Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-17, 11:30 AM  
angie_nrs

Would the Squeeze workout be similar?

So, due to this thread I went looking for the GWW. I was sure I had it and then I watched a short clip and I KNEW I had this VHS tape somewhere. So I went looking and came up empty. Then I thought....did I sell it? So I went to my Ebay file and guess what? Yup, sold in 2007! Grrrrrr!!!! This is why I don't sell my workouts anymore. Now I'm intrigued and wondering......why did I sell it??
Old 01-08-17, 12:30 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Uh oh. I'm getting nostalgic about GWW now. Haven't had it for years. You say it's a DVD now? Hmmmm .....
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 12:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you look at that clip of Rajko, his arms are NOT bulky. that's what i like about high rep, low weight training for arms in my case.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-17, 08:57 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Wow thanks everyone!! I have a lot of new options to think about.

Elsie I do really like Linda, I use her barre and pilates work a lot for legs and core. I've never fallen in love with her upper body work, but will give the Pyramid workout a try. I remember that one got a lot of praise on GD when it first came out.

bzar Thank you for the Jari Love recommendations! I will check these out. I have never heard of Hour of Power, which is astonishing, even workouts I'm not interested in I still read about for curiosity sake (vidiot ), I'll have to see if my Sony player will play a PAL workout, because that one looks amazing! Thanks for the recommendation!

bearcatfan Thank you, I have TAM's Mat workout and have done it several times. I love the unweighted and weighted arms. The last time I did it (maybe 2 months ago) I tweaked my shoulder which took several days to heal, and it made me wary. But I'd done it probably 15 times in the past without any problem so I should revisit it.

angie_nrs I love the Squeeze/SS workouts, and they are definitely top of the line for barre arms, but they still seem to neglect the back like most barre workouts do, IMO. That's one of the things I really like about GWW, it is just so well balanced in just 20 minutes.

angie_nrs and Joni O Yes GWW is on DVD, is very nicely chaptered, and you can get it cheap if you're willing to get it used! I have probably had the workout for 10 years and never can seem to go long without pulling it out, I love how Karen jokes with her backgrounders and I really like the recognizable music. Like bzar mentioned, most people seem to love it for the lower body mat work, the mat ab work is also very good, but the upper body work is what made me fall in love with it.
Old 01-08-17, 11:36 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

ebianco, if you want to give HAM another try, he has several free workouts on YouTube.

Armatics Taster (12m, unweighted, but you could try 1-2 lb. weights--if you dare!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn6E...&index=1&t=13s

Classic Arms & Shoulders (24m, uses light weights, high reps):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomk...uNbCmX&index=2

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 07:19 AM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

Cathe Cross Train Express upper body segments combined (on one of the discs). Barbell is optional. Reps are high.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 09:29 AM  
Garrie A.

I Karen's GWW! The upper body work was why I got it in the first place. Usually I only do the first 32 minutes, which also includes some standing lower body work. It makes a great add-on to Pilates. The floorwork is excellent and tough, but I don't do the ab work (which is crunch overkill for 15 minutes). I like that Karen's abwork is slow and controlled, but I'd rather do her abwork from Streamline Fitness or even Energy Sprint rather than GWW.
--------------------------------------------------------
CLX 6/19-9/19
STS Grad 11/19-2/20, 9/20-12/20

Current Focus:
Cathe STS 2.0

Check out my blog by clicking on the "Home Page" link under my profile name.
Garrie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 02:22 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I'm really tempted to re-purchase GWW and Energy Sprint. Blasts from the past.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 04:12 PM  
SimplyGlowing

I think an arm portion of Cindy Crawford's The Next Challenge would fit the bill as well. She moves fast from exercise to exercise. A minor criticism is that because of this pace it is hard to switch the weight if you want to go heavier for a particular muscle group (back for example). But I did not find it bothersome. The workout is free on Youtube, I believe, so you can give it a try.
SimplyGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-17, 07:15 PM  
angie_nrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
I'm really tempted to re-purchase GWW and Energy Sprint. Blasts from the past.
I hear ya......I'm weak and I caved. Having a chaptered DVD pushed me over the edge. However, I know I have Energy Sprint around here somewhere!

Tags
great weighted workout, margaret richard, rajko radovic