Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-14, 09:46 AM  
BunnyHop

I'm completely the wrong personality to do such a thing successfully, but I think I'd go the indie route.

Over the decades I've seen fitness studios come and go (sometimes because of corporate trouble, not the local business) and it seems to me that if you're running your own show, the control you'd have over your business would count for a lot.

On the other hand, I think that maintaining such a business requires a level of focus and dedication at least equal to the dedication you'd need to be a good teacher to your students.

Trends come and go, so you'd need to pick up on what has caught people's imagination, and figure out how to incorporate the important elements of that without coming across as mercenary, crass or badly informed. (I've seen some pole dancing places crash and burn, metaphorically speaking, and it was really not pretty.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 09:54 AM  
eannem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Yes, but it seems to be much easier to recruit clients if it's a brand with which they're familiar. I think the indies in my area struggle more than the big name studios.

Where are you in NoVA?

And like Sancho said, it's kind of situation dependent. The Bar Method (where I go) opened in a neighboring town that is known to be very rich. Of course, that's part of it's appeal. Rich people who will shell out $$ on barre classes. But there were already two established studios in that town, an indie and a Pure Barre.

Meanwhile, my town is much larger though more economically diverse (some rich pockets, some more working class areas.) It's really underserved for barre classes. There is a Pure Barre that does a HUGE business--classes are always packed. I really wish TBM had considered opening here! I think there is a lot of business to be had, and I know some PB clients are frustrated by how crowded classes can be and how difficult it is to get into some of the really popular class times.
I am in Arlington, VA and it sounds like it is much like your town. Very wealthy towns nearby and pockets of wealth here too (and underserved for barre classes). A few Pure Bar studios have opened nearby and there are a few independent ones. A little further away (not that far, but too far to make it worth the hike for me) are bar method, barre3 and xtend barre.

I have been in touch with a few of the franchises as well as some studios that provide training/licensing.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:09 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I moved out of Alexandria five years ago. There were no barre studios in the area (that I knew of) then, so it's great to hear that there are so many options now! I knew a Bar Method had opened in Tyson's Corner, but yes, it DC area traffic, that would take 45 minutes from Arlington!

Another thought is the Dailey Method. It's mostly a west coast chain, very few on the east coast, but it might be worth looking into. I've taken a few classes there when I've been out west earlier this year and I liked it. It's not well represented on the east coast, and might be a 'new and different' option in your area.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 10:14 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
I like BarreAmped best but think barre3 gives a ton of support to franchises.
Cheri, are BarreAmped stand-alone studios? It looked to me like it was a certification Suzanne does for gyms and other fitness studios to teach BarreAmped classes at their facilities.
Old 12-11-14, 10:59 AM  
neatski

Barre3. I absolutely adore their studio culture. I love the on-site childcare. I love how they focus on health and wellness without hyperfocusing on appearance. They're not snooty. I've thought about pursuing this at some point, too.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 01:00 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Cheri, are BarreAmped stand-alone studios? It looked to me like it was a certification Suzanne does for gyms and other fitness studios to teach BarreAmped classes at their facilities.
You are correct. You get certified and can then offer BarreAmped in an existing studio. I think that's great but knowing me, I'd want lots of support if I opened my own studio. For those with extensive background in barre/pilates/dance, or who are just teaching BA in an existing studio, the BarreAmped is a good choice.
Old 12-11-14, 01:29 PM  
meg39

Most of the big franchise barre studios are in that area aren't they? Is there any one particular method that clicks more with you than the others?

My son's gf goes to Barre3 in Georgetown and just loves it! I'd love to try it out one of these days.
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 02:43 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatski View Post
Barre3. I absolutely adore their studio culture. I love the on-site childcare.
Yes, childcare is a huge feather in barre3's cap! The Dailey Method offers childcare at some locations, too. I'm sure it adds a level of headache to owners, but wow, what a great service to offer. That would majorly expand your possible client base. Something to consider!
Old 12-11-14, 05:30 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I have a dream that's a variation of your dream. Because my dream involves older adults, adults with physical limitations, and special needs adults, I don't think I would go with a franchise.

My pipe dream is to offer T-Tapp, Classical Stretch, Callanetics, and easy low-impact cardio. I, personally, love the synergy of having these in my week/month.

I also believe these three would bring the quickest relief to the ills of my dream clientele as well as the quickest results (posture, flexibility, balance, cardio endurance--these three also work the muscles from origin to insertion, concentrically and eccentrically, so they will help in bone rebuilding), and provide a base for any further resistance work they wanted to pursue on their own.
Wow...this is almost exactly my pipe-dream. I guess instead of Classical Stretch I would say yoga, but I haven't tried CS. I probably will one day (I even have some CS DVDs that are still virgins! *sigh*)

My beloved teacher, Judy Mooser, once went with Callanetics decades ago because it gave her the relief she needed for her back injury. But Callanetics has had management problems for almost that entire time. In the last 2-3 years before she passed away, she started working with Sadie Lincoln (Barre3) because they both thought it would be mutually beneficial from a business standpoint: Sadie was aware she was losing the market that Judy had (and was the one who approached Judy about a business arrangement) and Judy wasn't getting the exposure she used to enjoy from the Callanetics brand. (They offered a class they called Barre3 Rebound which as basically Callanetics, or Barre3 at a slower pace.)

I think Sadie really has something with her branding that the other studios are missing (not that they aren't doing what the need to with branding or aren't offering great programs...just that Barre3 seems to have an extra spark.) But I also think what will work for you is the one that you like/believe in the most personally. The DC area, while it is big market, it also is competitive and expensive to run a business, and I think it will be easier to weather the difficulties if you believe in your brand.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 08:05 PM  
eannem

Thanks for all the feedback and thoughts!
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote