Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-11, 07:38 AM  
Sunworshipper

I have also bought the Walmart 10 lb and TJ Maxx 15 lb. They are clunky but I am too cheap to buy anything else at this point. I tried Bob's kb workouts (hated it, so much set up and blabber plus he's kind of an ass - JMO). I tried Brook's butts and guts on Sunday and am still feeling it today, in a good way! I rarely get DOMS anymore! That was a great workout. Am planning on Katami's KB drills today.

I do find the kbs awkward tho not sure if its me or them, probably me.. Its one thing I find unpleasant in the workouts. I hit my legs or arms frequently. I hope to grow out of this.
Old 03-30-11, 07:43 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunworshipper View Post
I have also bought the Walmart 10 lb and TJ Maxx 15 lb. They are clunky but I am too cheap to buy anything else at this point. I tried Bob's kb workouts (hated it, so much set up and blabber plus he's kind of an ass - JMO). I tried Brook's butts and guts on Sunday and am still feeling it today, in a good way! I rarely get DOMS anymore! That was a great workout. Am planning on Katami's KB drills today.

I do find the kbs awkward tho not sure if its me or them, probably me.. Its one thing I find unpleasant in the workouts. I hit my legs or arms frequently. I hope to grow out of this.
So is a kettlebell not a kettlebell? I'm guessing from the responses that the shape makes a difference? Is the cheapie TJ Maxx version more awkward than the more expensive 'contoured' variety?? What should one look for in a kettlebell?

I'm quite confused.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:00 AM  
Fit Mommy

I agree with Rozy on this one...start with a 10 pound bell and do brook benten butts and guts....great intro to kbells with an awesome calorie burn! You will love it! When you feel comfortable, just up your weight and move on to more intense instructors like Sarah lurie or Lauren brooks!
Fit Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:18 AM  
Missiscipi

Here is the Tone crappy one people mentioned
http://www.amazon.com/Tone-Fitess--P...1490959&sr=8-1

Here is a regular kettlebell (ignore the weight just a example)
http://www.amazon.com/Fit-30-Pound-C...490992&sr=8-10

Contoured bell (you dont have to get these- its just a preference)
http://www.amazon.com/Bob-Harper-Con...1491083&sr=1-1
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:20 AM  
Missiscipi

And if you have the Tone kettlebell it would be fine for Brooks Butts and Guts since you aren't doing any snatches or stuff the clunkiness would make a difference (well my opinion anyway)
Old 03-30-11, 08:26 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Thanks, Rozy! You're clearing the haze for me.
Old 03-30-11, 08:34 AM  
Missiscipi

Oh and I agree with Cassy...Butts and Guts isn't traditional kettlebell work, well she does some traditional moves but applies them in a cardio intensive, endurance workout that is non stop but it is an effective workout. I call it Tonique on crack
Old 03-30-11, 01:15 PM  
caligurl

who are you kidding! lol! once you buy one they will multiply like rabbits (both the bells and the dvd's to go with them!

i haven't even been doing KBs for a month yet and i've already bought and returned the contoured ones... bought "real" KBs (from mbody... really nice bells and great price!) to to replace those: 2 each of 4, 6, and 12 kg and 1 16 kg!

i've also bought: 2 bob's (returned one unopened and wouldn't recommend the other, really), jillian's (wouldn't recommend), sarah lurie's targer set, lauren brooks vol 1 (my FAVE!), AOS vol 1 and vol 2 (kettlebell way and empire state, AOS providence, mb45, hmmmmm feel like i'm forgetting someone here???

it's also led to an offshoot: i'm getting ready to order rip:60 cuz i want lauren's vol 3 that uses a TRX! (and i'll definitely be ordering her vol 2! LOVE her!)

OY! i had no idea this was such an expensive little side workout area! \

and reading this thread... i now want the butts and guts and other one mentioned cuz they sound fun!

happy kettlebelling!!!!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 01:46 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Well, this has been a very informative thread. We just renovated our kitchen and I'm about to have another baby, so I'm thinking this might not be the right time for me to get into kettlebells.

Despite all the fabulous enabling by Rozy and others, I think I might table it until next year.

Thanks for all the input!
Old 03-30-11, 02:09 PM  
wlorrie

One quick question...I'm a relatively strong person who wants to try some serious kettllebell training. Would you suggest starting off with 10 lb kettlebells, or should I try some heavier ones? 10 lbs would be very light for me with normal weight training, but that may not be the case with kettlebell training. Thanks!
Lorrie
wlorrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells for beginners