Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-18, 12:21 PM  
eannem

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. As I read more, I think I need to address hormonal issues- think this is perimenopause getting worse by the day. But I did re-subscribe to SBF as she has so many options as far as length and intensity. Also trying to add in walking as its getting warmer here.

Might try barre3 next, but I never really loved them. We'll see. Thanks again!
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 12:22 PM  
cindyw75

My success story started 4 years ago. I started working out "again" in preparation for a wedding I was attending. The usual "I want to look good for an event" mindset. But I approached it differently. I started doing workouts that were enjoyable to me. And I committed to the amount of time that worked for me. Somedays it was 15 minutes, other days it was 45 minutes. It was never more than 45 minutes, because I just didn't have it in me. No burpees for me, because I hated them at the time.

What I HIGHLY (highly, highly, highly) recommend is embracing the "anything is better than nothing" mindset. So, those days when you just don't want to workout, maybe squeeze in a 10-minute walk. And don't get discouraged. I also recommend Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 6-week transformation. It doesn't need too much equipment. All of the videos are only 30 minutes long, and she gives so many suggestions and modifications. It also comes with a 6-week rotation, so you don't have to think about what to do. You just follow the rotation calendar.

Ultimately, do what sounds/feels good. And don't get discouraged.
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-18, 05:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyw75 View Post
... What I HIGHLY (highly, highly, highly) recommend is embracing the "anything is better than nothing" mindset. So, those days when you just don't want to workout, maybe squeeze in a 10-minute walk. And don't get discouraged. ...
I've been on the stop/start/restart merry go round for a long time, but have finally begun to find success in recent months mostly because I've been more consistent than I was able to manage for a long time. J. Brown's yoga dvd with its segments of varied lengths really helped me KNOW that even 7 minutes of gentle yoga does make a difference to my body, if I'm fairly consistent with doing it.

Almost daily walks (of whatever length) were all I could manage for a while, but I'm still at it. As I've felt better and have been able to manage it, I've been adding back in my old favorite first thing in the morning Classical Stretch/Essentrics. Something about it helps me ease into the rest of the day.

Create some habits that seem to do you some good, and try to be consistent. Even a little bit makes a big difference.
Old 04-05-18, 06:23 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
My "success" story was having my doctor tell me for heart health I needed to do at least 30 minutes 5 days a week. The rest is pretty much history. That was a few months ago and other than a few weeks where I only got in 4 days a week, I've been consistent with that. On days I have more time or more energy I do a 45-60 minute workout or a 30 minute workout that is more intense. I started with getting Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 3 since all the workouts are 30 minutes. Now I've moved on to the FIRM workouts and I also did Cathe's new Fit Split set and kept my workouts to 30 minutes. The 30 minute time frame has helped tremendously with consistency.
This is very interesting. I have been meaning to do something like this. I prefer to have workouts around 30 minutes, but no more than 45 minutes max. Anything longer than that I skip segments or something to shorten it. Like my older Firms, skip the abs or something.

I should go through my DVDs and explore the shorter premixes and see what I have available. I am kind of over long workouts, I don't really have the energy or interest to be quite honest.

Thanks for sharing this.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 08:33 AM  
leigh1673

If you still love TA, her new Beginner Mat and Beginner Dance Cardio are great. She actually provides instructions! The Mat sections are 25 minutes each and the dance cardio is broken up into 15 minute sections.

I'd also suggest Jessica Smith's original Walk Strong set. All the workouts are 30 minutes and she's got an awesome blend of cardio, strength, stretch, etc.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 09:12 AM  
TinaT

If I were to offer just 1 suggestion, it would be this. Take your big, long term goal and break it into small ones. I started over a year ago creating 4 week goals. Every 4 weeks I would/will weigh and measure myself and look at how I did with my mini goals. Such as, drinking more water, working out so many days for the 4 weeks, tweaking my intake, etc. Then I would update my goals for the next 4 week period. Repeat. I am down 34 lbs and 35 inches.

Since 1 suggestion isn't enough for me, here's 1 more. Find what motivates you to move. We are all different and are drawn to different types of WOs. I will not stick with something if I don't enjoy it... No matter what the data says about results.

3rd.. be patient with your body and listen to it.

Good luck.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 01:55 PM  
ellaenchanted

I really enjoy Tone It Up workouts. They have a weekly schedule and will probably be doing their usual bikini challenge. I find that their weekly schedule can be very flexible. You can do just the toning moves or just one of the free youtube videos and maybe add in moderate cardio for a total of 30-45 minutes of exercise. I like to combine TIU with Pahla Bower's workouts (also on youtube). Pahla has some ready made programs on her website and she is very responsive on her Killer Bees facebook page. TIU now has the Studio TIU app (monthly fee).

I enjoy that the overall intensity is moderate for both PB and TIU. Also, both have very positive vibes in their workouts and leave me feeling happy.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-18, 02:33 PM  
slockhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Forgot to add that while we can't discuss diet here, don't underestimate what even small changes in your eating can do for your weight loss. I was doing 45-60 minute intense Cathe workouts and didn't change my diet at all. My result was fatigue and the scale didn't budge. Fast forward to my 30 minute workouts which did not leave me feeling fatigued, instead I felt more energetic which improved my attitude about life and my diet. I actually wanted to eat better instead of feeling like it was a chore when I was doing more intense workouts and feeling exhausted. I cut back on portions and junk and drank more water, no special diet plan and I easily dropped 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks.
I agree with this! I'm 49 and I was in the same boat, killing myself with super intense workouts, but eating too much junk. Intense cardio is not that great as we get older. I've changed up diet, cardio only about 3-4 times a week (with kettlebells) and then barre/pump style workouts.
Stacey
slockhart is offline   Reply With Quote