Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-31-11, 08:02 AM  
Juli

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortie View Post
Butts and Guts reminds me a little of Kettlenetics -- much beloved by some as cardio with a smaller kettlebell, but derided by others as not being real kettlebell work.
I have a virgin kettlesomething at home - maybe it's kettlenetics. My Mom picked it up at the Goodwill. Maybe that should be next on my ALL MY WORKOUTS list.

"Que Shiraz Shiraz"
Juli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 12:28 PM  
KathAL79

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the vast resources of previous threads here at VF. Here are some links for those who really want to sink their teeth into kettlebells, specifically those who want to get into the hard-style (RKC, AOS, etc.) or soft- / competition-style (IKFF, etc.) rather than Kettlenetics, Angie Miller, etc.:
The Everything Kettlebells Thread
results of a tag search for "kettlebells for beginners"
results of a tag search for "kettlebell beginner"
results of a tag search for "kettlebell instruction" (includes threads recently posted by Samantha, aka editstein, with Steve Cotter's instructional clips about IKFF form)
results of a tag search for "kettlebell tutorial"

I've shared it before, but I'll share it again: If you're going into more RKC-type kettlebells, there is no need for something a 10 lb. kettlebell. Just use your dumbbell of the equivalent weight and save your money for a heavier one, because you are going to find you will move up pretty quickly once you get the form down, especially once you realize going too light leads to some bad habits. I started with one 15 lb. and one 20 lb. (couldn't find an 8 kg, or 17.6 lb., in local stores to which I had gift certificates), and within a few months I had one 25 lbs. Those served me very well for a while. I eventually ended up getting matching pairs (primarily because I don't have heavier dumbbells at home, so I use the kettlebells in place of heavier dumbbells with other at-home programs), and for Christmas I got a 16 kg (~35 lb.).

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 01:14 PM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the vast resources of previous threads here at VF. Here are some links for those who really want to sink their teeth into kettlebells, specifically those who want to get into the hard-style (RKC, AOS, etc.) or soft- / competition-style (IKFF, etc.) rather than Kettlenetics, Angie Miller, etc.
The "everything" thread was invaluable to me! I spent hours reviewing the information provided on that thread and utilizing the search here at VF and reading KB workout reviews. Btw - thank you KathAL79, you've done so many wonderful reviews, what a resource!
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 03:18 PM  
KathAL79

Aw, thanks, violingirl!
We actually have a dearth of kettlebell DVD reviews, both for the Kettlenetics, Angie Millers, Paul Katamis, Bob Harpers, and Jillian Michaels as well as for the Pavels, Anthony DiLuglios, Lauren Brooks, Sarah Luries, Andrea DuCanes, Keith Webers, and Steve Cotters, so I encourage people to please, please post reviews both on the forum and in the VF reviews section. Some already have a few reviews (Amy Bento's Kettlebell Dynamics comes to mind), but even those that do have some need more.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:02 PM  
upperwside

I only have a 10 and a 15.. and that is all i want. They do me just fine with the videos that i have. I like kettlebells and enjoy doing them .. but i do not feel the need to go up in weight. I like them for the cardio effect... with a bonus of some strength. I am not hardcore... hee.
upperwside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 09:56 PM  
ilovemygreatdane

WOW Kath your post with all those links is great. I too have spent hours looking at a bunch of stuff. Thanks so much.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 10:14 PM  
Daizyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by upperwside View Post
I only have a 10 and a 15.. and that is all i want. They do me just fine with the videos that i have. I like kettlebells and enjoy doing them .. but i do not feel the need to go up in weight. I like them for the cardio effect... with a bonus of some strength. I am not hardcore... hee.
This is exactly what I am looking for. Which videos do you use? Thanks.
Daizyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 09:16 AM  
violingal3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizyduke View Post
This is exactly what I am looking for. Which videos do you use? Thanks.
That was my entry into KBs and what I mainly do - Bob, Paul and Brook Benten's workouts are my light KB workouts. I even find Sarah Lurie's Vol. 3 Express or Bootcamp workouts good for lighter KBs because she does go faster (and I'm not that strong/comfortable at that pace using heavier KBs).
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faq, kettlebell beginner, kettlebells for beginners