Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-14, 03:13 AM  
daisyfit

Pregnancy DVDs for an advanced exerciser?

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a pregnancy dvd that would be suitable for myself. I'm in the second trimester of my first pregnancy and feeling very excited. Prior to getting pregnant, I would have been an advanced exerciser doing Shaun t, Cathe and Michelle Dozois workouts. I'd like to try some pregnancy workout DVDs.
daisyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 03:36 AM  
cristinalatina

My my a friend from my neighbourhood! Whereabouts in Ireland are you? I'm in Northern Ireland but I love Dublin, Cork, and hope to arrange holidays in Kilkenny soon!

I'm not advanced in any way, shape or form, but I can recommend the Perfect Pregnancy workout which is at least solid intermediate and an excellent one, as well as the Tracy Anderson set which I wasn't able to pull off when pregnant!
Old 05-29-14, 07:05 AM  
lavna

Fusion fitness has a pregnancy workout called Bump that's considered advanced. Many people who are not pregnant do it and find it quite challenging! Mary at totalfitnessdvds has a long clip on her website.

Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 07:11 AM  
eannem

leah sarago has a prenatal workout that is tough.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-14, 11:56 PM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I mostly modified my intermediate workouts during my second trimester -- I found my Gilad and Kelly Coffey-Meyer strength workouts were perfect for this since I mostly use my light-moderate weights (i.e. mostly 5-12 lbs) for these workouts. I really enjoyed the Bar Method Pregnancy Workout through my second and third trimesters, and I did Ellen Barrett's fusion cardio workouts (as well as Ruah) throughout my pregnancy. My favorite tough yoga video was Jennifer Wolfe's Prenatal Vinyasa Yoga... I did this with trimester-appropriate modifications till I hit week 38 or so! In my third trimester, as I was slowing down a bit, I really enjoyed Jane Austin's Prenatal Yoga DVD. I didn't try Erin O'Brien's DVDs but I love her non-prenatal stuff so I trust she did a good job on the prenatal front!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 01:30 AM  
daisyfit

Great advice thanks. I'm just thinking would it be possible to adapt some of the Cathe workouts?
Old 05-30-14, 01:36 AM  
mrsyancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyfit View Post
Great advice thanks. I'm just thinking would it be possible to adapt some of the Cathe workouts?
I did all the way thru my third trimester and just modified where I needed to.....my doc was fine with it and I felt good so I did it until about three weeks before my due date

So as long as you and your doc are ok with it then go for it and just modify where needed
mrsyancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-14, 02:05 AM  
daisyfit

Great thanks Mrsyancy. Did you leave out the step workouts or could they be doable on no risers?
Old 06-02-14, 12:15 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

My nurse-midwife always said "your body will tell you when to stop doing stuff" -- no hard and fast rules about what to do/not do (e.g. stop lying on your back at 20 weeks vs. you won't want to lie on your back at some point!) Enjoy, listen to your body and keep on working out
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-14, 11:02 AM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyfit View Post
I was wondering if anyone can recommend a pregnancy dvd that would be suitable for myself. I'm in the second trimester of my first pregnancy and feeling very excited. Prior to getting pregnant, I would have been an advanced exerciser doing Shaun t, Cathe and Michelle Dozois workouts. I'd like to try some pregnancy workout DVDs.
The most challenging prenatal workout I tried so far is Lauren Brook's Baby Bells. It is a little expensive though, it is basically a full body strength workout using kettle bells with modifications for later stages in pregnancy. It is a pretty good workout pregnant or not, but I would say it is more intermediate for non pregnant people (easier than Lauren's other dads but still a good workout). I am a little unsure about doing kettle bell swings (or other explosive movements) during pregnancy mainly because of the hormones that make the joints more lax. I subbed them for suitcase dead lifts. Clips from youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL4FjWDPNX0

Another nice set is "Expecting More" by Sara Haley. It has six workouts including an athletic drills type workout, a hip hop dance cardio, a yoga fusion, some light weight toning/strength (some of the bodyweight work is challenging). It is meant for women who were already exercising prior to pregnancy. I was a little disappointed in the dance workout, I would have preferred more combinations/choreography. The trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu8T8cGNlpY

You might also like Lindsey Brinns prenatal series--it has a workout for each trimester and a post natal boot camp. I only did the first trimester workout and it was pretty good. It was basically intervals of aerobic drills alternated with strength. I found her cuing too cutesy for my taste especially whenever she called the flutes "bun cakes". I would say this is intermediate, but most prenatal workouts are a little cautious which isn't a bad thing. It wasn't quite as challenging as the other two I mentioned though. Some clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QP5rqsF9d4 , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F98o1k4SeY,

On Youtube, Keaira LaShae has a few prenatal workouts including this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVMRCH5CpGA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_chmJYspx0A , they seem similar in intensity to walking videos but are just a couple low impact cardio options.

I am a big fan of Leah so would probably buy her prenatal, but I haven't tried it so can't comment. I have her other DVDs. I think there are quite a few good barre/fusion type prenatal workouts out now, but none of the instructors you mentioned fit that category. I do think barre and similar would be really beneficial for keeping the hips and back strong.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
prenatal