Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-17-16, 11:15 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannette View Post
Thanks for the review. I still haven't done this one. I've been preoccupied with the streaming site.
You're welcome! I'm totally thrilled they are coming out with another DVD already. Hopefully there will be many to come, with classic and also newer, updated moves. I really like the inclusion of planks and pushups in the new workouts.
Old 12-18-16, 01:56 PM  
SimplyGlowing

I have a question for all who have experience with callanetics. What kind of result one might expect with this sort of training? I am currently looking to diversify my routine as I feel my current routine no longer produces any physical results.
Thank you
SimplyGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 02:06 PM  
PhyllisG

I was wondering too. I have been looking at the clips for the 30 Day on Mary's site. I admit Callanetics never appealed to be before. Also Extreme and Pure Callanetics.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 02:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGlowing View Post
I have a question for all who have experience with callanetics. What kind of result one might expect with this sort of training? I am currently looking to diversify my routine as I feel my current routine no longer produces any physical results.
Thank you
anecdotal evidence:

my friend Ellen had a friend whom we'll call "Beth" for ease of discussion. when Ellen found out i had a vhs copy (this was in the 90s), she wanted to borrow it for Beth. Beth said "my boyfriend is coming in 1 week and Callanetics is the only thing that works effectively and quickly, and i want to look my best."

so Ellen borrowed it for Beth from me, and i got it back within the 2 weeks. Ellen was an aquatics instructor at the local YWCA and very wellness-oriented. i said "i know callanetics is effective, but wow, your friend apparently swears by it." IIRC, Beth lost her copy after having moved a few times.

if you have access to a local library, the book "Callanetics 10 Years Younger in 10 Hours" has both unretouched female and male progression pictures.

the blue Callan's video also has the butt pictures for a female student. she says "select a mark on one of the photos, and watch how it lifts as the pictures change."

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 04:55 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebianco View Post
You're welcome! I'm totally thrilled they are coming out with another DVD already. Hopefully there will be many to come, with classic and also newer, updated moves. I really like the inclusion of planks and pushups in the new workouts.
I like the planks and push-ups too, also the back work that Sandra uses as a counter balance to the original ab work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyGlowing View Post
Thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I was wondering too. I have been looking at the clips for the 30 Day on Mary's site. I admit Callanetics never appealed to be before. Also Extreme and Pure Callanetics.
I did the original Callanetics weekly for more years than I want to admit to. I've recently been using their streaming site for about 2.5 months. In that time I've been doing almost nothing else in an effort to reverse my rib thrusting, which was causing physical issues but also inactivating my abs. Can you say pot belly?

I have always had good results with any barre style workout. My abs are definitely flatter but remember I'm also no longer rib thrusting. I've been wearing my slimmer pants and feeling trim through the hips and thighs.

I've been checking in on Sandra's site and have been getting wonderful guidance. I'm not sure if you must be a streaming member to be part of the group. The link is below the streaming info.

Here's what I wrote today after doing a short Bar Method after doing just Callanetics (and one rebounding WO last week) for so long.

Quote:
18 – This morning I did Sandra’s Daily Stretch, a single set Callanetics bent knee Abs and the Katy Bowman dome stretches. Then I decided to attempt to stream one of the free Bar Method mini sessions. 20 minutes long. It streamed perfectly. Then I did a sauna.

The really cool thing is how different the Bar Method WO felt because of what I’ve learned through Callanetics. More relaxed and easier than before, yet deeply challenging. Even when I got my thigh muscles hopping around I was able to stay calm and keep going. Doing it gave me a chance to see how Callanetics has strengthened my body. I also craved the more balanced stretching Callanetics affords. It felt like I barely got settled into a stretch and it was over. 🙁
Interestingly enough I feel as though I’m carrying the meditative aspect of Callanetics into my daily life. If I’m stressed I notice that my body is tensed earlier and relax it. I think that tensing was making for muscle and even joint soreness that’s no longer there!
The streaming site is great. There are about 100 workouts now. Some are quite short but provide updated form review. The updated form makes a huge difference for me. There was a Black Friday special of 75% off of one month, not sure it's still good but if you google there's almost always a code.

Callan is Callan and she really still likes peaches. Lacey puts a Pilates spin on Callanetics. Adelaide kills you softly. Sandra blends in Somatics and Katy Bowman elements. Sandra also puts the accent on form. When my form elements are in place as taught by Sandra my pulses are so small they are barely more than a thought. If you want to get an idea of just how small the pulses can be and also experience Sandra's cuing check out THIS LINK.

I'm not sure when the new DVD will be on the streaming site but it should be there after the release. Pure and Extreme are already there.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-16, 05:18 PM  
mandie123

Also if you goggle callanetics results,alot of images before and afters will show up
Old 12-18-16, 05:24 PM  
Lannette

THIS is from the book. (Found it on google.) Hope it works.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 08:14 AM  
SimplyGlowing

Thank you so much everyone!
SimplyGlowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-16, 11:07 AM  
primrosecat

I don't like the muscled/waist look of the instructors. Just like most of the other instructors out there. Callan's workout resulted in a softer, more feminine look, which appeals to me. I won't be buying them, but I know that look is good for others.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-16, 03:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

any reviews on 30 Days to a more beautiful body?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, new callanetics