Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-16, 11:24 AM  
Tugger31

Thoughts on first Essentrics

I did Essentrics Full Body Toning this. This is my first Essentrics workout. I also never done any Classical Stretch before either so I have nothing for comparison there. I like the first 30 minute standing series b/c I can't get into yoga but I definitely need to stretch so I thought this offered stretching without boredom and sun salutations. I also like the music. The second 30 minute floor segment I didn't think was challenging at all. I am looking for something to thin on my quads, not sure if Essentrics will be the magic bullet or not. I'm not really into streaming so I'm looking for other Essentrics or maybe even Classical Stretch to expand my library. How do mother and daughter's teaching styles compare? I'm worried I'll be turned off by an "older/aged" instructor. I don't know why as I'm getting older myself!
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 07:54 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Both Miranda and Sahra are good instructors and do differ somewhat. Miranda isn't always as focused in some episodes and can ramble sometimes. She also doesn't always work each side evenly. I still find her charming and lovely. In Sahra's earlier Essentrics workouts she was a bit stiff in front of the camera and more serious. She's really come into her own and leads now with more confidence. She's excellent and I find her very motivating.

I like both and have Essentrics and Classical Stretch in my library! Tend to use CS a bit more for the outdoor locations and just more familiar with these, having done them for so many years! I do find Sahra a very pleasant alternative, though.

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:05 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

I like CS for variety but mostly do Essentrics. Somehow Sahra's upper body stretches seems to help my posture more. I do love the CS locations but use them more in the evenings when I just want to do something or feel sore/achy. CS and Essentrics are great for working out soreness.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:19 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love Essentrics, have everything, and agree with Pam's comments. There does tend to be a learning curve with the workouts.

I find the plies in the standing work and the side lying leg lifts to be pretty effective in leaning out the legs. Are you really pulling for the side of the room aka "medieval torture rack"? Is your body a straight line...not rolling forward and not bent at the hip?

I decided to get the Essentrics cert and teach and the pre choreographed workout #1 that you teach 30 times (!) is Sahra's Total Body Toning. I swear....that workout works. I didn't lose weight but wow did I slim down. People were asking me what I was doing for workouts and diet.

If I were you, I'd do streaming on ETV for a month. Do the tutorials and check out all the workouts. You may find you really like CS episodes and then again, maybe you prefer Sahra. I love both of them.

Essentrics always has a sale in November so then you'd have your list ready for what you'd like to order.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 12:10 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post

I decided to get the Essentrics cert and teach and the pre choreographed workout #1 that you teach 30 times (!) is Sahra's Total Body Toning. I swear....that workout works. I didn't lose weight but wow did I slim down. People were asking me what I was doing for workouts and diet.
Jackie, is that the dvd called "Full Body Toning" or is that the title of specific workout on one of her dvds? Seems like a good one to get consistent with!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 12:32 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I agree that there is definitely a learning curve with CS/Essentrics & good form is important to get the most benefit from the exercises. I find that the workouts do vary in intensity, some are very toning based and others feel like a lovely dynamic stretch. I tend to prefer Sahra as she is more focused & less chatty than Miranda. I agree with Jackie, a month of ETV streaming is a great idea to experiment and find which DVDs and/or seasons suit you best.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 12:44 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Jackie, is that the dvd called "Full Body Toning" or is that the title of specific workout on one of her dvds? Seems like a good one to get consistent with!
Yes...it is Full Body Toning. It is effective. As much as I hate windmills, I think they do a body good.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 12:56 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Yes...it is Full Body Toning. It is effective. As much as I hate windmills, I think they do a body good.
Yep, windmills are effective! I actually don't mind them...too much.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 01:39 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Oh boy, it's some sort of strange relief to know that you don't like them, too. I'm going to try to get consistent with this! It's hard for me to be consistent with CS/Essentrics, but maybe if I simplify to this one for a bit, and actually see some results, it'll happen. Thanks, Jackie and Pam!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 02:06 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I like the windmills....

But those side-lying leg lifts (AKA the medieval torture rack, what a good description!!) KILL me. The first time I did those, I could barely lift my leg, like, at all, and figured certainly I must be doing something wrong. I still wonder if I'm doing something wrong, but boy, do I feel the burn!! I have a bit better range of motion on those now, and a bit better endurance, but the twisting the leg so the foot faces down to the floor, not so much, not if I keep my hips still anyway! Ouch!!

I would say give the floor work a second chance, and I agree, I like Sahra more just for the focus/less chatty Cathy aspect!!
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classical stretch, essentrics