for awhile to concentrate on strengthening. I don't know if it will work but at least it doesn't increase the pain.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-16, 12:53 PM  
Betty Boop

I thought it interesting that Missy Park, founder of Title Nine, made a comment on the following page about stretching: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB100014...80872376208662. If you scroll down, you'll see the following:
--------
"Anti-Stretch Philosophy

'I've never stretched my entire life. I can't touch my toes—I dangle at least 12-inches above them. But I've also never pulled a muscle or had a muscular injury. I think a dynamic warm-up like a light jog or hopping on the ElliptiGO is more effective than a static stretch.'"
--------
It sounds like she doesn't stretch after a workout either.

Tags
pain releif, pain relief, stretching