Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-14, 05:59 AM  
eannem

if you could open your own barre studio

which franchise would you go with? or would you go without franchise?

my youngest started kindergarten this year and i am seriously considering pursuing my pipe-dream….
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 06:41 AM  
Demeris

I have a dream that's a variation of your dream. Because my dream involves older adults, adults with physical limitations, and special needs adults, I don't think I would go with a franchise.

My pipe dream is to offer T-Tapp, Classical Stretch, Callanetics, and easy low-impact cardio. I, personally, love the synergy of having these in my week/month.

I also believe these three would bring the quickest relief to the ills of my dream clientele as well as the quickest results (posture, flexibility, balance, cardio endurance--these three also work the muscles from origin to insertion, concentrically and eccentrically, so they will help in bone rebuilding), and provide a base for any further resistance work they wanted to pursue on their own.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 07:37 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I would open an independent studio. As great as it is to have the support of a national franchise, I would probably chaff at having to follow a prescribed format!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 07:58 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I would open a Barre 3 studio because every time my back gets tight or I have issues this is my go to format.
Old 12-11-14, 08:01 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Eannem, do you have training in any particular method?
Old 12-11-14, 08:18 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
I'm not barre person, but if I was going to look into it, I would look at it from a business perspective. I'd talk to the franchises to see what support they offer and the investment amount. I don't think a particular method is as important as finding out what they offer.

In the end, going on your own may be the better choice, but it's more of a business decision than a decision over which method you like better.
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-14, 09:05 AM  
eannem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Eannem, do you have training in any particular method?
i don't have training in a particular method.
Old 12-11-14, 09:07 AM  
eannem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
I'm not barre person, but if I was going to look into it, I would look at it from a business perspective. I'd talk to the franchises to see what support they offer and the investment amount. I don't think a particular method is as important as finding out what they offer.

In the end, going on your own may be the better choice, but it's more of a business decision than a decision over which method you like better.
Agree and its a tough call. The franchises do offer a lot of support however they charge a lot for that support.
Old 12-11-14, 09:29 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eannem View Post
Agree and its a tough call. The franchises do offer a lot of support however they charge a lot for that support.
Yes, but it seems to be much easier to recruit clients if it's a brand with which they're familiar. I think the indies in my area struggle more than the big name studios.

Where are you in NoVA?

And like Sancho said, it's kind of situation dependent. The Bar Method (where I go) opened in a neighboring town that is known to be very rich. Of course, that's part of it's appeal. Rich people who will shell out $$ on barre classes. But there were already two established studios in that town, an indie and a Pure Barre.

Meanwhile, my town is much larger though more economically diverse (some rich pockets, some more working class areas.) It's really underserved for barre classes. There is a Pure Barre that does a HUGE business--classes are always packed. I really wish TBM had considered opening here! I think there is a lot of business to be had, and I know some PB clients are frustrated by how crowded classes can be and how difficult it is to get into some of the really popular class times.
Old 12-11-14, 09:34 AM  
cherimac

I like BarreAmped best but think barre3 gives a ton of support to franchises.