Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Vendor Comments/Reviews

Old 04-12-12, 11:46 AM  
Cowgirl32

Turbo Fire Starter, Low HIIT 20, and low HIIT 25

-Initial Impressions: I have done each workout twice. You will love these if you hate jumping, love TJ or TF, and enjoy Chalene. These can be intense if your moves are big enough and you go low enough into your lower body. The cast is the made up of similar faces, but from success stories from the original Turbo Fire set. The modifier is Ali from the original set and the advanced modifier is Arnaldo(spelling?) and I have never seen his face from the other sets. So if you wanted to you could add jumping to make it even more intense. The music includes Britney Spears, Pink, and other popular songs.

Fire Starter(37:00 minutes):

*Warm up-typical chalene warm up, double bob, reach and pull, hip flexor/hamstring stretch

*Jab, cross, hook, upper cut combo-slow tempo(31:00)
*step upper cut
*Side punch/front punch
*Clockwork
*twist

*Double Bob and knee lift/Jab(option to swing your arms)(22:35)
*Round house kick with "W"
*Front push kick, back kick, knee
*Triple jab cross

*Two knees and four crosses punch down(14:33)
*Reach jab cross(half-time)
*Two knees to the front and to the back
*Knee, front push kick, Knee, back kick.
*Front kick, back kick(half-time)
*March three knee, or you can run instead
*clock work front and side

Cool Down(5:15)
*Typical squats up and down
*Low squat and round house combo(low intensity)
*The fire thrower(practice/low intensity)
*stretch

Comments: This is a slowed down version of the typical Turbofire moves/workout. If you love Turbo Jam you'll like those. They have the low and advanced modifier.

Low HIIT 20:

*Warm-up:
*Squat knee up
*Sumo squat
*Shoulder rolls

*First turbo Preview(still apart of the warm-up):
*Jab knee(singles and doubles)
*eight punches
*Jab, jab speed bag/lunge down
*four squats
*Four point lunge(front, front corner, back corner, back)
*upper cuts in plie position
*zig-zag(elbows to the thighs)
*Sumo squat burpee

*First turbo with intensity(16:00)
*recover by reviewing at low intensity

*First turbo with intensity-second time through(13:56)

*Second turbo Preview/recovery:
*Double bob and strike(pulling down past the knee)
*Zig-zag, left hands up and toes up
*Copeiera
*Raise your glass/and knees up/balance(Pink's song of course is used)
*Punch up high and touch the floor
*double bob/block and through your hands left/right

*Second turbo with intensity(11:23)
*recover by reviewing at low intensity

*Second turbo with intensity-second time through(9:03)

*Third turbo preview/recovery:
*Speed bag rainbow while in plie position
*step bag with rowing arms
*four jabs right and squat and tap the floor
*four jabs left and lunge back
*run/march up, three-step back

*Third turbo with intensity(6:40)
*recover by reviewing

*Third turbo with intesnity-second time through(4:26)

*Cool down: (3:13)
*Squats up and down
*Step jab front
*Strech(side to side, hip flexor etc.)

Comments: I would learn the FORM, and you will get an intense workout. My HRM had my Heart rate up around 170. My abs and lower body felt this the day after!

Low HIIT 25 minute:

*Warm-up:
*same exact warm-up

*First turbo preview(still warming up)
*speed bag and lunge front and back-
*Lunge leg back and shoot
*curtsy lunge and shoot
*squat three and throw your arms(working obliques)

*First turbo full intensity(18:31)
*Recovery and review the turbo

*First turbo full intensity-second time through(16:02)
*Recovery and second turbo review:

*Second turbo:
*High low eight-both sides
*High low(half time)
*four jabs right
*squat and lift your arms
*four jabs left
*squat and lift your arms
*zig zag left
*lunge back left and sumo arms
*zig zag right
*lung back right and sumo arms
*Jab knee, singles and doubles
*High punches, and hit the floor

*Second turbo full intensity(13:30)
*recovery and review

*Second turbo full intensity-second time through(10:55)
*rocovery and third turbo review:

*Third turbo:
*modified sumo lunge right
*tap your ankles wheel and pull left knee up
*modified sumo lunge left
*crosses left and right, pull right knee up
*Mud run
*lunge back left, shoot
*mud run
*lunge back right, shoot

*Third turbo full intensity(8:20)
*recovery/ Turbo in review

*Third turbo full intensity-second time through(5:47)
*recovery

*Third turbo-third time through(4:20)
*Rocovery

*Cool down/stretch(2:56)
*exactly the same has HIIT 20

Comments: Full range of motion and getting down into your lower body seems to be key to the high intensity component. Also, these moves are done on the left and right side. I just don't make that clear in the break down of the moves.
Old 04-12-12, 04:19 PM  
iPodLuvver

Wow Cowgirl32, thanks so much for the rave and detailed review. I knew I wanted these and your breakdown has made me certain it's the way to go. I can't handle the original TF (which I've had since August) so I'm hoping that after a few months of doing this set I can get my original set out of hiding and feel the "burn"! Plus they'll be a great set to go to when I don't feel like jumping so I'll get a lot of use out of them even if I do manage to get into TF proper. Thanks again
iPodLuvver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-12, 09:28 PM  
Snuckles

Did the HIITs really feel like HIITs to you? Did you find yourself out of breath?
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-12, 06:59 AM  
Cowgirl32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
Did the HIITs really feel like HIITs to you? Did you find yourself out of breath?
My HRM had my Heart rate about 170-172 when I really went low enough into the moves. However, I feel more 'winded' and huffy and puffy with the original TF videos. But you will get your HR up there if you go all out. You get out of it what you put into it.
Old 04-22-12, 04:31 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

So, I tried Low Impact Hiit 25 today for the first time, and I don't know if it is because I am new to the moves, but it hurt my knees. Cathe's New Low Impact Series never hurt my knees once, and most high impact stuff doesn't hurt my knees (I've never hurt my knees doing Insanity or Cathe Hiit workouts or TF regular Hiit workouts). Some of the moves seem awkward - I think it may have been the curtsy lunge move (and I do lots of these in Tonique - and Tonique actually feels good on my knees), it was just weird, I think maybe I was trying too hard to go big cause I wasn't getting my heart rate up high enough. It's like they are doing this weird thing that is like jumping but not jumping (does that make sense) with a lot of the moves and I think I just tried to hard but pulled back when I was going to actually jump, or something. Anyways, I feel tempted to just trade them because I feel reluctant to pick them up again - I really can't think of when I've hurt my knees like this before - it was sharp pain, not soreness. Should I give them another shot? Has anyone felt Hiit 25 to be awkward and then it got better once you learned the moves better? Perhaps once I knew the moves better the intensity would come up as well . . .
Old 04-22-12, 05:52 PM  
koinonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuckles View Post
For me personally, it didn't feel like a HIIT workout and I wasn't out of breath. I've done TF's regular HIIT workouts which are much more intense IMO. Chalene put these workouts for people to work up to the regular HIIT workouts (at least that's what I remember reading or heard somewhere). They do feel intermediate level and might be challenging for those new to Turbo Fire. But if you've done the regular TF HIIT workouts and use to the pace, these will not be very challenging.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-12, 07:46 PM  
A-Bot
VF Supporter

In the little video she had she did say that they may be even more tough than some of the previous TF Hiits (she did say that), but they are marketed in the starter pack - and I didn't feel this way (that they were harder). I thought perhaps they might become tougher? Not sure if I will give them another shot after today. I may end up trading them. I was so excited too for some cool Low Impact/High Intensity stuff . . to mix things up as I do a lot of high intensity and I love having Cathe's new series for the diversity.
Old 04-22-12, 08:09 PM  
koinonia

A-Bot, I agree with you that they didn't feel more difficult than the other TF HIITs. I'm not sure if I want to do them again either.

Also, what Cathe series are you referring to? Can you provide a link? Thanks.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 05:18 AM  
bearcatfan

Can we get this moved to General Discussion?

I did Firestarter this morning, and was surprised at how much I liked it. I felt this was going to be the one I liked least, and I think I liked it the most.

I have only done the 20 minute, and it was hard keeping grounded. I, too, felt it was less a HIIT workout than a regular cardio workout. But it was still pretty good.
Old 05-07-12, 08:27 AM  
Conni

I have done all three, and I really like Firestarter. The Hiits are going to take a little tweeking. I can do most of the low impact moves, but I find myself jumping to raise my heartrate to the anerobic level needed. That is fine by me, I really like the Hiit's that Chalene does. Maybe in time I can dig a little deeper and not need to jump to achieve the level I am looking for.

Tags
chalene, chalene johnson, low impact hiit, turbo fire, turbo fire starter, turbofire