Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-13, 04:33 PM  
JP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose2boys View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate it.

Rose-
Another VFr suggested the same thing & I just PM'd her...so, I'll see what she says...

I just really want to get rid of as many as possible all at once. There are just sooo many, so short of giving it all away to Goodwill I may need to split them up.

As for Amazon trade in, how does that work? I have never sold/traded there.

Consider DVDS4Vets!

They take all dvds (movies & fitness) and give them to Veteran's Centers. If you go to their website (dvds4vets.org), they explain everything. You can also input your state & they will tell you where Veteran's Centers are located & you can drop them off there.

I posted about this site a couple of weeks ago when I was going thru a purge and several VFers found there were centers very close to them & donated their dvds to them I mailed 2 dozen dvds to the dvds4vets home office via media mail & it only cost around $4.25 so it's a very inexpensive alternative to Goodwill and such a worthwhile cause.

Re: Trade Ins on Amazon - I've found it's only worth it for brand new, never used dvds. Otherwise, they give you so little money, it's not worth the effort.

HTH
Joan
JP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 04:45 PM  
loverly7

I do purges sometimes and I almost always donate to the library. A bonus is I feel satisfaction when I go to the library and see their greatly expanded collection, thanks in large part to yours truly.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 05:32 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose2boys View Post
As for Amazon trade in, how does that work? I have never sold/traded there.
Here's what you need to know:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201125690

You can check to see if your DVDs are listed and if so, what amount they are worth. If you trade it, you are sent a shipping label to sent in your items. This used to be a better deal than it is now; the payout amounts have really gone down over time, but you could get lucky.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 05:33 PM  
Sultana

I like the idea of selling the collection as a lot on Ebay. I bet if you put in a low minimum bid, include titles and a group photo or two and info about condition of most of the dvds it would end up selling high, you could ship to one addy and the person who gets them is likely to be thrilled with the variety, etc. Heck, I like the idea of finding such a listing on ebay!
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 05:47 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatfan View Post
You could try contacting vfer Roleez - she often buys lots of dvds and then resells on ebay. She is good to work with and offers what I feel is a fair price.
That was going to be my suggestion.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-13, 06:23 PM  
rose2boys

I just sent my verrry long list to roleez to see what she wants/offers.

After that, I think I will check out DVDS4VETS. I have never heard of that & I think that is a great idea (as well as all the ideas given!), but particularly timely since my family just buried my father-in-law at Arlington Cemetery. He was a Lt Col & considered a war hero. He got the "works" service - very moving. (sorry...tangent)

I just love this forum!
Old 08-01-13, 08:27 PM  
LauraBella

Remember to get a tax credit form if you donate to a charity!
Old 08-01-13, 08:47 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverly7 View Post
I do purges sometimes and I almost always donate to the library. A bonus is I feel satisfaction when I go to the library and see their greatly expanded collection, thanks in large part to yours truly.
I liked donating to the library until I found out that the donations get put in their book sale. Not that it's a big deal but my intent was to add to their inventory for people to check out. Some of my local libraries have decent fitness DVD selections but I think there is always room for more!
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13, 05:38 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

To get rid of things quickly and easily, I donate to Goodwill. I would rather take the tax deduction than have to go through the hassle of trying to sell things. However, years back, I sold off numerous exercise videos as lots on Ebay. If you buy from Amazon, then the trade-in can be good, but sometimes they will downgrade the condition and give you less than you expect.

What about the Ya Yas board? They have a forum for selling.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-13, 02:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissy B View Post
I do donate books and DVDs to the library, but just be aware that they don't put all donated items into their system. Sometimes they are sold at their book sales.
when i wanted to add my DVDs to the library's collection, i wrote a letter to the librarian with the proviso that if she chose not to add them, she must return them back to me.

she ended up keeping most of the titles and adding them to the collection.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downsizing, large collection, purging dvds