Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-09-15, 12:03 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Oh, one thing I wanted to add on for all the Hammer workouts: the warmup and cooldown/stretch segments are short.

The warmup is the same for every workout, and it's not going to get you sweaty. There are a bunch of band moves where you're extending your arms in front of you, then overhead, then doing pulldowns. You do a couple of squats, a couple of reverse lunges with torso twists, you walk your hands out into plank and back a few times, then some supermans on the floor, child's pose and.....DONE. You might jog in place too, but Sagi barely lifts his heels and you jog for maybe 10 seconds.

The cooldown/stretches are short too, one of them was only 1 minute long.

When I did Beast I always did a Cathe warmup to get me going, usually from Pyramid Upper or Lower, and I did more stretching at the end too. I'll do that again with the Hammer workouts.

[ETA]: and you're welcome, all the 'thank yous'!
Old 12-09-15, 12:29 PM  
Jenmgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10 View Post
Start, start! I'm going to try the first week of the all-Hammer rotation starting tomorrow. I pledged this month to do two weeks of a strength-focused rotation since I've been dogging it on my weights work for most of the fall. I'm finishing up a week of XTrain cardio-plus-Burn-Sets and I'm....not inspired. So Hammer it will be.

For those who received a deluxe DVD: can you tell me what 15 Min Leg Hammer is like? That's an optional add-on for Day 2 of the rotation and I don't have that workout yet.
Would you like to join my group on Facebook if you have it?
I wanted to start today but life got in the way
Has to take my three year old ice skating
Jenmgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 02:01 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenmgo View Post
Would you like to join my group on Facebook if you have it?
I wanted to start today but life got in the way
Has to take my three year old ice skating
Will PM you.
Old 12-09-15, 03:10 PM  
momofcha

I'm horrible at reviews, but here is the breakdown for
15 min leg hammer Deluxe workout

Clock starts at 17:19 - uses the med ball, the modifier is using a dumbbell. For most moves you start slow and then speed up the tempo
- med ball squats - set on floor, squat to pick up
- lunge - pushing med ball out as a chest press
- side lunges
- burpees - put med ball on ground and balance on it in the burpee
- slow squat w/ med ball on ground & pressing over head, then speed it up
- side lunge pressing med ball on ground - slow, then quick
- slow reverse lunges w/ med ball on one shoulder (of working leg) - slow, then quick and then repeat on other leg
- sumo twist - 4 count to put med ball on left, then 4 counts to center, 4 counts to right - repeat speeding up tempo
- single leg deadlift to crunch - slow deadlift, bring knee up to crunch - speed up the tempo and then repeat on other side
- step up press (no step needed) - rear lunge placing ball on ground, then lift it overhead as you stand up bringing knee up bent - slow, then fast and then repeat other side
cooldown starts with 2:08 left
basic stretches

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 03:30 PM  
momofcha

15 Minute Glute Chisel - uses med ball - Deluxe workout
warm up - light jog
jumping jacks
twists
- sumo jump jacks - with med ball biceps
- Bulgarian split squats w/ foot on med ball behind you - switch legs - 25 each leg
- curtsy lunge jumps - hold ball at chest, right lunge, push ball overhead, switch legs and bring ball down
- weighted warrior 3 - right side, then left - 25 each side
- side lunge ball pull - right leg on ball out to the side, squat down on left and roll ball out and in - 25 then repeat on the other side
- bridge on ball - heel on ball, other leg straight up - 25 reps, repeat on other side
stretch

Old 12-09-15, 04:04 PM  
momofcha

Power Chisel 29:12 Deluxe workout
Just Sagi and Autumn
Power, Isometric Strength and Core
there isn't much instruction, she pretty much expects you to know what to do
warm up - basic stretches
so far, I am annoyed with their banter
- squats - 4 squat jumps and then hold for 4 seconds at the bottom (using med ball), repeat 4 times
grab heavier weights
- squats - 10 reps
- upright row - more like bent over rows, but whatever - lunge forward and do 5 rows, then hold for 4 - repeat 5 times
- pull ups - 10
- hanging knee curl - 16 reps
- ball plyo lunge - uses med ball - right leg - 4 jumps then hold, 5 times through
- lunge - use heavy weights - same leg forward as on the plyo lunge - 10 reps
- ball plyo lunge - left leg
- lunge - left leg
- plyo push up - 4 quick, hold for 4, repeat 4 sets - Autumn watches Sagi do these - then she shows a modification using the bench
- bench press - heavy weights - 10 reps
- half spiderman - 16 reps
their bantering is less annoying - he balks at the name spiderman and she teases him that he's skinny ie chisel, not the Hulk
16 second break
- ball sumo plyo - uses med ball - 4 quick, hold for 4, repeat through 4 times
- sumo squat - heavy weights - either one weight between legs, or two on the hips - 10 reps
- push press - hold med ball and raise up as you lift onto toes - 4 reps, hold for 4 (ball at top), repeat 4 times through
- military press - heavy weights - 10 reps
- seated toe taps - Sagi holds ball between his feet - lean back, leg raises (works abs) - 16 reps
- ball knee drivers (left leg)(tall box presses) - hold ball- 4 reps, hold for 4 (midway with leg in air), repeat 4 times through - modification - pistol squats
- tall box presses - left leg - using heavy weights
- repeat ball knee drivers and tall box presses with weights on right leg
- bicep curls - lighter weights - stagger your stance, full bicep curl for 4, hold halfway for count of 4, repeat 4 times through
their banter is annoying again
- bicep curls - heavy weights - full bicep curl - 10 reps
- triceps - lighter weights - left foot forward, bent over lunge - kickbacks - 4 reps, hold for 4, repeat 4 times through
- kickbacks - heavy weights - 10 reps

Old 12-09-15, 05:57 PM  
s2546

thank you Sue!! these look very good! i have no budget left to buy but i do like the structure

sue
s2546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-15, 06:05 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Another thank you! These look interesting.
Old 12-11-15, 10:55 AM  
momofcha

Do we have a review thread???

I did Chisel Balance today. 40 minutes

OK, to preface, I did an HDM workout this morning, so this was my second workout of the day. Oh my lord was this hard. The very first move there was no way I could do without putting my foot down. It's not even so much my balance was bad, but my glute was on fire!!

Nice warm up, long enough too. Felt good.
Round 1
1 leg squat sit - I used 12 lbs and it's basically a pistol squat, but you squat down and sit on the bench and then stand back up. 15 reps on each leg and repeat through twice
Round 2
Leg bridge pullover - I could do this. 12 lb in each hand, bridge, one leg in the air, lat pullover - 15 reps each leg
Round 3
1 leg squat deadlift - 2 sets, 15 reps each leg
Round 4
up-down - this is basically a plank, but your arms are on the bench. you have both arms on the bench in a straight arm plank, bring the right arm down to the ground and then the left, and then back up - 15 reps with the right arm, and then 15 with the left - I was winded after this!!!
Round 5
Split squat jump - Bulgarian split squat with leg on the bench - plyo down and then bring knee up to chest - very hard for me. 2 rounds of 15 reps each leg
Round 6
renegade row lift - arms on the bench, renegade row with right arm, lifting left leg up - repeat for left arm and right leg - two times through, 15 reps
Round 7
1 arm press bridge - head and shoulders on your bench, glutes are engaged the entire time - do a one arm chest press while bringing the other leg up to chest - seems basic, but tough!!! 2 rounds, 15 reps each arm and leg
Round 8
Balance row pistol squat - this one did me in - I could only complete one set - one leg deadlift with a row and when you stand up you squat to a pistol squat - 15 reps each leg, 2 sets

All in all this was nothing like the first workout I did where I was unimpressed. I'm very glad I got this set and can't wait to do more. I'm in the middle of an HDM love fest so I'm not sure how I will incorporate these in, but this workout was awesome!

Old 12-11-15, 12:29 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

I did Max Hammer Strength yesterday and it was a good total-body workout [there's a breakdown of exercises upthread]. I don't usually like total body for my strength work but this was thorough and sequenced well. I ended up sweaty but never out of breath, and not drained at the end either. Because you have only one weighted set of 8 reps, you can go way heavy if you want to. I'm feeling it in my chest this morning.

Sagi is flatter in this series than in Beast, which is good if you thought his camera-mugging was over the top but bad if you like his hamminess. I dunno, his energy feels a bit more forced in this workout and he's not teasing the backgrounders like he did in Beast. I think some of the Beast guys were long-time bodybuilders and knew Sagi before, whereas the H&C people don't have that personal relationship with him so you don't get the back-and-forth.

Last edited by athompson10; 12-11-15 at 12:29 PM. Reason: adding info
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21 day fix, beach body, body beast, hammer and chisel, hammer and chisel reviews, sagi kalev